From HTC One m8 to 930

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok after a year break from Windows Phone I'm back on it with Nokia Lumia 930 WP 8.1 update 1!

It's been fun using the HTC One M8 with android, IMHO a great handset just let down by android.

I think with 8.1 the OS has finally matured and Cortana has huge potential could be even better than Google now. For me Windows Phone is still the fastest and fluid OS of the three OS's that I have used. Granted its different, the live tiles are either you love it or hate it but that's what I like about WP it is so different from iOS or android.

Design is subjective but I actually like the Lumia 930 compared to 925 or 920 my biggest gripe is the battery life is very poor I get about 14-15 hrs usage on moderate use (9hrs heavy use) which is not acceptable now days on a flagship handset, my HTC One m8 would give me 20hrs on heavy use or 26 hrs on moderate use. I think the heavy battery drain is down to 930 using Snapdragon 800 they should have used Snapdragon 801, anyway I will live with this issue until HTC launch One m8 with WP 8.1 later on the year.

Last edited:

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a HTC One M8 too. Just had the Lumia 930 for 2 days already. The only thing that does dissapoint in comparison is the battery life but I knew this as the battery life is fantastic on the M8. WP looks so sweet on Amoled though and I would not want LCD with WP like the HTC has so I think I'll skip that WP phone when it comes.

The 930 feels more solid than the M8 though in my opinion when it comes to build quality and that surprised me a little.

stogdan

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok after a year break from Windows Phone I'm back on it with Nokia Lumia 930 WP 8.1 update 1!

It's been fun using the HTC One M8 with android, IMHO a great handset just let down by android.

I think with 8.1 the OS has finally matured and Cortana has huge potential could be even better than Google now. For me Windows Phone is still the fastest and fluid OS of the three OS's that I have used. Granted its different, the live tiles are either you love it or hate it but that's what I like about WP it is so different from iOS or android.

Design is subjective but I actually like the Lumina 930 compared to 925 or 920 my biggest gripe is the battery life is very poor I get about 14-15 hrs usage on moderate use (9hrs heavy use) which is not acceptable now days on a flagship handset, my HTC One m8 would give me 20hrs on heavy use or 26 hrs on moderate use. I think the heavy battery drain is down to 930 using Snapdragon 800 they should have used Snapdragon 801, anyway I will live with this issue until HTC launch One m8 with WP 8.1 later on the year.

Welcome back to the community. I have used most platforms myself recent years: iOS, Android, Windows Phone and even Symbian (good old N8 still rocking..). My most frequent device for the past 2 years have been the Lumia 920, a trust worthy companion that always got the job done. Most of my annoyances with the phone has been software and has since been resolved for the most part with WP 8.1. And the first party app support for the past 12 months has really taken a big jump in the right direction as well.

I have many times considered to jump ship. Especially at times when MS did not seem as dedicated as they should have been. My lumia 920 unfortunately fell down a staircase and the screen broke. It was more almost as expensive to fix it than to replace it so I went with the latter and decided to renew my faith in WP and get a 930.

I've had it for 3 weeks straight now and no issues so far. It can some times get hot, but I've had iPhones that got quite hot as well so I wont blame the phone entirely. I am quite happy with it and I am really looking forward to 8.1 update 1 on my 930 as well. Since its a brand new phone I am not risking a warranty void to enable developer preview as I did not the 920..

:)

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from a HTC One M8 too. Just had the Lumia 930 for 2 days already. The only thing that does dissapoint in comparison is the battery life but I knew this as the battery life is fantastic on the M8. WP looks so sweet on Amoled though and I would not want LCD with WP like the HTC has so I think I'll skip that WP phone when it comes.

The 930 feels more solid than the M8 though in my opinion when it comes to build quality and that surprised me a little.

I agree with AMOLED screen WP really looks the best and also in some ways the 930 is better handling then the One m8 but for me the battery life is a killer so for that reason alone I will go back to One m8 when it launches with WP 8.1 and can live with LCD screen and a lesser quality camera.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Design is subjective but I actually like the Lumia 930 compared to 925 or 920 my biggest gripe is the battery life is very poor I get about 14-15 hrs usage on moderate use (9hrs heavy use) which is not acceptable now days on a flagship handset, my HTC One m8 would give me 20hrs on heavy use or 26 hrs on moderate use. I think the heavy battery drain is down to 930 using Snapdragon 800 they should have used Snapdragon 801, anyway I will live with this issue until HTC launch One m8 with WP 8.1 later on the year.
I honestly like the design of the Lumia 930 a lot as well, more than the 920 and 925.

I also admit that despite Nokia using older Snapdragon 800 processors for their newest Windows Phones the Windows Phone OS handles performance very well.

With that said I do disagree quite a bit for example why do you think HTC One is let down by Android? According to me the unique HTC Sense UI coupled with the amazing apps that HTC bundles is only possible on Android.

Though I do like Windows Phone being unique some criticism from Huawei said that Windows Phone is quite closed and leaves barely any room for OEM improvement/design.

Plus Windows Phone has this one massive multitasking issue where users will often be promoted with a "resuming" dialogue, does this occur on Lumia 930?

Despite me disagreeing with you a little bit, I must also point out that Lumia 930 is indeed a stellar future-proof device that sports a killer 20 MP camera, enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Plus Windows Phone has this one massive multitasking issue where users will often be promoted with a "resuming" dialogue, does this occur on Lumia 930?

Yes it happens on the Lumia 930 too. I have not had an instance so far where it's taken a lot of time though so it bothers me but it happens occasionaly.

And I agree with Android on the M8. I think of Sense as the best 3'rd party skin both in looks and smoothness. I really like Sense. Followed by Sony UI. The rest is meh (I don't count in Vanilla here, it's awesome too).

After having used Android on the M8, I'm having a hard time imagining WP on it. Doesn't seem built for it in a way. Can't answer why though more than that it feels like an afterthought to me.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes it happens on the Lumia 930 too. I have not had an instance so far where it's taken a lot of time though so it bothers me but it happens occasionaly.

And I agree with Android on the M8. I think of Sense as the best 3'rd party skin both in looks and smoothness. I really like Sense. Followed by Sony UI. The rest is meh (I don't count in Vanilla here, it's awesome too).

After having used Android on the M8, I'm having a hard time imagining WP on it. Doesn't seem built for it in a way. Can't answer why though more than that it feels like an afterthought to me.
HTC Sense manages to achieve this crazy level of smoothness with nary a slow down or stutter and I never understood how.

One of my cousin's had an HTC One and moved onto a Note 3 while the M8 had a Snapdragon 600 and the Note 3 has a Snapdragon 800, the Note 3 starts to lag considerably especially in scrolling in a lot of apps.

I myself own a Nexus 5 running Stock and I must admit multitasking is amazing on Android now. But there are a few scrolling issues still there in a few apps on Android but there is a simple fix for it. :)

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
HTC Sense manages to achieve this crazy level of smoothness with nary a slow down or stutter and I never understood how.

One of my cousin's had an HTC One and moved onto a Note 3 while the M8 had a Snapdragon 600 and the Note 3 has a Snapdragon 800, the Note 3 starts to lag considerably especially in scrolling in a lot of apps.

I myself own a Nexus 5 running Stock and I must admit multitasking is amazing on Android now. But there are a few scrolling issues still there in a few apps on Android but there is a simple fix for it. :)

Samsung has Touchwiz. That's the problem. Their software is so full of unecessary features and also unoptimized so it's not fun to use. Stutters a lot. It looks like total crap too. I strongly dislike Samsung phones.

I had a Nexus 5 before my M8. Multitasking on Nexus is quick as hell. Specially with ART runtime enabled it makes the phone fly and is noticably faster and also even smoother in some apps. Looking forward to Android L once it gets released. Quite the facelift.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has Touchwiz. That's the problem. Their software is so full of unecessary features and also unoptimized so it's not fun to use. Stutters a lot. It looks like total crap too. I strongly dislike Samsung phones.

I had a Nexus 5 before my M8. Multitasking on Nexus is quick as hell. Specially with ART runtime enabled it makes the phone fly and is noticably faster and also even smoother in some apps. Looking forward to Android L once it gets released. Quite the facelift.
The ART runtime is exactly the fix I am talking about it resolved any small performance issues I had with my Nexus 5.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about both Android and Windows Phone and I appreciate that. 😀

I've always wanted a Lumia Icon for that killer camera but I've found that the Nexus 5 is a pretty good snapper on it's own. ☺

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The ART runtime is exactly the fix I am talking about it resolved any small performance issues I had with my Nexus 5.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about both Android and Windows Phone and I appreciate that. 

I've always wanted a Lumia Icon for that killer camera but I've found that the Nexus 5 is a pretty good snapper on it's own. ☺

I guess you could say that I'm an advanced Android user. I even decompile apps and recompile them from time to time if there's anyting small I want to change such as some graphics or anything. The freedom on Android is great but it's also my worst enemy as I tend to spend time with stuff that doesn't really have much to do with my usage of the phone as a phone if you get what I mean. That's why I like systems like WP too. Looks great and doesn't allow me to spend too much time with modding and that is refreshing. Just using it as a phone being happy with it from the go.

The Nexus 5 camera takes good pictures. It's just that the Google camera app is boring and lacks features. The Lumia 930 camera is a total joy to use and I love it already. Full manual controls and an awesome interface makes up for a fun experience. The M8 camera software is great to on Android and similar but I have to give the edge to the 930 except missing HDR functionality.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I guess you could say that I'm an advanced Android user. I even decompile apps and recompile them from time to time if there's anyting small I want to change such as some graphics or anything. The freedom on Android is great but it's also my worst enemy as I tend to spend time with stuff that doesn't really have much to do with my usage of the phone as a phone if you get what I mean. That's why I like systems like WP too. Looks great and doesn't allow me to spend too much time with modding and that is refreshing. Just using it as a phone being happy with it from the go.

The Nexus 5 camera takes good pictures. It's just that the Google camera app is boring and lacks features. The Lumia 930 camera is a total joy to use and I love it already. Full manual controls and an awesome interface makes up for a fun experience. The M8 camera software is great to on Android and similar but I have to give the edge to the 930 except missing HDR functionality.
Having used Windows Phone foe quite some time I've realized that I really miss the Nokia Camera and I wish that with the huge amount of services that Microsoft ports to Android I hope Nokia Camera is something that comes soon.

With that said it's a shame that Nokia or Microsoft camera did not have HDR because HDR has massive improvements in the quality of shots in both daytime and night if you have steady hands.

Google Camera does need work but the software is pretty good I must admit and I like the new UI, it's simplistic and offers good control.

However Google needs to work more on improving the Nexus 5's camera in general the Android 4.4.1 updates did improve it quite a bit but Google itself said that it had to do more to improve and so far after 4.4.1 there are no Nexus 5 specific camera improvements.

And I know there is room for improvement because I used Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 5 for a little while and it had crazy fast shutter speed compared to Stock and others have been able to successfully improve audio quality and bitrate.

Android L is the last mainstream update for Nexus 5, probably. Sure it will get future updates but they won't improve on the hardware and Google will focus more on the next Nexus device.

Anyways I'm sure I'm boring you with this stuff, when you use the 20 MP camera of the 930 do message me some shots and I'll exchange some of mine. :)

Byron Hinson

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Came from an M8 too as I had a nexus 5 and prefer vanilla android. Like the Lumia 930. Much better camera than the HTC although the screen isn't as good.

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I honestly like the design of the Lumia 930 a lot as well, more than the 920 and 925.

I also admit that despite Nokia using older Snapdragon 800 processors for their newest Windows Phones the Windows Phone OS handles performance very well.

With that said I do disagree quite a bit for example why do you think HTC One is let down by Android? According to me the unique HTC Sense UI coupled with the amazing apps that HTC bundles is only possible on Android.

Though I do like Windows Phone being unique some criticism from Huawei said that Windows Phone is quite closed and leaves barely any room for OEM improvement/design.

Despite me disagreeing with you a little bit, I must also point out that Lumia 930 is indeed a stellar future-proof device that sports a killer 20 MP camera, enjoy it!

I'm not a novice user of android I had my One m8 rooted and flashed custom ROM's but always reverted to stock because of stability and besides when you use exposed module then the need to flash ROM is not needed.

I even had my One m8 set up with the ability to switch on the fly between Google Play Edition ROM and Stock Sense but I always ended up using Google Play Edition only because I preferred it over Sense. I was never big fan of Sense but I will say Sense on One m8 is the best yet very clean and fluid.

The reason I say One m8 is let down by android is because every now and then it will lag, freeze to the point I will need to reboot even though I have no background apps and this is not because I had a dud One m8 I had mine replaced same issue I even had it just as it is without any modification i.e no root no custom ROM etc... and I will still have intermittent lag or freeze. I had the same issue when I had the nexus 5 therefore in my opinion android is flawed OS it has way too many variables yes it is great to have extensive customisation and flexibility but at the cost of stability??

That's why I think Windows Phone has a good balance! Of course you are free to disagree I'm just saying this from my own personal experience with android. At the end of the day it's all down to one's personal needs and expectation of the OS be it iOS, android or Windows Phone.

As for the multitasking issue on 930 where users will often be promoted with a "resuming" dialogue I don't have that but can get this issue if I have an app set to OFF under "Allow app to run in the background" in Battery Saver Usage settings.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well that's kind of true the freedom that comes with Android can make it unstable at times. Vanilla in its purest form should be stable for the most part unless you play with it too much. Adding Xposed modules and such can slow the phone down in certain circumstances and make it unstable or get force closes etc. Windows Phone feels much more stable and reliable in that sense however I have never had any bigger problems with Android. But of course I have gotten random reboots and the lots because after all I always mod heavily and it comes with its price sometimes.

Though I saw a person on a Swedish forum yesterday that has a Nexus 5 whom had a uptime of 1000 hours. So Android can be stable and reliable too. It all depends. You can get issues on every system. But as much that can go on in the background on Android the risk is bigger something messes up at times. But many of Androids problems have been fixed lately. It's now very smooth and stable at least as long as you stay Vanilla.

In the end it's pretty dumb to compare Windows Phone, Android, iOS etc with each other because they are all very different beasts with their own weaknesses and strenghts.

After having used Android, iOS, Windows Phone, MeeGo and BlackBerry the last two years my obvious favorites are in the end Android and Windows Phone. For different reasons. As I said earlier I use my Windows Phone phone less because of the lack of freedom. Now that's a good thing if you ask me. As my Android usage can stray away into unknown territories and sometimes I have to pay the price. And I fiddle with the phone for hours each day sometimes. With Windows Phone I'm just happy and use it as a phone mainly. And hence the difference in battery life kind of evens out in a sense.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Though I saw a person on a Swedish forum yesterday that has a Nexus 5 whom had a uptime of 1000 hours.

It's interesting you mention that. I just checked the uptime on my Nexus 5 and it's currently at 868 hours. That means it was last rebooted on July 1. It's still very quick and smooth. It's completely stock except it's rooted. I guess that's why I shake my head when I read here about all the bad experiences on Android.

You are absolutely correct that each OS has its own strengths & weaknesses. I actually believe a lot of the issues come with our attitude. If you hate Android, you will find lots of problems with it. The same with WP, iPhone, or any other device.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Did m8 support ART? as I understood, without it the device was doomed to lag n crash sooner or later..
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Velikib

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I am using a HTC One M8 and the Nokia Lumia 1520. I must say that the M8 with Android and Nova Prime is much better device. Better camera on Lumia isn't worth the step on WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am using a HTC One M8 and the Nokia Lumia 1520. I must say that the M8 with Android and Nova Prime is much better device. Better camera on Lumia isn't worth the step on WP.
There are a lot of reasons to use the 1520 over the HTC One, besides the camera. If you don't really care about losing a little bit of functionality in apps here and there the 1520 is pretty good.

And why switch to Nova Launcher? HTC Sense is very fast on it's own, even on the original HTC One I couldn't see any lags or stutters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99