TMo 925 8.1 / Cyan Update Status

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
this is kinda pissing me off that we dont have it yet

+THIS in a nutshell.... i've got a call directly from TMobile corporate hq concerning my frustration of what is taking so long with rolling out the cyan 8.1 updates for TMO while ATT's 925 have already received theirs and unfortunately, they have no definitive timeframe on when they are rolling it out. They did, however, let me know that they are currently on testing phase and that they are working diligently to get the updates out to consumers asap.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
+THIS in a nutshell.... i've got a call directly from TMobile corporate hq concerning my frustration of what is taking so long with rolling out the cyan 8.1 updates for TMO while ATT's 925 have already received theirs and unfortunately, they have no definitive timeframe on when they are rolling it out. They did, however, let me know that they are currently on testing phase and that they are working diligently to get the updates out to consumers asap.

you should've seen the response I got on their FB page. laughable.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well just flash it to a different firmware (if WiFi calling/internet sharing is not needed) till T-Mobile releases it...which would probably be not soon in the distant future..
WP_20140910_23_55_02_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
TMo 925 8.1 / Cyan Update Status

Yoop no true Cyan T-Mobile update is very frustrating...
___________________________________________________________________________________

If the data plans weren't so reasonable I'd be moving away from T-Imobile.

Actually I like the company and have been a subscriber for many years.
T-Mobile has the "dust off" attitude toward subscribers though.

As long as we don't require genuine customer service things are cool.
Evidently the "tell them what they need to hear" then "don't do anything because they'll get over it" works.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well actually that plus the restricted phone frequencies (band 4 lte and aws) is what that's making me consider moving over to cricket wireless, at least i know all of ATT's mobile line up plus the unlocked phones support frequency bands till hspa+. Also network is better (due to ATT)

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Well actually that plus the restricted phone frequencies (band 4 lte and aws) is what that's making me consider moving over to cricket wireless, at least i know all of ATT's mobile line up plus the unlocked phones support frequency bands till hspa+. Also network is better (due to ATT)
Aren't data speeds restricted on Cricket? It would be great if they aren't, but I'm leaning toward AT&T's recently announced $60 per month prepaid with 2.5gb data. I'm thinking 5 bucks more than what I'm paying now would be a small price to pay to get away from T-Mobile.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Aren't data speeds restricted on Cricket? It would be great if they aren't, but I'm leaning toward AT&T's recently announced $60 per month prepaid with 2.5gb data. I'm thinking 5 bucks more than what I'm paying now would be a small price to pay to get away from T-Mobile.
Well what difference would it make it you get 10mbps on LTE vs 30mbps?

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Well what difference would it make it you get 10mbps on LTE vs 30mbps?
At least on WIFI, I have a Sapido router that according to Speedtest regularly broadcasts more than 30 mbps and another Cisco that runs less than 10 mbps and I can tell the difference on page response and load times. It's possible that AT&T has lightened up on download speed throttling since they bought Cricket, but at one point I believe they were cut down way more than 10 mbps.

eadbhard

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Well just flash it to a different firmware (if WiFi calling/internet sharing is not needed) till T-Mobile releases it...which would probably be not soon in the distant future.

Hi there, got any links that show how to do this please? And... if I brick the phone while trying, could I restore it back with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool? Thanks.

LordIzzy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Yoop no true Cyan T-Mobile update is very frustrating...
___________________________________________________________________________________

If the data plans weren't so reasonable I'd be moving away from T-Imobile.

Actually I like the company and have been a subscriber for many years.
T-Mobile has the "dust off" attitude toward subscribers though.

As long as we don't require genuine customer service things are cool.
Evidently the "tell them what they need to hear" then "don't do anything because they'll get over it" works.
I had this same issue with the Android phone I had before I switched to the 925. T-Mobile kept promising they were going to update that phone to the then latest version of Android and 6 months down the road there was still no update. That's when I decided to get a new phone and switched to the 925.

Well now it looks like the same exact thing is happening with the 925. This definitely appears to be a pattern with T-Mobile. How in the world is it that AT&T releases the update for the same exact phone like what 2 months or so ago now, but T-Mobile is still in the "testing" stage? This makes no sense whatsoever...

I don't care much for AT&T as a company but I will say they are very responsive to getting updates out to their customers. As much as it pains me I might have to start looking into switching from T-Mobile and I've been a customer since way before they were even T-Mobile.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My two-month Internet Sharing troubleshooting, which mainly succeeded in stumping Nokia and T-Mobile tech teams, is still unsolved, but I'm holding onto hope that if T-Mobile actually formally rolls out the 8.1 update for the Lumia 925 handset, I might have a chance to get back that function (and since I can't downgrade to 8.0 even if I wanted to, I guess that's my only chance).

I can't blame anyone who'd drop T-Mobile as a provider--I mostly don't because I'm notoriously cheap, and my primary alternative, AT&T, has a substantially worse reputation for reliability.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Really hoping the firmware is coming.
I just wish there was definition from T-Mo about this.

If the company isn't going to offer or delay new upscale Microsoft handhelds then the least they can do is get Cyan out to current users.

More and more each day I turn to my Lumia 635 that in my mind is topping my 925 in performance.
Keeping the fingers crossed that Cyan (or newer) firmware from T-Slo will give the L925 a new soul...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue with the Android phone I had before I switched to the 925. T-Mobile kept promising they were going to update that phone to the then latest version of Android and 6 months down the road there was still no update. That's when I decided to get a new phone and switched to the 925.

Well now it looks like the same exact thing is happening with the 925. This definitely appears to be a pattern with T-Mobile. How in the world is it that AT&T releases the update for the same exact phone like what 2 months or so ago now, but T-Mobile is still in the "testing" stage? This makes no sense whatsoever...

I don't care much for AT&T as a company but I will say they are very responsive to getting updates out to their customers. As much as it pains me I might have to start looking into switching from T-Mobile and I've been a customer since way before they were even T-Mobile.

I moved to Cricket Wireless today, not because of this update only but also because I didn't want to take any more pain in finding a decent non-TMO branded Windows Phone that supports AWS (I own a Rogers pentaband and the T-Mobile 925) in order to get 3G or LTE on Band 4, which most of the AT&T phones support. I am done with them for good, though I did take a hit with the data speeds, LTE is capped to 8 MBPS whereas HSPA+ is 4MBPS. On T-Mobile I used to get about 10 MBPS on HSPA+ itself. Now since Cricket uses AT&T's towers I don't have to worry about network coverage while driving from Ohio to Missouri, I can live with 4MBPS as long as its consistent. Secondly LTE coverage is close to nothing in Missouri where my wife is going to school, her town does have LTE but outside that its plain old 2G

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, do you really feel that 625 outperforms the 925? Can you elaborate a bit more? I can't wait to see my phone running firmware/software that go hand in hand. I wish they had a Developers Preview for Firmware....

Really hoping the firmware is coming.
I just wish there was definition from T-Mo about this.

If the company isn't going to offer or delay new upscale Microsoft handhelds then the least they can do is get Cyan out to current users.

More and more each day I turn to my Lumia 635 that in my mind is topping my 925 in performance.
Keeping the fingers crossed that Cyan (or newer) firmware from T-Slo will give the L925 a new soul...

wpfanboy17

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe they are waiting for Update2... If they test & release cyan now, they would again need to allocate resources to test Update1 &Update2, so better wait and release Update2

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, do you really feel that 625 outperforms the 925? Can you elaborate a bit more? I can't wait to see my phone running firmware/software that go hand in hand. I wish they had a Developers Preview for Firmware....

Yes my 925 on 8.1 with the latest firmware update as of late has been slower suffering depleted battery time and this is while sitting idle.
The 925 can maintain idle for about six hours then steadily drops to the shutdown state in about 7 hours.
(tried all the tricks with small to no change)
Maybe it needs to go back to basics for comparison.
8.1 is so much nicer as far as features than 8.0 however.

My 635 in factory form is not resuming or acting sluggish.
The cameras load instantly and battery time under intense use gets me a minimum 12 hours (100% to 20%)
This phone can sit for three days (maybe longer) and not shutdown due to the low battery level.
I'm leaving it alone however...I just want it to work.

I haven't been smiling much since I chose to install recent firmware and MM\Nokia native app updates with the 925.
The 925 is a great phone and I feel it will be again soon with a little help from my friends at T-Mobile.

So far:
My choices, my problem, my need to look for better days ahead...

T-Mobile will come thru eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte