Having 2nd Thoughts

RealAussie

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 1520 because I wanted a phablet and really liked the look of the Windows environment on their phone and the specs of the 1520, but with this whole fiasco of releasing the 8.1 update is becoming more than a disappointment. Here I am in Australia waiting for an update that has been distributed elsewhere and reading about updates for apps running 8.1 and now the pending release of 8.1 v1 and I'm still running an older OS on a phone and it's not even my choice to do so.

I've always owned an iPhone which is updated worldwide at the same time and not really had any issue with it. I suppose I wanted to have something new and different because it seems these days almost everybody has an iPhone. But now I just feel like I'm far behind in leading technology. It seems I'm using outdated technology developed by a company that doesn't know how to keep up or maybe just doesn't want to make that effort.

It's a shame because potentially the WP could be a contender to compete against the burgeoning iPhone market, but given their approach to their own OS I suppose that's not very likely to happen in the near future. I didn't even know there was a Windows Phone until I read about the 1320.

I like my 1520, I like the way it looks, but I don't think I want to commit to something where the company that develops it can't be bothered to distribute it's updates succinctly. I want to be at the forefront of technology not forced to stay behind.

michaelkriss

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel it is the nature of the beast when you have dozens of different phone models and manufacturers. If you look at the iPhone there are 2 new models right now with maybe 2 - 3 others supported with new updates. Their hardware is so similar that it is much easier to have that all roll out at the same time, not to mention the relationship Apple has with the carriers which is much stronger than Nokia or Microsoft at the moment.
8.1 officially didn't start rolling out until a couple weeks ago, Microsoft was kind enough to provide us with the developer preview to bypass some of the restrictions carriers up on testing. If you ever look over at the mess that is Android for updates I think you will see we are not as bad off as them, even if that doesn't make us as quick as Apple. With Nokia/Microsoft phone though you should be well supported though even if it does take some time.
Best of luck to you and fingers crossed the update comes soon.

ultravi0let

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I've owned all 3. As frustrating as it was played out to be with Cyan update, it is no comparison with the tragedy that is Android. And do not forget that the major update with iOS from 5 to 6 was very buggy from start to end, not to mention that they let you install iOS 7 on devices they knew would be so slow to the point they basically forced you to buy new phones a la 4/4s to 5/5c/5s. The grass is always greener on the other side.
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos