521/520 - - ->635 Is it worth it? Plus/Minus

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 635 is my 4 WP bought since September last year.
Very nice device for young and old (I'm old) does very well day to day in common uses.
Mapping
GPS (acquires quickly inside at home)
Browsing
Medium game play (non 3D games play well)
Music
WiFi calling
Typing notes
Screen readability
Good battery time so far (I try to stick with proven apps)
Speedy writes to good quality class SD card

Discounted features would be:
Photography in the pro sense of course, fine for the casual daylight photog.
No magnetometer, inclinometer or orientation sensors.

This phone is difficult to rate low considering the cost and availability.
I think 635 is worth it for the L520\521 user...

I'm going to try to not buy a case for this phone because I think some cases affect signal reception.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I think the 520/1 is better. You get a better screen, and even if it is slightly smaller it's still a good size for a budget phone. It's still 4g and still a little cheaper than the 4g 635.
The camera is pretty much the exact same. You get decent pictures, better than you'd expect from a 5 mp camera in a budget smartphone. Reds are a bit toxic though.
But this is the main difference: The 635 has a larger 4.5 inch screen compared to the 520's 4 inch screen, but the 635 has a lower resolution. The bigger screen is NOT a good thing in this case. Contrast is good, but the blacks have a blue hue. It's not too noticeable or detrimental, but it's there. Overall:
635 is bigger, worst screen
They have same camera, same specs, and both have expandable memory. Both are 4G.
520 is cheaper, better screen.

In no way can the 520 be described as having a better screen, this is not just an opinion but technical fact; I leave it up to the buyer to analyze the specs for himself in this matter.

The 635 has numerous advantages over the 521 including the inclusion of 4gLTE; u state that they both have 4g but only the 635 has the superfast LTE.

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
In no way can the 520 be described as having a better screen, this is not just an opinion but technical fact; I leave it up to the buyer to analyze the specs for himself in this matter.

The 635 has numerous advantages over the 521 including the inclusion of 4gLTE; u state that they both have 4g but only the 635 has the superfast LTE.

521 has 21.1 mbps HSDPA and 635 has 42.2 HSDPA mbps.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Not technically lte, but good enough.

Not technically? It's not LTE in any way.

I get LTE 4G on my carrier and I'm getting 40.38mbps down and 23.51 up this morning.

It's faster than my fibre optic WiFi. In work I get around 30mbps up and 20mbps down.

There is a huge difference.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
In the better T-Mobile HSPA+ markets, you can get ~20Mbps. Not bad.

I'm not sure if anyone else offers those kind of HSPA+ speeds, besides T-Mobile.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to change the color of my existing 521 smartphone and I was thinking of buying a T-Mobile 635 and a yellow shell from Microsoft store.

How do you like the 635 compare to the 521/520?

How much better is it comparable to the 521/520? I know the 635 is LTE so do not compare this!

Is the screen a little weaker?

How about the camera?

Thanks.

Here what I have decide to do! I purchased a Yellow back shell cover for my 521 and will replace my Nokia white back cover! Now I have a "new" WP for only $5.39.

I will decide what to do after this year where all phones will have a cooling off period so I can get the best deals!

$_12.JPG
Here is the Yellow back shell cover I purchased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs