Lumia 1020 won't turn on (not able to soft/hard reset, NSRT does not detect the phone)

Branislav Grenus

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello folks, I'm quite desperate now.

Yesterday, I went running with my Lumia 1020 listening to music and using the Runtastic app.
Out of the blue, the music stopped - I looked at the phone - it was turned off. I tried powering on, but to no avail. I should also mention that upon leaving, the battery was fully charged and this happened after some 20 minutes.
When I came home, I immediately put the phone on the wall charger and expected it to power on after a while. I checked it after 3 hours and nothing, the phone was still stone-dead and what was even more worrying, completely cold - no heat-up from charging.
I tried a soft reset - no reaction. I tried to hard reset the phone via the hardware keys combo - nada.
I tried connecting it to my PC - the computer didn't even recognize ANY device was connected to it. Just to be sure, I tried Nokia Software Recovery Tool, but sure enough, it was not able to detect the phone.
The phone seems to be dead meat now, but when I put it on my desk wireless charging stand, the stand's indicator lights up, although the phone does nothing and stays that way.

Any ideas about how can I try and revive this one? Please note, that I already went through the usual motions and my main problem is that I cannot power the phone on into ANY state and although the battery should still be full, I'm not able to charge it and then turn on.
And one more thing - when I connect the phone to the wall charger (but not with the wireless charging stand), the Windows key lights up and stays that way for about 30 seconds, then goes out. The same happens when I press the power button while on charger.

Please, help!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello folks, I'm quite desperate now.

Yesterday, I went running with my Lumia 1020 listening to music and using the Runtastic app.
Out of the blue, the music stopped - I looked at the phone - it was turned off. I tried powering on, but to no avail. I should also mention that upon leaving, the battery was fully charged and this happened after some 20 minutes.
When I came home, I immediately put the phone on the wall charger and expected it to power on after a while. I checked it after 3 hours and nothing, the phone was still stone-dead and what was even more worrying, completely cold - no heat-up from charging.
I tried a soft reset - no reaction. I tried to hard reset the phone via the hardware keys combo - nada.
I tried connecting it to my PC - the computer didn't even recognize ANY device was connected to it. Just to be sure, I tried Nokia Software Recovery Tool, but sure enough, it was not able to detect the phone.
The phone seems to be dead meat now, but when I put it on my desk wireless charging stand, the stand's indicator lights up, although the phone does nothing and stays that way.

Any ideas about how can I try and revive this one? Please note, that I already went through the usual motions and my main problem is that I cannot power the phone on into ANY state and although the battery should still be full, I'm not able to charge it and then turn on.
And one more thing - when I connect the phone to the wall charger (but not with the wireless charging stand), the Windows key lights up and stays that way for about 30 seconds, then goes out. The same happens when I press the power button while on charger.

Please, help!

Did you try the "my phone can't/won't start" button in NSRT?

Branislav Grenus

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Did you try the "my phone can't/won't start" button in NSRT?

Of course I did - I disconnected the phone as prompted and then reconnected it while the tool was waiting for connection. After a few minutes, the tool displays a prompt to try and hold down the volume down and power button, so it can detect the phone. But that doesn't do anything in my case - the phone doesn't even flinch, so NSRT won't detect it.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Of course I did - I disconnected the phone as prompted and then reconnected it while the tool was waiting for connection. After a few minutes, the tool displays a prompt to try and hold down the volume down and power button, so it can detect the phone. But that doesn't do anything in my case - the phone doesn't even flinch, so NSRT won't detect it.

Hmm. If you have access to a different cable that might be worth trying (if you haven't already of course).

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
hey Branislav Grenus

ive had the exact same problem with my 1020 in similar conditions to you - phone totally dead after full charge, used it numerous times, put it in my pocket then nothing... tried multiple cables, wall charge / pc charge, pc wont recognise the device... this seems odd as we've both got 1020's and both have failed at almost the same time

im running 8.1, recently installed the new patch, but seemed to be running ok over the past few days... what are you running?

i have sent a message to nokia australia but i hope someone can resolve this cause it seems not an isolated incident if we both have the same problem

Branislav Grenus

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Brendan,

I was running the 8.1 DP and recently installed the Update 1 for WP 8.1 - obviosly without Cyan.

I got the phone via Amazon.de last September, until now, it had been working quite well, apart from some random reboots.
I was using the phone while running for the past three weeks (Runtastic and music) and the only issued I've had was the touch screen got unresponsive several times, because I wore the phone hooked in my shorts display down. This actually happened in the same situation, but I doubt it is related.
I've been too busy ever since to do anything about it apart from posting this thread and still am, so any help would be gretly appreciated.

Give me a shout when you learn anything new!

Thanks for replying.

Branislav Grenus

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Brendan,

I was running the 8.1 DP and recently installed the Update 1 for WP 8.1 - obviosly without Cyan.

I got the phone via Amazon.de last September, until now, it had been working quite well, apart from some random reboots.
I was using the phone while running for the past three weeks (Runtastic and music) and the only issued I've had was the touch screen got unresponsive several times, because I wore the phone hooked in my shorts display down. This actually happened in the same situation, but I doubt it is related.
I've been too busy ever since to do anything about it apart from posting this thread and still am, so any help would be gretly appreciated.

Give me a shout when you learn anything new!

Thanks for replying.

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
so it seems we are running the same OS and have got the same problem...

i havent seen any solutions online anywhere yet, waiting for nokia australia to get back to me - will post any findings here

cheers

Tonya R

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issues....was using Skype to talk to my husband in Sweden and the phone died.....plugged it up to charge and the windows light stays on for a few minutes then goes off....tried the recovery tool after a few hours and it doesn't detect the phone. Bought the phone in Sweden in December but using in the states while I am here taking care of my mother who is ill...I DEPEND on this phone for communication with both my husband and my son who is in the navy on deployment right now......if you have any other suggestions please share them and please let me know if you hear back from your source.

Thanks!

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
hi tonya (and branislav)

i tried to post this link earlier but i havent made enough posts to have link permission, so here's the pasted info i was sent from nokia australia for troubleshooting the 1020 - let me know if either of u have any luck::

Try these fixes if, for example, your phone randomly reboots, freezes or does not switch on, if an app crashes, if you have sound problems, or if the screen is blank:

1. Restart your phone.

Press and hold the Power and Volume Down keys simultaneously for 10-15 seconds. Release and the phone will restart. After this operation, you may need to set the date and time on the phone.
If the problem persists, reset and restore your phone as instructed below.

2. Reset and restore your phone.

Important:

This erases all personal content on your phone and restores the factory settings.
Before continue with the reset, make sure your phone’s battery level is above 50%. To check the remaining battery life, go to Settings > battery saver. If you are not able to check it, or the level is too low, charge your phone for at least 20 minutes.
Option 1: If your phone powers on and allows you access to your phone settings: Select Settings > About > Reset your phone.

Option 2: If your phone will not power on, follow the steps below:

Switch off your phone, and disconnect the charger.
Press and hold the volume down key, and connect the charger. If an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen, release the volume down key.
Then press the volume and power keys in the following order: volume up, volume down, power, and volume down.
Wait for your phone to reset, during the reset you will see gears rotating on the screen for up to 5 minutes, after which the screen goes blank for ~30 seconds and then your phone will restart.
Go through the initial phone setup. Make sure that you have the date and time set correctly on your phone (Settings > date+time).
Disconnect the charger.

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
the response i had with the above techniques is when i hold down power and volume down, the phone while it's connected via usb will light up the windows logo for a short period, then stop & disconnect from the computer... at least im getting a response from the phone now but nothing further than that unfortunately...

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the response i had with the above techniques is when i hold down power and volume down, the phone while it's connected via usb will light up the windows logo for a short period, then stop & disconnect from the computer... at least im getting a response from the phone now but nothing further than that unfortunately...

Brendan, there is a known issue with WP where it goes into an infinite booting loop, just like you described. My girlfriend's 8X had the same problem and she had to return it. We tried lots of suggestions but nothing helped, luckily she was eligible for a replacement. As far as I know this issue has been addressed. I suggest you to visit the service centre and get it sorted.

Branislav and Tonya, I suggest you too the same if nothing on the web helps you. People at service centres might have seen issues like this, the issue can be resolved much faster.

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Brendan, there is a known issue with WP where it goes into an infinite booting loop, just like you described. My girlfriend's 8X had the same problem and she had to return it. We tried lots of suggestions but nothing helped, luckily she was eligible for a replacement. As far as I know this issue has been addressed. I suggest you to visit the service centre and get it sorted.

ok thanks for that revanthpallagani, will definitely give that a go as it seems there's no info online for a solution to this problem... will report back once i speak to someone

Zollie

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me, the dame way I read the error report Then I scrolled through all solutions, and started to charge the Lumina 1020 in different position accidently upside down. Must be connection problem, the phone started to charge, than started up. First thing on UI the low battery Icon, than later started up, and show the 4% battery low warning.
This Windows 8.1 phone was dead, blinking the windows sign and did not start, however accidently I charged up upside down, now I detected the Nokia contact to charger plug is faulty.

rea2013

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just tried it now, unfortunately it didn't work. However, it does now consistently light up the home button for ~30 secs when I plug it in when before it would only happen occasionally and when I used a computer rather than a wall socket. Thanks for the suggestion.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Earlier this morning i had woken to find my 1020 phone totally dead and unresponsive :-( i just thought battery was drained overnight,but upon connecting charger nothing ,no flashing windows led ,wireless charger detected it but again no flashing windows led :-( fortunately just the standard hold power and volume down 15 secs fixed it for me...
Had me worried after already reading this thread and id already put my simcard in a backup Motorola pebble ;-)
I did drop my phone and crack screen corner last week but has worked perfectly since so doubt that caused damage,im just think its software related.

Raaghav Shankar

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Im suffering from the same issue at the moment, was charging the phone, unplugged it, used it for a while and then screen goes off, i thought the screen just timed out. But when i got back to my phone, it wasnt turning on.. I tried all the resets except the hard reset... Cuz i have a few important docs that i havent synced or backed up anywhere. The windows logomlights up for about 30 secs when the charger is plugged in and when i do the soft reset instead of vibrating the logo blinks and then nothing..
I use my phone for almost all my photographic work and now im desperate for a solution.. All help is welcome :(

Brendan Krotz

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
unfortunately it seems there is no solution out there as there's been no response on here or other sites...

i contacted Nokia Australia and they suggested taking it to a repair centre... this maybe the only option...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb