SD CARD scan problem?

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 720 with Lumia cyan update (off course wp8.1) in India. I have 150apps installed on phone all on SanDisk Class 10 SD Memory Card. So for fresher phone I hard reset phone(only phone, no SD Card), before hard reset no apps were moved on SD Card.
But now whenever I restart or soft reset my phone this thing everytime occurs (Image) so this is normal to all in wp8.1 or its just me.
Please help me in this regard.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140816_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140816_0003.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 20

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I get this message everytime I turn it on.
My solution? Press no and hope I don't lose whole SD card.
I have 2 questions for you, if you have apps on the card does it take some time for tiles to load on the start screen? Which card brand do you use? I have a Kingston one.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have SanDisk Class 10 32GB memory card, I haven't any tile on start screen now

Yes I get this message everytime I turn it on.
My solution? Press no and hope I don't lose whole SD card.
I have 2 questions for you, if you have apps on the card does it take some time for tiles to load on the start screen? Which card brand do you use? I have a Kingston one.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello Arpit

This issue isn't specific to the Lumia 720. It can happen to any device with an SD card. While I have a Lumia 720, I've never had the issue myself, so while I don't know if I can help you fix the issue, I can tell you how to avoid it in the future:

It seems as though something on the SD card "gets stuck" if you don't shut down your device properly before removing the SD card. You can cause the problem by just popping out the SD card, or resetting the device using the hardware buttons (hard or soft), while the OS is running. Do a proper shutdown (showing the "Good Bye" message) before removing the SD card you'll never experience the issue again.

I have no idea if this solves anything, but if I were in your shoes I would attempt the following:

1. Insert your SD card into a Windows PC with an SD card reader.
  2. Launch a Command Prompt with administrative rights.
  3. In the Command Prompt window, type the following instruction:
    chkdsk [your SD card drive letter]: /r /f /x
    for example:
    chkdsk h: /r /f /x

Good luck.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 720 with Lumia cyan update (off course wp8.1) in India. I have 150apps installed on phone all on SanDisk Class 10 SD Memory Card. So for fresher phone I hard reset phone(only phone, no SD Card), before hard reset no apps were moved on SD Card.
But now whenever I restart or soft reset my phone this thing everytime occurs (Image) so this is normal to all in wp8.1 or its just me.
Please help me in this regard.

Hey!
I'm also a Lumia 720(8.1)DP owner from Pakistan...i also had this issue long long time ago whenever I switched my phone on such information pops up ...i remained clicking no no and no then once i tried yes and left my phone unused for the time required to complete scaning and after that it never happened again

K_Arora5

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey!
I'm also a Lumia 720(8.1)DP owner from Pakistan...i also had this issue long long time ago whenever I switched my phone on such information pops up ...i remained clicking no no and no then once i tried yes and left my phone unused for the time required to complete scaning and after that it never happened again

So did you lose any data as the message prompts you to backup first

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have 150 apps on SD Card, so how much time take approx?
scan completed it says SD Card scan cannot completed, use other SD Card.
Hey!

Last edited:

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried but its says disk is protected &
how to do with command prompt?
Hello Arpit

This issue isn't specific to the Lumia 720. It can happen to any device with an SD card. While I have a Lumia 720, I've never had the issue myself, so while I don't know if I can help you fix the issue, I can tell you how to avoid it in the future:

It seems as though something on the SD card "gets stuck" if you don't shut down your device properly before removing the SD card. You can cause the problem by just popping out the SD card, or resetting the device using the hardware buttons (hard or soft), while the OS is running. Do a proper shutdown (showing the "Good Bye" message) before removing the SD card you'll never experience the issue again.

I have no idea if this solves anything, but if I were in your shoes I would attempt the following:

1. Insert your SD card into a Windows PC with an SD card reader.
  2. Launch a Command Prompt with administrative rights.
  3. In the Command Prompt window, type the following instruction:
    chkdsk [your SD card drive letter]: /r /f /x
    for example:
    chkdsk h: /r /f /x

Good luck.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
even due to this problem all apps on phone & memory gone to other in storage sense
if I format memory card & hard reset the phone then this problem will be gone?

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I get this all the time. I just ignore it. It causes no problems. Although formatting the card did temporarily fix the problem for me but it came back

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
now I format memory card & I am not getting any problem, but due to this battery sense app is not opening at all,
so now factory reset of phone including of memory card options(with hard reset SD card erase options came)
hope for best
I get this all the time. I just ignore it. It causes no problems. Although formatting the card did temporarily fix the problem for me but it came back

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as you've already taken the nuclear option, I'll wait and see what you report.

If you use an SD card that is class 6 or higher, and if you don't ever improperly remove the SD card, you shouldn't have any issues.

If I were you I'd still run chkdsk on the SD card, and I'd do that before inserting the SD card into the device and doing a hard reset. If that doesn't work then your SD card is broken. Although I doubt it, you might also have the write lock on the SD card set to "write protected".

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as you've already taken the nuclear option, I'll wait and see what you report.

If you use an SD card that is class 6 or higher, and if you don't ever improperly remove the SD card, you shouldn't have any issues.

If I were you I'd still run chkdsk on the SD card, and I'd do that before inserting the SD card into the device and doing a hard reset. If that doesn't work then your SD card is broken. Although I doubt it, you might also have the write lock on the SD card set to "write protected".

Yup I format memory card & hard reset phone too, hope for best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786