730 phone is dead already before it arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
This thread is pointless. We have seen posts like this with every-fking-device that came out after iPhone. This phone kills that phone, that phone is dead because of that phone. No it does not matter. iPhone's will keep selling, no matter what they push out next. Galaxy S6 will sell no matter what they do with it. The L730 probably isnt going to sell too much, but its another device and some sales for Microsoft. There wont be any game changing device that suddenly makes everything different.

The "hit WP device" 520 has sold 12 million? Doesnt high end Galaxy's sell like 10 million or something in a QUARTER. Same with Note etc...? The L730 will sell what it will sell, no one really cares and even Microsoft does not epect too much Im sure.

The thread is not pointless as the "one" phone only got reviewed yesterday in a major newspaper. If Microsoft knows that there is a mid range phone out there with better specs then they need to compete more.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Of course Microsoft knows about this phone. Wouldn't be surprised if they've been offered to buy the company. :p The One phone is a marketing stunt, not much more. It will never sell in large quantities at this price.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think this quote from TechRadar pretty much sums up the situation:

Lau explained that the company was taking a different approach to marketing and a more relaxed approach to profits in the short term:

"We are selling the phone at cost. We are able to do that by redistributing our costs to better benefit the user," he said.

Phone focus
I am not sure where this "special invite" comes from as that is b?llocks to say the least. Its an official phone coming out to all retailers

Bollocks you say? Well, here is another part of the article.

"Rather than put money towards a large marketing budget, we are focusing on online marketing and community interaction. Rather than working with retail partners, we rely on selling the device online."

The move is a brave and risky one for a new company, as it could see the new phone sink without a trace with no marketing push to keep it in the public eye. Even early positivity could quickly drop with no retailers offering the phone at key points in the product cycle, and it will be interesting to see how the brand takes on this challenge.

--------------------------------
My thoughts:

A phone is just a phone and without marketing and 3rd party support, will get nowhere. Now sure, if the OnePlus One and 730 had the exact same marketing, retailer support, resources backing it, then sure, the 730 would probably get destroyed. But they don't, and they can't, so they won't. I don't care how amazing this phone is, an online, invite-only, Chinese, too good to be true phone will not appeal to the masses. It just won't. Now can someone please close this pointless thread?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The thread is not pointless as the "one" phone only got reviewed yesterday in a major newspaper. If Microsoft knows that there is a mid range phone out there with better specs then they need to compete more.

I'm sorry it is pointless, major newspaper or not the One Plus One has been (apparently out) for more than a few months. It was all the rage when it was announced.. but people have forgotten about it now. Most People are fickle fish when it comes technology (the out cry when the 930 was shipped with the snapdragon 800), in a month everything is going to be dominated by the new iphone and the "ground breaking" phablet. (Hence why MS is rumoured to announce devices in November)

Simply because it is an iphone - it is bound to be "amazing" right? :winktongue:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Just read a review of "the one phone" in the newspaper. It has

5.5 in screen
801 processor
3GB of internal ram...YES 3GB !!
13 megapixel back camera
5 megapixel front camera
16GB internal memory
How much you ask?
Off contract.....

Two hundred and twenty nine pounds

You can't even compare the two phones. I've researched the OnePlus One and I know all about it. It's the cheapest true high-end phone on the market. You know what the problem is? It's exclusive. Very. It's extremely hard to buy. You have to buy an invitation to even get ahold of the phone. It's an experiment.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Read the review on trustedreviews.com. They provide a complete cover of quality, specs, availability, features. Everything about the phone. They rated it high, but their biggest problem was that very few people would ever get a hold of this phone. The OnePlus One is not in the same class as the 730. Actually, there's a second extremely cheap Chinese phone that was released(also on trustedreviews) but it's availability is still negligible. There is no competition here. Like I said, these phones are experiments to see if Chinese companies can even make quality phones for cheap. There is no time in the near future that they'll actually be a threat to any other major phone company.

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the 730 might just die on its own. It's a mid-range phone at best and I doubt anyone is dying to upgrade to it. It'll probably be a Verizon ot AT&T exclusive as well, because MS knows better than to make products available to a wide base potential customers.

It might sell decently for a WP, but it has nothing special going on for it and probably won't see any advertising.

Uh, hello.
USA is not the only country in the world.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
They should stick Windows Phone OS on that hardware and sell an alternative version for the same price...

To be honest they are not really "selling" (no retail availability) they are selling or rather trying to sell an "image" to gain mind share but without any marketing this "experiment" is futile lol.

Mark section

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
One plus 1 is just a marketing gimic. I mean they priced it at 300 but they are not selling it. So its bassless to bargain about it. I can to price a phone at free and never sell it. Only tech reviewers got them till now and they bargain about price. Lol marketing gimik
Say lol

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You are refering to the OnePlus One from Oppo.

And 730, are you kidding me? This Cyanogen modded droid blows every single windows phone out of the galaxy(except perhaps the 1020 in respect to the brilliant camera), and makes the galaxy s5 look like an useless extravagance.
Not only does it meet the One from Htc head on regarding performance, but it also threatens iPhones.

The only snag i see, is the Chinese company bit. No offence but, personal experience tells me that chinese products have never lasted a... month, to be honest.

Until you drop it on asphalt while getting out of your car.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, it is not from Oppo. Also, it has a limited availability ie. invites.

Effectively, it is. The CEO of the firm producing the OnePlus One is a major shareholder in Oppo. It will be released on general sale in the UK in "the last quarter of 2014".

Specs do matter because that's what buyers look at. However we need to remember that other things, such as brand reputation, mean a lot to people too. People love brands. For everybody who buys a OnePlus One there will be ten more who dismiss it because they have never heard of them. Take Huawei for example, biggest manufacturer in the world yet in the West they are conceived as a minor brand. How about Xiaomi. Never heard of them? They make some very highly specced phones and now outsell Apple in China! But you don't see many here. Market a Xiaomi over here and you will find it costs a lot less than the mainstream brands over here, but take the same phone and put a Samsung badge on it, slap ?100 on the price and you will sell millions more.

Phone operating systems are less of an issue because most people do not know how to compare them so they look at the specs. A lot of people don't even realise that (for example) Samsung, Nokia and Apple phones all work differently, they only see screen sizes and megapixel cameras. Not convinced? Take a look at sites selling prepay phones and look at the bullet points - ever noticed that you rarely see in the feature list, "android phone", "windows phone" or "iOS"? Most casual buyers don't have a clue, they just want "a nice phone" with a brand name they have heard of and (think they) can rely on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05