Lumia 1020 Camera Refuses to Load

MattyTeaks

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Any time I attempted to upgrade to 8.1 via Developer Preview, my camera would never work.
I shrugged it off to a firmware thing, hard reset, started from scratch and downgraded to 8.0. Camera back to working fine.

Last night, I upgraded to Cyan/8.1 via the OTA official update from AT&T and the camera works just fine.
I'm not sure the exact measures you guys have used, but so far so good here.

Rezzee

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Very strange update.

After a few days of the phone not working, and printing my return label to Nokia, I decided to power it on one last time before I sent it out, just to be sure. For no apparent reason, the camera has resumed working. I did not install any new updates to the OS or the firmware. I simply left the phone off for a few days, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Weird!

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I am facing the exact same problem with my NL 920, i had this problem before but the camera started working again, now again after i updated to Update 1, it has stopped again. I am in DP.

Will the Cyan firmware fix the problem?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I am facing the exact same problem with my NL 920, i had this problem before but the camera started working again, now again after i updated to Update 1, it has stopped again. I am in DP.

Will the Cyan firmware fix the problem?

For me the cyan update didn't fix anything.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi there!

Beginning this morning, my Lumia 1020 can no longer successfully launch the camera. Any attempt to launch the camera through the button on the side, or through various apps that use the camera result in the phone crashing to the start menu.

I was running Preview for Developers for several weeks before the issue popped up. I had the version just before the latest update. Updating to the newest version did not fix the issue.

I also tried soft reset multiple times, and did a hard reset when all else failed. Still no luck.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it and happen to know how to solve the issue?

Thanks so much!

Had the same thing happen to me on the 1st of this month but a power off and on solved the issue for me.

simplyingenious

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried numerous soft resets, re-installation using nokia software recovery tool, resetting the camera, draining out the battery etc. Camera kept crashing. All those apps crashed which require camera were crashing. I was running windows phone 8.1 update developers preview on Lumia Cyan firmware

What worked for me?
  • Downgraded to windows phone 8.
  • Setup the phone and launched the camera, Black screen. Camera shutter remained opened. Camera apps were still crashing.
  • Performed a hardware reset using the following method:
    1. Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
    2. When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
    3. Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)
  • Completed the phone setup and launched Nokia Camera app. Camera Working Again :smile:

Now that I know that camera is working again. I re-flashed WP8.1 Lumia Cyan firmware and did a hardware reset using the same method as stated above. Camera is back in working condition.

I think flashing back to WP8 wasn't necessary. Re-flashing WP8.1 Lumia Cyan and performing the hardware reset might have done the trick. Anyways, try this out and let us know here if this works for you.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem on 920. Took it to nokia service, after two weeks I received a brand new phone from nokia, with new warranty from today. Good customer care;)

joseph2023

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
hi good day, just want to ask you a question, you said to your post that your lumia 1020 camera stops working and worked again after turning it off for several days, i just want to know if your camera did not crash again, or the problem persists?

RagsnRam

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
So this problem has been there for over a year, and Microsoft hasn't addressed it all.

It's pretty upsetting.

They can introduce fancy all-new phones as much as they want, but if they don't address important issues with their software, how would people use these phones? I mean, what is a Lumia 1020 without its camera?!

They can't be expecting everyone find ways to flash their phones to WP8.0, when this version of the OS is not even found on Device Recovery Tool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire