On my 4th or 5th (can't keep track) 928 -OR- where was Nokia QA on this one?

Wheelman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I like my 928. Nice phone. Just... did Nokia let ZTE design this thing? I'd expect this build quality from a economical no-name device. Not a Nokia.

First phone. Lasted about 4 months and then the ear-piece (for calls) stopped working 100% of the time. Eventually stopped working all the time in the course of a week. Took to Verizon, they shipped me a replacement.

Second phone. Same thing after another 3 months. Took to Verizon, they shipped me a replacement. Ordered a case online once I figured the problem must be bad solders/connectors which would work apart after some torque on the body (IE: gripping/putting in a pocket)

Third phone: lasted 6 months this time with the case. Headphone jack caused a false positive to whether headphones were connected. Only could get audio with headphones. No speaker or even Bluetooth this time. Took to Verizon, told me they only covered for the first year (of the original purchase, not the last replacement) contacted Nokia, shipped to repair, got back.

I'm not really angry. I'm just wondering if I've drawn the short straw on build quality and have had a bad experience or is anyone else out there REALLY familiar with Nokia repair?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I like my 928. Nice phone. Just... did Nokia let ZTE design this thing? I'd expect this build quality from a economical no-name device. Not a Nokia.

First phone. Lasted about 4 months and then the ear-piece (for calls) stopped working 100% of the time. Eventually stopped working all the time in the course of a week. Took to Verizon, they shipped me a replacement.

Second phone. Same thing after another 3 months. Took to Verizon, they shipped me a replacement. Ordered a case online once I figured the problem must be bad solders/connectors which would work apart after some torque on the body (IE: gripping/putting in a pocket)

Third phone: lasted 6 months this time with the case. Headphone jack caused a false positive to whether headphones were connected. Only could get audio with headphones. No speaker or even Bluetooth this time. Took to Verizon, told me they only covered for the first year (of the original purchase, not the last replacement) contacted Nokia, shipped to repair, got back.

I'm not really angry. I'm just wondering if I've drawn the short straw on build quality and have had a bad experience or is anyone else out there REALLY familiar with Nokia repair?

I would say your experience is not typical. I've had mine since launch day. Used it from sea level to 15K feet. 100+ to -25 temps. (I'm on a SAR team) Humidity like no one's business. Dropped it numerous times. Use it for running and biking. Headphones and not. No problems so far.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

since 928 is a verizon exclusive im guessing they are giving defective handsets to you each time or have a half baked product
try and find out if the phones you got were refurbs or something(happens really often)

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd or 4th 928 as well. However, my current one has been working well for several months and I'm confident the issue has been fixed.

I initially kept having the same problem as you. The earpiece of my phone would start cutting out, and I noticed pushing the back of my phone (near the earpiece) with my finger while on a call would make it work again. I kept going to Verizon for replacements, and they kept sending me refurbs that started showing the same problem after 1-2 months each time. Finally, I went to Nokia repair and sent them the phone, and it has been working without issue ever since it came back. I only wish I went to them first since I am now using one of Verizon's refurbs rather than my original, new 928 that was only one month old when I got my first replacement.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Every VZW replacement was a refurbished phone and in my experience they do little more than wipe them and verify they power up before dumping into the refurbished pool. Going through multiple replacements when sent from VZW is not rare - I have sent as many back as have been shipped regardless of brand. I still wouldn't take one of the other carriers but VZW handling of defective products is (and always has been) a nightmare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills