Serious dislikes with the 8.1 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob00000

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
With regard to your camera, it's possible it's chosen Microsoft Camera over Nokia Camera - a poke around in Application Settings will sort that. Cortana - it's the WP equivalent of Siri and Google Now. Use is entirely optional and it can be turned off, again in settings. Calendar - I can't say much as I don't use it the way you appear to, same with tasks.

However, if you do wish to go back to 8.0, the Nokia Software Recovery Tool can help you. There are plenty of guides on here for its use - just make sure you back up things you want to keep. When it's done, go into phone updates and turn off the 'automatically download updates' option. That should prevent you from receiving the 8.1/Cyan update again.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Having upgraded my 1520 to W8.1, I won't be doing it for my L920.

While I am not as frustrated as Rob, my feeling is that "What's so great about it?" after playing with it for a day. I don't even have the Cortana function. And, what are those games apps scattering and adding to the long list of app listing? etc etc.....

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
On the contrary, I like WP8.1. The new week and month view of the calendar is so much better. I cannot even see what the hell is being written with the old calendar for the month view during WP8.0. I find the day view is also much cleaner than the agenda view from the old calendar. Now I can have a clearer view of what's happening for today and tomorrow. Regarding the camera, I find Nokia Camera is great. I can still toggle the flash with just a tap on the button on the action bar at the top. Don't like Cortana (you are the special one), just flip the switch off.

Windows Phone Cortana
settings | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Perhaps W8.1 is not for everyone, just like other OSes as well when a newer version is released. And yes, you can always downgrade back to WP8.0 and miss out all the fun going forward.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Having upgraded my 1520 to W8.1, I won't be doing it for my L920.

While I am not as frustrated as Rob, my feeling is that "What's so great about it?" after playing with it for a day. I don't even have the Cortana function. And, what are those games apps scattering and adding to the long list of app listing? etc etc.....

With GDR1, comes live folders. Soon you can group all the games into a common folder tile. That's a very great idea from MS of house keeping tiles on the start screen and no more scattering.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
What's so great about it? More stability, better browser with the option to attach files. Better firmware for the 1520. The calendar as been optimized, don't know why Rob think it sucks. You can save your apps and settings to the SD-card. The only thing I don't use and I disabled is Cortana. I am not a fan in voice based utility apps.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
With GDR1, comes live folders. Soon you can group all the games into a common folder tile. That's a very great idea from MS of house keeping tiles on the start screen and no more scattering.
To be honest, it was a great way of compressing tiles to save space (an obvious function of folders), as well as allowing the tiles to get their own breathing room (Win8.x tile groups).

It just dawned upon me just now that the folder implementation actually does a good job of replacing semantic zoom.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! ...Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!

You know before going to upgrade u have to read the update description...It your fault for installing the update anyway u can revert to WP8 by using nokia recovery tool...Good luck and make sure to backup before reverting...
Note : Never update again before you knew about it..

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!

You need a pint my friend!

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Well that's your opinion on the matter Rob, as for me I like everything 8.1 and I so love Cortana, is not hard as you think, just relax, it takes time and before you know it you will be handling it like a pro, it didn't take me too long to master 8.1, just some hours, and I knew everything I needed, it took me mins to master the new gdr1, and am very proud of MS and windows phone 8.1, best OS upgrade ever

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

I feel for you mate, but I think the new calender is way better -- I can see everything at a glance. However, what I don't like is as follows:

It seems like Microsoft has tried to fix things that aren't broken, while trying to implement new features. This has resulted in a mess in some parts of the OS. One example is the new toggle to stop apps running in the background -- it's stupid which makes simple tasks take longer, and I'll tell you why.

As far as I'm aware, now I have to go to:

settings > battery saver > usage > click app > toggle switch off.

Whereas, before it was:

settings > swipe applications > background tasks > app > block > tick box to turn background tasks back on, when the app is reopened.

Some members may look and say the new way has one less step.

However, in reality it isn't. For example, when I use MetroTube I like to lock my screen when I'm only listening to lectures, as I don't need to watch the video. The updated way of doing things doesn't allow it, if it's toggled off. So I have to go back through all those steps to enable background tasks, so MetroTube plays the video in the background. This means it takes 10 steps to do what it took 6 to do before the update -- because it automatically enabled background tasks.

I hope I'm wrong and somebody can show me a simpler way of doing things with new way, than the the old method. If not, this proves Microsoft have messed it up by not studying real life usage. Therefore, this isn't making my life easier, which I thought it would do.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel for you mate, but I think the new calender is way better -- I can see everything at a glance. However, what I don't like is as follows:

It seems like Microsoft has tried to fix things that aren't broken, while trying to implement new features. This has resulted in a mess in some parts of the OS. One example is the new toggle to stop apps running in the background -- it's stupid which makes simple tasks take longer, and I'll tell you why.

As far as I'm aware, now I have to go to:

settings > battery saver > usage > click app > toggle switch off.

Whereas, before it was:

settings > swipe applications > background tasks > app > block > tick box to turn background tasks back on, when the app is reopened.

Some members may look and say the new way has one less step.

However, in reality it isn't. For example, when I use MetroTube I like to lock my screen when I'm only listening to lectures, as I don't need to watch the video. The updated way of doing things doesn't allow it, if it's toggled off. So I have to go back through all those steps to enable background tasks, so MetroTube plays the video in the background. This means it takes 10 steps to do what it took 6 to do before the update -- because it automatically enabled background tasks.

I hope I'm wrong and somebody can show me a simpler way of doing things with new way, than the the old method. If not, this proves Microsoft have messed it up by not studying real life usage. Therefore, this isn't making my life easier, which I thought it would do.

Well, I'm confused about the Background Tasks thing, as I personally leave it on for apps which I think require being left on (for live tile purposes etc). I certainly don't go back and forth to Battery Saver all the time to keep switching things on and off. Pin the Battery Saver app to your start screen, that'll save a step. Leave MetroTube to run in the background all the time. It only means that the live tile updates, really, so it won't drain the battery.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm confused about the Background Tasks thing, as I personally leave it on for apps which I think require being left on (for live tile purposes etc). I certainly don't go back and forth to Battery Saver all the time to keep switching things on and off. Pin the Battery Saver app to your start screen, that'll save a step. Leave MetroTube to run in the background all the time. It only means that the live tile updates, really, so it won't drain the battery.

What Dazzi is trying to say is, it was much easier in W8.0 to block off background tasks = just tap tap tap on the list of apps you want to switch off. In W8.1, you need to tap which will bring you to another screen, from there you slide the toggle switch.........................

Since background tasks are usually a long list, it can be quite a time-consuming task to do this for the whole list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750