Serious dislikes with the 8.1 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Like a few others have said and what I observed, the OP shows me that the author is used to 8.0 and has no clue what's going on with 8.1. For savvy users (like me and others), it's awesome. To people like the author and my dad, it's confusing and complicated because it's a change from the norm. I can suggest this app that would help you know the features and hidden gems of 8.1:

Help+Tips (beta) | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
WP Answers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

This will at least get you started on what's new on 8.1.Also, there's a community like us that are willing to help with whatever you're having problems with.

8.1 in my opinion is light years away from 8.0, but I can see how it can be overwhelming to some that are not tech savvy like others.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Dear OP: I understand your frustrations. Over many years I've been dragged, for instance, from PC connection to my Nokia phones with Outlook to this whole cloud thing. It's the way it is, eventually you cannot stay where you are without just giving it all up.

My experience with 8.1 is diametrically opposite of yours. For me, the new notification center and related Glance notifications made WP close to perfect. I remember less than a year ago when the reality was I might have missed a call or a text and my 810 screen was just black. I also like all the other options in Settings.

Is WP perfect? No. Neither is Android or iOS. Over some fifteen years of PCS phones and OS's, I still think of the Nokia 9290 as my favorite phone, despite limitations that today we would not accept. I can live in the past, or I can (ften reluctantly) move along.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Eh? I think OP is just resistant to change. The only two things about 8.1 that I'm not pleased with is the added battery life hit (but this is to be expected with all the new features) and the slightly poorer integration with social networking.

In calendar's day view, swipe left or right to change day.

In camera, why tap to shoot? Use the shutter button where possible to reduce jitter when taking shots. In Nokia Pro Cam, tapping the screen chooses a new focus point. Select the old Camera app as default if you prefer using that. And turning the flash off - well there's guides showing you how.

People have already told you how to disable Cortana.

I think you should have looked into these features, how to work them, or disable them a bit before coming here to complain, my friend.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Summary: Some people don't like change.

Solution: Don't ever upgrade.

Alternative: Learn the new features. While there are some things that don't work as well, others are much better and others like Cortana are simply amazing when you really get into it. You pointed out one aspect of the new calendar you don't like - engage Microsoft through UserVoice to add these back in. For many of us the new features in calendar outweigh the lost features. There are even hidden advantages you may not appreciate - like the fact that core functions are now apps (like the calendar) and can easily be enhanced and updated.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line, some people are resistance to changes. They feel overwhelmed by tons of great changes offered by MS this time. And that's why iPhone users are still using the same old UI over and over again, yet iPhone is still the most popular OS out there. I read some of you are turned off by the number of steps one has to take in order to disable background tasks. But looking from another angle, now we have a stand alone app - Battery Saver which allows more fine tuning than the old method. And moving forward, the app can be improved further by MS going forward, WITHOUT the need to wait for OS patches. And thankfully, we can now even filter by apps that can run in background, which is not possible before. Ain't that wonderful after all?

We are challenged by different changes in life, everyday. Instead of complaining, why not embrace them and learn how things work? I'm seeing novice users capable of customizing Android here and there with different launchers, etc and yet some WP users are unable to cope with the user friendly features from Windows Phone 8.1? I feel sorry for them.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you supposed to be funny? And old folks are justified in having a well detailed opinion?

Were you even born when I started using computers? (1988) Or, cellular services in a car phone? (1985)

Oh, and let me correct your grammar. That should be "You're", not "You."

Pretty arrogant for someone still dribbling snot from their nose.

Just because he insulted someone doesn't mean you should be doing the same to him. If you were truly wise, you would know better.

On topic, I think the OP just doesn't want everything to be overhauled on him; he just doesn't want to have to learn new things when he's content with the old stuff. A simple flash back to 8.0 with NSU or Nokia Software Recovery Tool would probably be his best bet.

Switching to another OS seems to be overkill.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
You got all that hate from camera and cortana? You can uninstall Nokia camera and turn cortana off and keep your phone work faster and snappier with the firmware update that came with 8.1.

Before hating, try reading the instructions first. If it didn't work, read it again from the top till you get it.

Last edited:

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
You got all that hate from camera and cortana? You can uninstall Nokia camera and turn cortana off and keep your phone work faster and snappier with the firmware update that came with 8.1.
I can't comment on the Nokia Camera, but from my experience, turning off Cortana, or any system app for that matter, doesn't actually turn it off. :p

jammytech

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I love 8.1 BUT the gaming performance is awful compared to 8. With windows 8 fifa 14 didn't lag at all. With 8.1 every 10 seconds it lags so badly for a couple of seconds like its playing in slow motion. Soft and hard reset didn't do anything and its not on SD card.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
hey Rob00000 just take your time in mastering the windowsphone 8.1 to its full potential and i am sure u will never want to go back to wp8...Everyone here says the same thing....and Good luck

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!
Change the default camera back to Microsoft camera in the settings. Cortana can be disabled by going to the settings then scrolling left to apps and tapping Cortana. You have a notifications center now. Slide down from the top of the screen to show it. You even have quick toggles for wifi,Bluetooth and others that are customizable. You even have quick access to the settings from there. You can now you shape writing which is basically just like Swype. Just swipe on the keyboard what you want to say. You can manage every single app in battery saver now. And you can see how the apps use your battery. This is the best update ever. You just need to get used to it. This gave me hope in wp.

Last edited:

Rob00000

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've read all of your replies and I thank you for the feedback.

Many of you said I need to give it more time, learn the features before complaining, etc. I understand.

I think maybe I was a little spoiled before because when I had my Nokia 900 & 920 those phones were so easy to operate and understand. I felt the same way when I got my 1520 & I guess I just assumed the 8.1 upgrade would be a total cakewalk for me after reading all the great reviews on it.

Seeing so many of you who love it, I must be wrong in my initial assessment of it. I'll give it some time for sure.

Someone said it's apparent the OP (me) just doesn't know how to use his phone. Well gee, that's my point. Before the upgrade I found my phone easy to use & not so much now.

All that being said, I agree with you all that I've formed a negative opinion on 8.1 much too early & need to give it more time.

At any rate I see my post generated a lot of interest & discussion & that's a good thing.

I didn't find anyone's comments to me or about me to be offensive. No hard feelings.

To the guy who said I was "too old for this S#&$" well, I'm 54 & you'll be there someday too so be nice to us "old folks" young fella! OK?

Peace to you all.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a message on my phone saying my 1520 had updates available. I updated to 8.1 & honestly I am beyond disappointed. Not for nothing, but I don't know why everyone wants so badly to upgrade to 8.1. It sucks! The calender changed & I liked it the way it was before when I had 8.0. My camera changed with the 8.1 upgrade & I'm having a hard time understanding how to use it. I can take pictures, yes, but the settings, etc. are very hard to understand now. With 8.0 I could touch the screen anywhere & it would take a picture. Now, there's only a small spot you have to touch. With 8.0 I could turn off the flash whenever I wanted. I have no clue how to do it now. Honestly, I hate everything about 8.1. I enjoy my phone much less. And, what is Cortana & how come it won't allow me to delete it from my phone? I wish it would just go away! Is there a way I can go back to 8.0? I really loved my 1520 when I bought it. I've owned a 900 & I still own a 920 but 8.1 has ruined my 1520. What is so great about 8.1? I can't even scroll to the next day on my calender like I used to with 8.0. No! It stops at 11pm! My tasks are harder to access as well. Who designed this dog of an update? Give me back 8.0!!!

Agree on the calendar point. The pros do outweigh the cons heavily though, the notification centre, sype keyboard, VPN, overall speed and bug busting etc

Camera - You cant touch the screen to take pics, aside from that in Nokia Camera Pro the settings seem the same as in 8.

Cortana - personal assistant - great for speaking to it in natural language, if you don't want it just turn it off. Go to settings, swipe right, click Cortana and off. Its part of the OS so you cant delete it (not sure the reason you want to tbh)

Calendar...what a piece of S**T I cant believe how BAD it was in 8.0 and in 8.1 they have added a week view and completely screwed the tasks up. I run 2 companies and calendar and tasks is fundamental core to ANY company and the pitiful excuse for calendar/tasks is beyond belief. The 3rd party ones are not good enough.

However, MS will be focussing on enterprise (thank god) going forward and will give them one last chance to sort the basics out else I will revaluate in order to be able to get things done.

In all honesty I would like to line the team/managers/testers who designed the calendar/tasks app and run down the line slapping them as I go. They need to do what the Xbox Music team are doing and focus on bi weekly updates to make it remotely usable.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I do not suffer fools gladly. Arrogance and narcissism are among the worst ways of being a fool. I was put on this earth to point out such stupidity. OK, just kidding.

Whether to change OS and phone or not is a personal decision. Overkill for you or me, proper course of action for others.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Rob you can go back to 8 if you so wish but you're actually losing several new functionalities and other things 8.1 offers you (for a device you paid for which had a limited OS). I took the time to read all your post and, please take this with all the humbleness you can imagine, the issues you're complaining about (except smaller keys which may be an issue for some users) the others appear to be a sort of "change crisis". The OS changed so much that left you irritated and disoriented. I have been on the Betas so like others here we got the Beta before others and all what you are seeing is no news. Now there is Beta with Update 1. And i can tell you the phone only got better for me. They even allow me to open password protected files with Office from the SD card, something 8 and 8.1 DP could not do. I can't edit but that's another thing.

Take your time to get used to the new things and get ready for more changes to come. My advice is just to spend some time getting acquainted with changes without losing your temper.

Have a nice day.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
8.1 update gave me lag in most transitions. From Nokia camera to gallery takes about ten seconds to get. Don't know why..
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Calendar...what a piece of S**T I cant believe how BAD it was in 8.0 and in 8.1 they have added a week view and completely screwed the tasks up. I run 2 companies and calendar and tasks is fundamental core to ANY company and the pitiful excuse for calendar/tasks is beyond belief. The 3rd party ones are not good enough.

Apple did the same thing in iOS 7...screwed up the calendar, took away views that many people (including business people) relied on, but ultimately, after enough people griped and complained, they brought those views back to calendar.

Personally, I'd like to see an Outlook for Windows Phone. One integrated app that has all your info that you already have in Outlook on your PC or Mac. Those with Exchange accounts would finally have a seamless experience from desktop to phone. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that...I wonder if one is in the works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss