Got a Lumia 920 and love it, but have one complaint

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
After being on WP7 for almost 3 years, I finally got a 920. Its still considered an older phone, but its new enough for me. It came with the Black update and has Cortana and many of the new features, so im not really in a hurry to get Cyan. I am enjoying it the way it is now. The camera is a downgrade from my Titan II, but the camera software is certainly better.

My only complain is the corners. The freaking corners. Why did they make the corners of the phone so sharp and prominent? Was it for the unibody design? Is it easier to hold as a camera? I really don't get it! The design of the phone looks great until you actually hold it. Unless my hand is like, centered on the phone, the corners dig in to my palms! If I hold the phone up to my ear long enough I start to noticed the corners hurting my ear! I feel like if I was getting mugged I could just crack the guy over the head with one of those corners and knock him out!

Since im a few years lateo n this thread, does anyone like the corners? Is there a case you would recommend that would make it easier to carry? Are all Lumias built this way?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Definitely get a case. Preferably a TPU one if possible. Incipio makes really good cases and are on sale for $5 at the Microsoftstore.com right now. Can't go wrong with that price.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I used to have an HTC Titan, I know it is not the 2, but I can tell you without a doubt I think the Nokia phone is built way better...I had to worst time with the Titan and holding it, it would drop the signal, HTC was worthless in their support, so I swore them off...
I don't mind the corners of the phone and the shape, I still get compliments on the phone and people hold it and can tell it is durable...
Check out here for cases:
Microsoft Store - Search Results

I personally bought this case and love it, doesn't add much bulk, but makes me know it's protected:
Buy Incipio Faxion case for Nokia Lumia 920 - Microsoft Store

Good luck! There is a lot of great features the 8.1 brings to the table, but coming from WP 7.5/7.8, its night and day

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 doesn't have Cortana. That's coming with WP 8.1. You've always been able to give voice commands, but it's not the same thing.

Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the design, but I've found the corners to be uncomfortable when playing some games, but it's a minor issue. Most other Lumias that have come since have done away with the sharp corners. Cases help, but I don't like the added bulk. I think they made handling the phone a but more troublesome.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My phone does have Cortana. Its not the Tell Me thing. It is Cortana. I got the phone off ebay. Maybe they installed Dev Preview before they sent it to me? I don't know, but it is Cortana.

I had a Casemate for my Titan and loved it. I have never used an Incipio but ill give it a shot. $5 is certainly worth getting.

EDIT: My OS version is 8.10.12382.878. Software is Windows Phone 8.1. Would it say anywhere if I had the dev preview or the official release?

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My phone does have Cortana. Its not the Tell Me thing. It is Cortana. I got the phone off ebay. Maybe they installed Dev Preview before they sent it to me? I don't know, but it is Cortana.

I had a Casemate for my Titan and loved it. I have never used an Incipio but ill give it a shot. $5 is certainly worth getting.

EDIT: My OS version is 8.10.12382.878. Software is Windows Phone 8.1. Would it say anywhere if I had the dev preview or the official release?

I had a casemate and it cracked a few months of use on my Titan...nice thing about the microsoftstore is they ship for free and use UPS...they could have loaded DP on it, and then did a factory reset...will leave DP on it

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Definitely get a case. Preferably a TPU one if possible. Incipio makes really good cases and are on sale for $5 at the Microsoftstore.com right now. Can't go wrong with that price.

Just got the black case from the MS store. Thanks for the info about the deal! They are still more than that on Amazon.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a casemate and it cracked a few months of use on my Titan...nice thing about the microsoftstore is they ship for free and use UPS...they could have loaded DP on it, and then did a factory reset...will leave DP on it

Oh okay, that makes sense. It certainly looked like they did a factory reset, but they did me the favor of installing dev preview. Guess I cant argue with that!

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Oh okay, that makes sense. It certainly looked like they did a factory reset, but they did me the favor of installing dev preview. Guess I cant argue with that!

Just remember, as of now, when the official cyan update comes out for the 920, you will have to flash the phone back to 8.0 to update...its simple to do and there is a guide on the site of how to do it

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

In the meantime sign up for Developer Preview so that you can install it on your phone. It will not auto update unless you install it using your MSFT account.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe the DP is already installed. Do I just have to sign up for it officially or do I have to reinstall it under my account?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Its actually installing an update on top of what I already had. I wasn't expecting anything new since I already had 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss