Window Phone 8,1 Update 1 Help?

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends,

I Live In Belgium, getting tired of waiting and waiting for windows phone 8,1 I installed developers preview with windows phone 8.1 Update 1. Everything is going smoothly, but just had a few questions if someone can help me please.

1) I need to activate cortana, Region, keyboard, speech all set to US English but it does not get activated. How can I activate cortana?

2) In Pictures I see a folder name Others. Where do these photo come from?

3) Also after the update Extras + Info shows Lumia Black. Is it normal?

Awaiting your replys.

Thanks

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Friends,

I Live In Belgium, getting tired of waiting and waiting for windows phone 8,1 I installed developers preview with windows phone 8.1 Update 1. Everything is going smoothly, but just had a few questions if someone can help me please.

1) I need to activate cortana, Region, keyboard, speech all set to US English but it does not get activated. How can I activate cortana?

2) In Pictures I see a folder name Others. Where do these photo come from?

3) Also after the update Extras + Info shows Lumia Black. Is it normal?

Awaiting your replys.

Thanks

1) Language needs to be set to US English as well - I always have to do 4 things or she doesn't appear.

2) That folder is generally when you've added them by other means (such as drag and drop via a PC/Mac).

3) That's correct - the GDR update, contrary to popular belief doesn't bring the Cyan update with it.

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
1) Language needs to be set to US English as well - I always have to do 4 things or she doesn't appear.

2) That folder is generally when you've added them by other means (such as drag and drop via a PC/Mac).

3) That's correct - the GDR update, contrary to popular belief doesn't bring the Cyan update with it.

Thanks for the quick reply David.

1) Language set to US English, Phone Restarted but still no Cortana.
2) Never Added any photos to the phone via cable or Bluetooth or any other means
3)SOLVED

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Double check the various options are set - I've found that installing them doesn't always activate them after the restart in most cases. On first launch Cortana must be fired up from the app list - using the search key until that's done will just bring up the old TellMe interface.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The "Other" folder for photos that I have was created by WhatsApp. They used to use their own folder called "WhatsApp", but now it's "Other". Really annoying, as OneDrive doesn't back these up automatically.

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you keep 2 languages for keyboard? If you do, make sure the US English is on top of the list, or you remove the 2nd language

EDIT: Sorry, I meant language setting;not keyboard.
So when you open language setting, English (US) is on top of the list with details at bottom saying Phone language and Speech are 'enabled' and Keyboard is English

Last edited:

isicles

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you keep 2 languages for keyboard? If you do, make sure the US English is on top of the list, or you remove the 2nd language

EDIT: Sorry, I meant language setting;not keyboard.
So when you open language setting, English (US) is on top of the list with details at bottom saying Phone language and Speech are 'enabled' and Keyboard is English

wp_ss_20140809_0001.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0002.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0003.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0004.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0005.jpg

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok noted. You are having same issue with my htc8x last time, but i don't quite remember how to fix it. I re-did the steps all over again by changing the language first (delete all and add English US and then reboot). Then change the region to another country, reboot and then change again to US. You can give this a try, or try soft-reset first.
Not sure also if someone in the wp 8.1 preview for developer forum has touched similar issue or not. You can browse that section also for further help.

Kaloyan Krumov

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, what's the I'd of the installed update on your HTC8X? I was thinking MS stopped the 8.1 update 1 for all HTC devices!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1 by HTC WP8X using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs