I just purchased an unlocked 1020 and cannot update to 8.1

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased from my local MIcrosoft Store an unlocked Lumia 1020. I'm using it on T-Mobile's network and when I check for updates the phone tells me that there are no new updates. Is there a way to force updates for the phone?

TurtleSpeedX

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Where are you from? Some people are already reporting that they are downloading/installing 8.1.

Im from germany and i'm currently installing 8.1. Other reports, from finland and Uk also got the update 8.1.

EDIT: i'm also using an unlocked 1020.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm from the USA. I tried a Lumia 1520 and was able to update right away. I thought the unlocked phones would update because they are advertised as Windows 8.1 ready.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked doesn't mean you get updates from Nokia. That's unbranded. Unlocked simply means you can move from carrier to carrier. Nothing with updates.

If Cyan firmware is important, I'd wait until T-Mobile pushes the update. If you just want 8.1 OS, you can use the Developers Preview. The issue is, you cannot go from Dev Preview to Official Cyan + 8.1 yet, until Microsoft fixes the bug. You can downgrade and then get Cyan, but not everyone wants to deal with that.

Honestly, since you have a 1020, id wait for Cyan cause the camera improvements.

TurtleSpeedX

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked the 8.1 forums? The "Cyan Roll-Out" thread? Many people are reporting that Cyan is available for their phone. I'm not sure if i read about someone living in the US.
I went to "check for updates" because i was bored, first i had to install a pre update to make my phone ready for 8.1. After that, my phone automatically notified me about a new update (8.1).

Just start checking the update section in your settings every few hours, it should be there soon, since Cyan is rolling out everywhere as we are talking.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked doesn't mean you get updates from Nokia. That's unbranded. Unlocked simply means you can move from carrier to carrier. Nothing with updates.

If Cyan firmware is important, I'd wait until T-Mobile pushes the update. If you just want 8.1 OS, you can use the Developers Preview. The issue is, you cannot go from Dev Preview to Official Cyan + 8.1 yet, until Microsoft fixes the bug. You can downgrade and then get Cyan, but not everyone wants to deal with that.

Honestly, since you have a 1020, id wait for Cyan cause the camera improvements.

I'm used to Android with the Nexus phones that had updates pretty quick. I didn't know that T-Mobile still pushes out the updates. Kind of sucks that it could be a wait.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What carrier was it made for? If T-Mobile doesn't carry the 1020, that could be interesting. It could still have the update pushed from its original carrier. I really don't know.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
What carrier was it made for? If T-Mobile doesn't carry the 1020, that could be interesting. It could still have the update pushed from its original carrier. I really don't know.

It's not carrier branded. The 1020 in the USA is made for At&t. However, T-Mobile doesn't carry the phone and I just found out via MS support that I won't get 8.1. Which really sucks. I guess Windows Phone isn't for me.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, was afraid of that. You can still get the newest OS updates via the Developer Preview program, including 8.1 Update 1.

If it shows ATT logo on boot up, its still branded. Branding and unlocking are different things

If you know someone with an ATT account, you could pop in their SIM and get the official update, once ATT releases it. They haven't released it yet. The only difference from an official update and Developer Preview is official gets newer firmware (Cyan).

You might even be able to remove your TMobile SIM and update via Wifi. I've updated my ATT phone without even putting a SIM in it before.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, was afraid of that. You can still get the newest OS updates via the Developer Preview program, including 8.1 Update 1.

If it shows ATT logo on boot up, its still branded. Branding and unlocking are different things

If you know someone with an ATT account, you could pop in their SIM and get the official update, once ATT releases it. They haven't released it yet. The only difference from an official update and Developer Preview is official gets newer firmware (Cyan).

It has no branding when I boot up. I bought this directly at the Microsoft Store and it is now unlocked. Even the box doesn't have At&t branding.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased from my local MIcrosoft Store an unlocked Lumia 1020. I'm using it on T-Mobile's network and when I check for updates the phone tells me that there are no new updates. Is there a way to force updates for the phone?
Cyan for this is not released yet(at least no news about US 1020) and WP 8.1 Update 1 is through Dev Preview program. so you can install update 1 if you go through DP route. I see that working with my friends' 1020 unlocked bought 2 weeks back and there are absolutely no issues in this install so far.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Look in settings>extras+info>more info>manufacturers name.
The only 1020 in the US is AT&T branded, there are no country variants. When the update is released for the Lumia 1020 from AT&T you can get the update. They have released the update for the 1520, 925 and 520 so far.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It has no branding when I boot up. I bought this directly at the Microsoft Store and it is now unlocked. Even the box doesn't have At&t branding.

Ok, I see. Well, being unbranded the update should push once Microsoft pushes it for all unbranded 1020, which I don't think has happened.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
manufacturers name: RM-877_nam_usa_957. It isn't At&t

I just checked out more online and this ins't the At&t model. I called Microsoft support and they said T-Mobile would update it. But, T-Mobile doesn't carry the phone. I don't know if I got bad support or if I'm screwed.

Last edited:

WPGeek

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The following link directly from microsoft explains how the updates happen for "region variants" as compared to "country variants" . check under extras+info for mobile operator, it is probably 000-11, meaning a north american region variant.

dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Customization/Registry_values_for_carrier-unlocked_phones

i think there may be some confusion because microsoft stores don't exist outside on canada and the U.S., for those outside of north america these stores are owned by microsoft, and staffed by microsoft employees. What KennyJohnson has done is buy a unbranded and unlocked 1020 directly from its manufacturer.

any chance KennyJohnson could reply with the product code from the sim drawer so others could download the firmware and unbrand their own phones...

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The following link directly from microsoft explains how the updates happen for "region variants" as compared to "country variants" . check under extras+info for mobile operator, it is probably 000-11, meaning a north american region variant.

dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Customization/Registry_values_for_carrier-unlocked_phones

i think there may be some confusion because microsoft stores don't exist outside on canada and the U.S., for those outside of north america these stores are owned by microsoft, and staffed by microsoft employees. What KennyJohnson has done is buy a unbranded and unlocked 1020 directly from its manufacturer.

any chance KennyJohnson could reply with the product code from the sim drawer so others could download the firmware and unbrand their own phones...

Mine is 000-US. Where do I find that code in the sim drawer?

WPGeek

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
there is a hidden flag that pulls out, hard to describe. can tell you it starts with 059. the following link explains.
nokia.com/ca-en/support/product/lumia1020/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=GUID-3A86B6F2-BF44-468A-8C34-D0102252E359

000-US means unbranded united states country variant, so probably same time as AT&T.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat.
I purchased an unbranded and unlocked version of the 1020 at a Microsoft store.
Is not ATT labeled, there is no reference of carrier in the box, during boot up, or anywhere else.
I called Nokia and was told the update is managed by Microsoft directly, I'm not sure if this is true or just misinformed.
The people at the Microsoft store had no idea how it works, and I didn't get a straight answer form Microsoft support.

I'm also wondering how is this going to work for us...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon