Where do we go from here?

N Stanfield Roberts

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I, like many people have talked about recently, got a Lumia 920 in november a couple of years ago, and now my contract is about to end..! I keep reading this over and over again in the comments and in the forums but I thought I'd make a specific thread for it..

The 920 has been a great phone for me, does everything I need it to do! The wireless charging has been amazing and the OS has got better and better (in my opinion) with recent updates. I just can't see any phone that's out there at the moment as a true upgrade from the 920 (besides the 1520, but that thing is far too big for me) - I've even been considering going back to using an old Nokia E7, just because I miss physical keyboards!

There does seem to be some new phones coming out soon, the HTC One W8 (tomorrow..?), the Lumia 730/830, each have got some interesting perks, better cameras, different designs, etc. I just don't feel like there's any really interesting options out there at the moment, what does everyone else think?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same position. I'm indifferent to the physical keyboard thing but at this stage I don't see anything out that makes me go, oh, I want that!

That goes for all platforms. I'm even considering changing simply because there's nothing out that tickles my fancy with WP.

However, I'm in no hurry. I'm waiting until the new year so there's lots of time for phones to come out. Saying that, MS/Nokia are not known for their quick releases and then you need to wait a couple of months for the bugs to be sorted.

There are many of us in the same position. Some can't even get the L930 because it's not released there. I'm not in that position but I don't want the L930.

Last edited:

N Stanfield Roberts

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I do like the look of the HTC (a friend had the android M7 and that was a pretty nice phone!), but I have no idea when/if it'll be released in the UK, all the talk of carrier exclusives always seems to be US only!

Having to 'wait and see' at the moment is making me consider all of the other options out there, not gonna abandon Windows in a hurry though, I like their phones! Just not any of the recent ones..

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya. Love my 920, but my contact is up in November and at this point I have no idea what's next. WP keeps getting better but I have yet to see a device that I find very exciting as a replacement and upgrade- and i very much want better hardware. The 1520 is closest because it kind of improves on everything but it's just too big. Even if they shrank it to 5" I'm not sure if get it.

I really want to see some kind of innovation; something that allows for new kinds of experiences. Lumia 1020 redefined mobile photography (but damn it is slow; they could learn a thing or two from the iPhone 5s camera). Fingerprint scanner on the iPhone is fantastic; no more pin to unlock, and huge potential once merchants and apps tie into it. Moto X coprocessor system architecture was cool for two reasons: always ready microphone for true hands-free voice activation; motion awareness to understand usage context (e.g. driving vs. sitting at work vs. riding a bike).

I wasn't super excited by the rumored Maclaren phone, but I did welcome some kind of innovation. Maybe I have to wait until 2015?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't super excited by the rumored Maclaren phone, but I did welcome some kind of innovation. Maybe I have to wait until 2015?

For those of us waiting for a new flagship (preferably one that's worthwhile) that seems to be the plan. Then again, not to be a pain, but waiting is something us on WP is sort of used to. :p

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
In general. I've seen nothing in WP that's been 'quick', more equivalent to a drag through the mud in hopes of getting to the other side.
I expect that WP development will seem to speed up after Threshold releases.

Who knows? I've been wrong about nearly every prediction I made thus far.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I expect that WP development will seem to speed up after Threshold releases.

Who knows? I've been wrong about nearly every prediction I made thus far.

We can only hope. A lot depends on the consumer if you ask me. At this stage WP isn't doing all that great in that particular area.

N Stanfield Roberts

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Patience truly is a virtue when considering Windows Phone! However with Microsofts recent restructuring I do think things will speed up....In 2015. Will just have to hang on in there!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, why don't you want the 930?

Simple list -

- 6 month old technology
- Doesn't have anything 'new' about it
- Seems to have similar issues to other WPs - battery life, getting too hot, etc.
- No glance (though not a deal breaker)
- No SD card slot (again not a deal breaker)
- OK design but nothing outstanding - looks similar to other phones from other OEMs
- Price was too high

I'm not saying it's not good, just not what I want. It seems like an average phone. Nothing special about it.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Simple list -

- 6 month old technology
- Doesn't have anything 'new' about it
- Seems to have similar issues to other WPs - battery life, getting too hot, etc.
- No glance (though not a deal breaker)
- No SD card slot (again not a deal breaker)
- OK design but nothing outstanding - looks similar to other phones from other OEMs
- Price was too high

I'm not saying it's not good, just not what I want. It seems like an average phone. Nothing special about it.

These were exactly my thoughts just a couple weeks back, I was also still using the 920 and my contract ends early 2015 so just like you I was getting a little nervous because there's no real flagship on the horizon and I found the 930 to be disappointing.

However, my mom was eligible for an upgrade even though she doesn't give two ships about which phone she uses. Basically I was thinking, I would never spend my own upgrade on the 930 but getting it for free changes everything, even though the 930 is so unimpressive it's still a nice upgrade over the 920 when you think about it. The screen is miles better, the camera is better and everything is a little snappier.

So basically I got a free 930 and I still have my own upgrade coming up in a couple months. Now I have two options, either I upgrade to a new flagship (if one gets released) or I upgrade to sim-only essentially cutting in half my bills and doubling my data allowance while keeping the 930! Currently I'm leaning towards the latter but I will have to wait and see how great the next flagship will be.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
These were exactly my thoughts just a couple weeks back, I was also still using the 920 and my contract ends early 2015 so just like you I was getting a little nervous because there's no real flagship on the horizon and I found the 930 to be disappointing.

However, my mom was eligible for an upgrade even though she doesn't give two ships about which phone she uses. Basically I was thinking, I would never spend my own upgrade on the 930 but getting it for free changes everything, even though the 930 is so unimpressive it's still a nice upgrade over the 920 when you think about it. The screen is miles better, the camera is better and everything is a little snappier.

So basically I got a free 930 and I still have my own upgrade coming up in a couple months. Now I have two options, either I upgrade to a new flagship (if one gets released) or I upgrade to sim-only essentially cutting in half my bills and doubling my data allowance while keeping the 930! Currently I'm leaning towards the latter but I will have to wait and see how great the next flagship will be.

I'm sure people will be happy with the L930. I don't do contract so it's not worth the risk to me on the whole. Is it better than the L920? Sure. Enough for me to want to get it? No.

I'm not really nervous about waiting. As stated I'm in no hurry since I own my phone. If I get stuck in a position where there's no phone I want and I can't update I'll just change platforms. It's not the end of the world to me really. All the MS services I use are on Android and regardless of people's opinions on Android I still think it's a worthy OS to look into. Thing is at this stage there's nothing on that platform I'm interested in either. So I wait.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Like you guys, my contract is up around November and my plan B was to get a cheaper contract + phone, then reflash it with a CV Rom (currently on a ?20 a sim only plan - which apparently will go up to ?30 according to several O2 CR's on renewal date :grincry: really getting miffed with O2, after years of amazing customer service.. they pull this crap?).

Otherwise I will need to deep into my SP3 Savings pot lol. However given the lack of high end devices, I have opted to wait until next year, my 920 is still going strong.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I got the Lumia 920 when it was released. With a few exceptions I've been extremely happy with the phone. I've been happy enough that I'd probably jump to the 930. Unfortunately, the 930 is not available on AT&T and so far there's no news at all that it's coming.

Although, the thing that has frustrated me most, by far, with Windows Phone ownership has been the frustrating pace of updates. Again, I know it's not really Microsoft's fault as they don't have the kind of clout Apple enjoys to demand same day launch for everybody. Still, it would be nice to see attempts made to decouple the carriers from the update process.

There's that and this pervasive sense that there isn't a consistent vision for the future of Windows Phone. Retail still sucks; good luck finding Windows Phone devices outside of the Microsoft store. It's kind of ridiculous that MS pays for product placement but doesn't pay to guarantee shelf space in stores.

Still, like I said, if the 930 came to AT&T this year or early next year I'll likely stick around. Otherwise I might start looking elsewhere, an iPhone being the most likely contender.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs