Questions about the 930 in Canada

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello people!

Short story... I bought the Lumia 635 (First WP, really like the OS, really!!! (coming from Android)) but sadly, even if I knew it's a "budget phone", the screen is really not sharp at all... I can see some pixels and the colors are not bright at all. I don't blame Nokia, nor Rogers where I bought it. I blame myself because I knew it was a low-end device. I am with Telus in Montreal (Quebec) so I had to buy the Unlocked option from Rogers for 50$ and finally, the guy at the boutique says it does not have the code yet for the 635 and that he will reimburse me the 50$ ... I bought it Monday so I will ask for a full refund...

That being said, I think I got a crush on WP.. I started looking at other available models but it seems that only the 1020 is available in Canada, and it's almost 1 year old and seems to be almost the same hardware as the 920 (except the camera of course), which is, I think, almost 2 years old.

I was looking for a 5" inch with a good resolution, recent hardware, and a decent camera (Not a big photos fan, but here and there, it's handy) and I found the 930 ! Exactly what I was looking for.. recent hardware, MORE than decent camera, a good screen, and of course, WP 8.1..

So now the questions:
- Where should I buy it? So far, I only found omegacell at 675$ (oucch but to be expected I believe)
- Also, I understand that I would only get 3G with Telus in Montreal. What if I switch to Rogers? (I pay the leftover of my S3 yesterday so I am contract free).. I don't use data very much... so I personally don't care, but if I want to resell the phone, it's won't be a very good selling point (sorry buddy, no LTE...)
- Is that true (or rumored) that the 930 **might** be coming to Canada with all the good band for LTE? I did ask Nokia Canada 5 times via twitter but no answers...
- If I buy this device, does I simply have to put my Telus sim card in it and bingo?!
- Last one: Who pushes the WP update? Microsoft? The carrier? And what if no carrier support that device?!

Thanks guy... I don't shop cell phone very often and I'm not very savvy with the band and compatibly and such...

Salutations!

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Omegacell has good service and price, got mine there as well. Can't go wrong with them.

Rogers supports 2600 MHz band 7 for LTE, which the 930 uses. So you should get LTE if band 7 coverage is good where you are. Supposedly Bell has band 7 too but I hear their coverage is not as good.

As for whether a North American 930 will come our way, who knows. But I kind of doubt it seeing how Microsoft/Nokia don't seem to care about the high-end Canadian market. I'm sure something will *eventually* come to replace the aging 1020 but it may be a long wait, which is why I pulled the trigger on the 930.

The device from Omegacell is unlocked and I put my Rogers sim in it and bingo! And I think updates for unlocked devices will be pushed directly by Microsoft/Nokia.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!

So since I'm on a prepaid for now with Telus, I could either live with the 3G or port my number to Rogers if I want LTE badly...it would not cost me a bunch.. I already did the hardest ($$$) move to break my contract and stop paying that stupid high fees monthly plan...

Anyone else using the Nokia 930 in the Montreal area?

Edit: Ho.. and I forgot to ask...I currently have a Galaxy S3 which is MicroSIM.. I think it's the same for the 930?!

Salutations!

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought my 930 from Omega Cell, great service! Using it in Vancouver. While I was hoping for a 700 band version for use on Rogers, I couldn't wait anymore to upgrade from my 920. Nothing wrong with the 920, I just usually upgrade my phone every year and it was coming up on 2 years with my 920! haha.

I do expect the phone will be fine in Montreal as I travel there relatively often.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 930 from Omega Cell, great service! Using it in Vancouver. While I was hoping for a 700 band version for use on Rogers, I couldn't wait anymore to upgrade from my 920. Nothing wrong with the 920, I just usually upgrade my phone every year and it was coming up on 2 years with my 920! haha.

I do expect the phone will be fine in Montreal as I travel there relatively often.

Thanks! Well.. I am in the same situation .. I work hard as hell for my pennies so it's time to pay myself a little gift! So I think I will order the 930 today from OmegaCell as well... Seems to be the recommended path to go.

Thanks to skinnypig (love that name!) as well for pointing out the NanoSim thing .. I did not spot it when I read the specs.. I'm lunatic something and misses some key points!!!

Ho well... I guess I am sold.. Except for the overheating issue... Knock on woods.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ho well... I guess I am sold.. Except for the overheating issue... Knock on woods.

Phone can get warm with certain activities (LTE data usage, some games) but I haven't found it to be overheating. My 920 definitely got hot to the point of worry for me but keeps on ticking. It's currently getting a vacation, I'll probably loan it to a buddy who needs some down time to fix his broken screen (also a 920)

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Phone can get warm with certain activities (LTE data usage, some games) but I haven't found it to be overheating. My 920 definitely got hot to the point of worry for me but keeps on ticking. It's currently getting a vacation, I'll probably loan it to a buddy who needs some down time to fix his broken screen (also a 920)

cool.. Anyhow.. Too late ... 930 Orange with express shipping from OmegaCell. Should get it tomorrow. :) :) :)

I also took the 1 year warranty as a security padding.

If anyone from OmegaCell reading here: Thanks so much! Really great services!

Salutations!

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
haha! I got bored of the white and black phone ... I wanted something different... I guess I will be served!

On a side note: I'm following NokiaCanada on twitter. They offer a chance to win a 1520 and some lady was the lucky one. I ask them How they could give away phone that are not available for us in Canada... Weird marketing.

Last edited:

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I love my 930.

I picked up the orange 930 from Omegacell and ended up porting my service to Rogers for LTE. It was very easy and quick.

If you do it, just make sure you have a) your current mobile account number and b) that your current account is under your name directly.
The plans you get for Rogers are 10$ cheaper for a bring your own device. I got unlimited min/text/mms w/vm & calldisplay and 2gb of data for 80$ a month. Still not terribly cheap but easy to setup.

I will confirm, the orange is crazy bright and that the phone only gets hot under heavy use (games etc) No screen issues at all for me.

I expect you'll love it.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
This is what I was paying with Telus for roughly the same before I pay the balance of my contract and go pre-paid. The thing is that I work from home now, so I don't use my cell like I used to. Always on Wi-Fi and pickup an IP Phone for work call. So I don't use much call minute and data.

I pick a plan at 20$ (no contract, Telus) and I got 100mb data (just enough to update the hockey score and get the weather!) + unlimited sms/mms with voicemail / call waiting / conferance) and the minutes costs .015$. That suffice for now.. at least I am free.

We'll see what the future brings on and if I need to pick up a plan, I'll check Rogers for sure.

ziplocks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm worried about the warranty when you buy those unlocked imported phones. Has anyone had experience after the reseller warranty?
I read that most don't provide warranty if sold in another country from the intended original one.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm worried about the warranty when you buy those unlocked imported phones. Has anyone had experience after the reseller warranty?
I read that most don't provide warranty if sold in another country from the intended original one.

Yeah... But people here had good result with OmegaCell. They provide a 30 days warranty and if you want, you can buy a 1 year warranty (which I did) for 75$. Knock on wood.. there's a price to pay to be free and go a little bit "off-road" I guess ;)

Cheers.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Woke up this morning.. took a coffee or two... Start to work... need to pay the bills, they says...

Something was wrong, like if I expected something to happen... like.... DRRRRINNNNGG (Door Bell!)

I walk (err run, almost...) to the door and cheer at the venue of the Men In Brown!

Well, you guessed it. My Lumia 930 arrived! (Another thanks goes here to OmegaCell for incredible fast shipping). Went to a Telus boutique, grab a NanoSim card and went back home. I simply use Telus website to change my phone and I enter the new SIM PIN # and Bingo! My Lumia 930 is working. Although I do only have 3G, it's all good for me! I'm able to receive call... For far, everything seems to work perfectly.

Needless to say, the screen is brilliant! The phone itself is pretty nice, and the orange is very cool as well. adds a touch of personalty to it.

So now it's time to customize the beast.. And I'm pretty sure I could used some of your help here ... I'm looking to get some goods apps and I would prefer not to install / remove a bunch of them trying to find the best.. So I'm looking for greats apps like:
- Personalize: Transparent Tile (I saw the name, but can't remember the exact app name) and any other cool apps to make it my own
- News: A news apps that will fetch various site go get the daily news, including my local area (Montreal)
- Sports: Anything better than Bing Sports? It looks ok so far.. but just asking
- Games: Not a big gamer, but at least, I would like to test how nice graphics can be on it
- Any other fields of interest, any other apps you like, please share ;)

And last Q: Do upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 worth it? Would you do it? Or you probably already did?

Thanks guys for your valuable input thru the whole process. It's been painless so far and I really appreciated the help!

Salutations!!

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! Welcome to the club :)

I'd give Nokia Beamer & photo beamer apps a try, they're always fun for sharing/showing off your screen to friends.
For games, try Asphalt 8 and Hungry Shark Evolution, both free.
myAppFree is good, you can get an app for free daily.
MixRadio is good for music.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the glowing neon orange club! I still can't get over how bright it is, anything it gets nears glows orange too!

jkamoh

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Also on Telus and considering getting 930. LTE not being present is not a big miss. I've used my iPhone 5S with LTE off and running on 3G or WiFi at work/home, I don't see a that big of a difference in data speed. Overall, how has your experience with the 930 been so far?

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

So far so good! Like I mention, I don't use the phone calls "feature" so much, it's mostly en emergency device. But the few call I did / received where all good, loud and clear. Seems a bit clearer than on S3, not sure if it's clearer or just my imagination. Also, I do use SMS/MMS and it is working fine, no issue attaching picture to it.

As for data goes, works good as well, as long as you don't need LTE. I'm mostly over WiFi 90% of the time, so for me, it's not a big issue.

I had hell of a week so I did had much time to play with it very much, I barely customize it yet, installed very few applications. I plan on getting my hands dirty over the week-end. But the phone is great, the screen is brilliant! Some might find the phone a bit thick / heavy, but for me, no big deal, probably a matter of personal choice.

If you want, I can keep you post with my discovery over the week-end, but so far, I don't see any issue using this phone on the Telus network. Keep in mind that I am in Montreal (about 20 mins (car ride) from downtown. Your millage may vary if you are, let's say, au Lac St-Jean ;)

Salutations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs