WP 8.1 Cyan Update (AT&T) Mostly Fail

TheBigOkie

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I took the update on the first day it was available to general users in the US. Some of the features are great conceptually. Overall, though, I'm left pretty frustrated.

First, battery life is much reduced. It is hard for me to tell exactly what is using all of the power, but at this point I am guessing that the WiFi and Cellular radios' constant checking for signals and trying to decide which one is going to control the current activity. I also use ActiveSync for a corporate Outlook account and I have seen it swallow a lot of electrons trying to sync continuously even when the connection is unavailable.

I have also uninstalled the Facebook application as I'm not 100% sure it is not continuous sucking power to fuel its never ending quest for all that is mundane and stupid. We'll see if that helps.

Location services seems to be used far more than in 8.0 as well.

The biggest problem is the almost 100% occurrence of delays and even lockups when resuming from lock screen. Power up, lift the screen, and wait while "Resuming" or, occasionally "loading" stares back at you. I switched to the Bing screen as others have suggested with discernable effect.

Cortana works, mostly, and has some nice features. I think it is long on promise and not as fulfilling as the hype suggests. It is also my opinion that [she] talks too much. Fewer words please. Get to the point. You're a machine.

I also think the autocorrect function is not as useful as it used to be. It used to be >/= 90% at recognizing contractions. It might be 50% now. And it has gotten less aggressive with replacing typos with best guesses at the cost of being less useful, in my opinion.

If anyone has suggestions for the power consumption problems or hang-ups on resuming please post. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

DerrickG72

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I did the update as soon as I could and I haven't had any of the power issues you mentioned. I am also on ATT. The slow wake up / resuming could be your startup screen settings... I had that issue when i installed Live Lock Screen Beta. So I uninstalled it, rebooted my phone and then installed it again and it went away.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1520 on AT&T and I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your phone. It seems to be going very well on mine. (Except for the scrolling bug, yuck).

Location is used a lot more because Cortana is keeping track of you. If you don't like it disable it.

You seem to not like Cortana as much and that is certainly valid. On the other hand there are plenty of us that like her and don't want her to talk any less... Probably more. :D

No suggestions for auto correct since I actually have it turned off because I type in several languages.

High battery consumption after the upgrade is expected while the phone 'settles' taking care of updating/indexing/backing up and taking care of all the new stuff that the OS does. I would keep Facebook and see if it normalizes.

I have no 'resuming' issue but I know some others have mentioned. With this and your other issues maybe you would benefit from a hard reset.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I took the update on the first day it was available to general users in the US. Some of the features are great conceptually. Overall, though, I'm left pretty frustrated.

First, battery life is much reduced. It is hard for me to tell exactly what is using all of the power, but at this point I am guessing that the WiFi and Cellular radios' constant checking for signals and trying to decide which one is going to control the current activity. I also use ActiveSync for a corporate Outlook account and I have seen it swallow a lot of electrons trying to sync continuously even when the connection is unavailable.

I have also uninstalled the Facebook application as I'm not 100% sure it is not continuous sucking power to fuel its never ending quest for all that is mundane and stupid. We'll see if that helps.

Location services seems to be used far more than in 8.0 as well.

The biggest problem is the almost 100% occurrence of delays and even lockups when resuming from lock screen. Power up, lift the screen, and wait while "Resuming" or, occasionally "loading" stares back at you. I switched to the Bing screen as others have suggested with discernable effect.

Cortana works, mostly, and has some nice features. I think it is long on promise and not as fulfilling as the hype suggests. It is also my opinion that [she] talks too much. Fewer words please. Get to the point. You're a machine.

I also think the autocorrect function is not as useful as it used to be. It used to be >/= 90% at recognizing contractions. It might be 50% now. And it has gotten less aggressive with replacing typos with best guesses at the cost of being less useful, in my opinion.

If anyone has suggestions for the power consumption problems or hang-ups on resuming please post. Thanks for reading.

Regards,
unpin Cortana from start screen if you have her on there . That caused my screen reload issue!

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Which one is better? Cyan update or the 8.1 update 1?

Cyan is firmware... 8.1 Update 1 is OS. So can't be compared.

If you are asking which is better 8.1 or 8.1 Update 1 then I would go with Update 1 without any hesitation. It adds some pretty cool things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss