Live Folders in 8.1, true? And how much do we have to wait?

Amir Khusro Hamid

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, first of all i dont know when ill be getting the 8.1 (actual) update for my Lumia 920 (USA).

Secondly, are we really getting Live Folders?! Cause that'd be great!

Just to clarify, we're getting Live Folders in this immediate Update which is coming up, right?

Lastly if anyone has a clue to when the actual update is coming for the 920 series. Please comment. I haven't upgraded my Lumia to Preview cause i think the actual update is right around the corner.

Guidance please.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, live folders are real. I currently have them on my phone now. I'm not sure when you'll be getting Cyan but when you do so soon, you can use Preview for Developers to get the GDR1 so you can use the live folders feature.

You can also get WP8.1 and GDR1 now via Preview and wait for MS to release the fix for Cyan. You'll get it eventually anyway.

Amir Khusro Hamid

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So the 8.1 and 8.1 GDR1 are 2 different things? Cause i've read about them in same context of "Update 1"

Moreover, i have a friend who has a 1020 (USA) who changed his phone to preview; i didn't see live folders in his preview version :/. He also said after using it that his phone is glitching and has gotten slower, slightly.

I've been worried that it'd do the same to my 920. And i've read articles where some say that we'll get updates of the actual 8.1 so we wont have to downgrade the whole version to get the actual one. Some say we'll have to.

So what's the consequence for upgrading to preview.

Cause i did download the app but when i read in the terms that if i lose something, Data, Microsoft wont be answerable to it.

So im actually very confused. :/

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, WP8.1 and GDR1 are different things. WP8.1 is the OS and GDR1 is the update to the OS.

Maybe he hasn't downloaded GDR1 yet or didn't make any folders yet?

We can't guarantee that your phone will or will not glitch or lag. It's a developer preview, it's purely optional. You can opt to wait for the official update if you're too worried.

About your "downgrade" confusion. As of now, you need to downgrade IF you are on WP8.1 preview and you want to download Cyan (assuming your phone's region is already eligible for it). You DO NOT need to downgrade if you are on WP8.1 preview want to get GDR1. You can still enter developer preview after you get Cyan to get GDR1.

Consequences for upgrading to preview? Well, your phone MIGHT (take note: MIGHT) lag or use up much of your battery faster than it was on WP8.

Microsoft won't be responsible for your data. Photos, messages, etc.. They can't retrieve it for you if you lose it, so backup everything first. Just don't mess with your phone during installation. Just don't touch it, let it install. It'll take some time depending on your phone. I recommend you charge your battery and keep it charge until the update is done.

anon(8921886)

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Accept for people who use bitlicker, not anyone has ever lost there data. If you want bleeding edge software, use developer previews. If you want an rock solid phone, wait until Nokia comes with the update (2 to 3 months after developer preview update).

My phone has become slower. This is because I don't have the appropriate Nokia firmware that while come with normal Nokia updates (which you will also get off you have developer preview).

The downgrading part: You can also wait and the update will come eventually.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, WP8.1 and GDR1 are different things. WP8.1 is the OS and GDR1 is the update to the OS.

Maybe he hasn't downloaded GDR1 yet or didn't make any folders yet?

We can't guarantee that your phone will or will not glitch or lag. It's a developer preview, it's purely optional. You can opt to wait for the official update if you're too worried.

About your "downgrade" confusion. As of now, you need to downgrade IF you are on WP8.1 preview and you want to download Cyan (assuming your phone's region is already eligible for it). You DO NOT need to downgrade if you are on WP8.1 preview want to get GDR1. You can still enter developer preview after you get Cyan to get GDR1.

Consequences for upgrading to preview? Well, your phone MIGHT (take note: MIGHT) lag or use up much of your battery faster than it was on WP8.

Microsoft won't be responsible for your data. Photos, messages, etc.. They can't retrieve it for you if you lose it, so backup everything first. Just don't mess with your phone during installation. Just don't touch it, let it install. It'll take some time depending on your phone. I recommend you charge your battery and keep it charge until the update is done.

Some great advice here but I have just a couple of questions, if that's ok.
I
'm waiting in the UK, on an EE 920, for Cyan/8.1 official as I'm currently running the dev preview ( I have actually hit the DP update error but that is a separate issue)- currently I'm out of the country in France, and in the past I have successfully installed updates during the summer abroad before when I've been out of the country. My question is about downgrading from Dev preview to get the official Cyan/8.1 when its available, which I think may be fairly soon. I don't have my laptop with me and only my surface 2 so can't run any NSU software to downgrade etc, but if I hard re-seted the device (after backing up) would that be sufficient to then update to the OFFICIAL Cyan/8.1 offering when its available for my hand set??

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Some great advice here but I have just a couple of questions, if that's ok.
I
'm waiting in the UK, on an EE 920, for Cyan/8.1 official as I'm currently running the dev preview ( I have actually hit the DP update error but that is a separate issue)- currently I'm out of the country in France, and in the past I have successfully installed updates during the summer abroad before when I've been out of the country. My question is about downgrading from Dev preview to get the official Cyan/8.1 when its available, which I think may be fairly soon. I don't have my laptop with me and only my surface 2 so can't run any NSU software to downgrade etc, but if I hard re-seted the device (after backing up) would that be sufficient to then update to the OFFICIAL Cyan/8.1 offering when its available for my hand set??

Hard resetting will not change the OS or firmware. It will only restore you to the default settings of the OS and delete any personal data (messages, music, photos, etc). You really need to use Nokia Software Recovery Tool if you want to downgrade to WP8.0 so you can get Cyan/WP8.1. Or wait for the DP to Cyan issue to be fixed.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard resetting will not change the OS or firmware. It will only restore you to the default settings of the OS and delete any personal data (messages, music, photos, etc). You really need to use Nokia Software Recovery Tool if you want to downgrade to WP8.0 so you can get Cyan/WP8.1. Or wait for the DP to Cyan issue to be fixed.

Thank you sir, that is what I suspected. Either way I'm waiting but I was curious to see if there was anything I can do. It was encouraging to have Joe B reference the current bug with the DP update, so I'm sitting tight for now..

Amir Khusro Hamid

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Im sorry to bother you guys again, but following another question.

The thing is, which i have a complain to the Nokia peeps, is that if one makes an announcement of something, per say an update. Why cant they be timely about it.

Well i cant wait any longer for the actual update. Because there is no schedule for the update (Timely Schedule) moreover it seems Nokia's target market is mostly UK, India and China (because of the 520 invasion in Asia) and i guess UK's peeps prone to creativity and individuality. Perhaps i guess. So since there is no prominent timing of the 920 USA update.

Would someone please tell me how will i (AFTER the Preview) make the GDR1 update to get the live folders please?

And if anyone has any idea of when the 920 be released in the USA. PLEASE tell me. If its soon i ill wait. If its another few months, ill go for the buggy preview.

I know what im about to say may be humorous to you guys. But seriously sitting with a Nokia amongst friends whom mostly have apple and android. And with futility telling them how cool NokiaWindows Phone really is seems vague.

There are only a handful of us consumers marketing for Nokia. And yes as far it is concerns, its a Windows problem and NOT nokia's to not give timely updates.

Would you guys please tell me how i am to get the live folder GDR1 update?

Whats the process, and if the update is really coming soon, should i wait?

Thank You

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Im sorry to bother you guys again, but following another question.

The thing is, which i have a complain to the Nokia peeps, is that if one makes an announcement of something, per say an update. Why cant they be timely about it.

Well i cant wait any longer for the actual update. Because there is no schedule for the update (Timely Schedule) moreover it seems Nokia's target market is mostly UK, India and China (because of the 520 invasion in Asia) and i guess UK's peeps prone to creativity and individuality. Perhaps i guess. So since there is no prominent timing of the 920 USA update.

Would someone please tell me how will i (AFTER the Preview) make the GDR1 update to get the live folders please?

And if anyone has any idea of when the 920 be released in the USA. PLEASE tell me. If its soon i ill wait. If its another few months, ill go for the buggy preview.

I know what im about to say may be humorous to you guys. But seriously sitting with a Nokia amongst friends whom mostly have apple and android. And with futility telling them how cool NokiaWindows Phone really is seems vague.

There are only a handful of us consumers marketing for Nokia. And yes as far it is concerns, its a Windows problem and NOT nokia's to not give timely updates.

Would you guys please tell me how i am to get the live folder GDR1 update?

Whats the process, and if the update is really coming soon, should i wait?

Thank You

Now if you are already on WP8.1 DP (and I assume you still have Preview for Developers installed), all you have to do is simply check for updates and let it download and install. To make a Live Folder, simply hold a live tile, drag it on top of another live tile and wait for about a second. You'll see that the live tile under the one you're holding will change into a grid. Let go and now you've made a folder. You can customize the folder's name and size by holding it, just like any other live tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro