Just a heads up: Unlocked Lumia 1020 Phones in US may not be updated to 8.1

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have just finished talking to Nokia support. Microsoft doesn't (currently) plan on updating the Lumia 1020 (RM-877_nam_usa_957) to 8.1. The best I can get is the Developers Preview. Which means no Cyan firmware update. I just want to make sure people are aware. I'll be returning my phone tomorrow. Really disappointed.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I have just finished talking to Nokia support. Microsoft doesn't (currently) plan on updating the Lumia 1020 (RM-877_nam_usa_957) to 8.1. The best I can get is the Developers Preview. Which means no Cyan firmware update. I just want to make sure people are aware. I'll be returning my phone tomorrow. Really disappointed.

A bit of a Misleading thread title You mean "US 877 1020 not getting Cyan".. You should change it. Im in UK 1020 (RM-875 CV GB) and i got Cyan today. I would also confirm this again.. every other 1020 across the world is now getting Cyan.. So Ide take that with a pich o salt.

Most people in Tech Support are idiots.. When I had a GS5, it had a rattle in the camera.. I rang Sammy tech support.. the guy said "Oh No no, that shouldnt be there .. its a fault.. return it... On further checking.. it turns out its the auto-focus inside the ICOCELL camera, because when you boot into camera/... it stops"

So check stuff out first because if it turns out to be wrong, you might fnd yourself under fire

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is NOT, I repeat NOT not going to update an unlocked phone. Jesus you guys..... ALL windows 8 phones will eventually get the update. Unlocked may be last at this point since it seems to be geared toward carriers first. Unlocked has no defined carrier.

WPGeek

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
if you go to the nokia update status page the US country variant is not listed at all, probably the cause of the confusion at nokia tech support. they also show the canadian variants as "under testing" despite the updates being rolled out as we speak. follow the link below for the page i'm talking about.

nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

considering that they have gone to the effort to create a new variant, and that microsoft is selling it directly themselves, it's hard to imagine that it wont receive the cyan update.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Edit: That link shows US 1020 is under testing.

To your 2nd part, what do you mean its a unique variant? RM-877 is same as ATT and I think Canada?

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Edit: That link shows US 1020 is under testing.

To your 2nd part, what do you mean its a unique variant? RM-877 is same as ATT and I think Canada?

The nam_usa_957 from what I can tell is not the same as the At&t. The link shows it is under testing for At&t. This phone has nothing to do with At&t. It was purchased directly from Microsoft, unlocked, and unbranded. For all intents and purposes think of it as buying a Nexus from the Google play store. The only difference is that Microsoft doesn't seem to release updates directly to their unlocked phones (is this their first one?).

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
if you go to the nokia update status page the US country variant is not listed at all, probably the cause of the confusion at nokia tech support. they also show the canadian variants as "under testing" despite the updates being rolled out as we speak. follow the link below for the page i'm talking about.

nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

considering that they have gone to the effort to create a new variant, and that microsoft is selling it directly themselves, it's hard to imagine that it wont receive the cyan update.

I'm hoping you're right. The only problem is that do I sit on a phone and hope that it gets an update or do I go on the information I received? I only have a limited time until I can return the phone. I'm thinking I might return it and rebuy if they get the update out for it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The nam_usa_957 from what I can tell is not the same as the At&t. The link shows it is under testing for At&t. This phone has nothing to do with At&t. It was purchased directly from Microsoft, unlocked, and unbranded. For all intents and purposes think of it as buying a Nexus from the Google play store. The only difference is that Microsoft doesn't seem to release updates directly to their unlocked phones (is this their first one?).

957 is just the ROM.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
957 is just the ROM.

Here's the thing. I'm not on At&t. I'm on T-Mobile. T-Mobile support is useless because they don't sell the phone so they don't support it. The problem is Microsoft/Nokia have screwed up selling their own unlocked device. They control the update path and nobody else. They just don't know at the bottom what is going on. I'm going to have to return the phone until the update is out. It really sucks.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. If the update is that important, id return it and wait too. I was reply to the person who said it is its own variant. Its not. It a North American variant with an unbranded ROM. That's why I asked, what was so special about this phone.

Unbranded phones are not left behind, this wont be any different. The 1020 JUST started getting the Cyan update, yesterday, in Europe.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
That's fine. If the update is that important, id return it and wait too. I was reply to the person who said it is its own variant. Its not. It a North American variant with an unbranded ROM.

Unbranded phones are not left behind, this wont be any different. The 1020 JUST started getting the Cyan update, yesterday, in Europe.

I'm going to call the Microsoft Store to see what the return policy is for an unbranded/unlocked phone. I know carrier phones tend to have a 14 day window due to the contracts. I'm wondering if I get longer with an unlocked device. If so, I'll hold on to it because the phone/camera is fantastic.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is NOT, I repeat NOT not going to update an unlocked phone. Jesus you guys..... ALL windows 8 phones will eventually get the update. Unlocked may be last at this point since it seems to be geared toward carriers first. Unlocked has no defined carrier.
Stop misleading. As long as the variant you own came online you are ready for upgrade. There are all unlock phones except NA and a few carriers in the rest of the world. And most of them got update since last week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb