[MOD] Internal Qi Wireless Charging

powercamg4

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all!
If your like me and own a 1020 I have to say that the 1020's wireless charger case is kind of unneeded. Coming from the Verizon Lumia 928 and having already bought 2 chargers I have already got to love wireless charging, but I just hate having another case on the device to just do it. When looking at the inside of the case you may notice that there is a "sticker" covering the whole inside. Now if you were to stick a x-acto in there and GENTLY pry the sticker away you will see this inside.
WP_20140818_20_32_00_Raw.jpgWP_20140818_20_34_40_Raw.jpg
As you can tell the only thing inside there is the coil, there is no electronic components at all. So why no try to fit it inside the device?

How to disassemble the 1020
Nokia guide for disassembling the 1020
(might I say, this device is very easy to service) here is a pic of the inside and the amazing camera.
DSC02558.jpgDSC02560.jpg

So to do what I did, you need to remove everything till you get to just the raw magnesium and ploycarb chassis. Remove the flex cable at the bottom that is used for the back cover CAREFULY.

1) From the cover remove the coil and the connector
2) De-solder the coil from the connector.
3) Solder the coil to the metal pins and you should get something like this.
DSC02569.jpgDSC02571.jpg
Now I did a dirty deed and cut some the magnesium housing to help the charging. You may not have to.
4) Place the coil and the flex back into the device
DSC02572.jpg

Now it *should* start charging. This was not a 10 min adventure, this was a 4+ hour job to get it right! If it does not work the first time you may need to try it at a angle (not as shown bellow, that way really didn't work to well.
DSC02573.jpg

Issues:
Due to the gigantic camera in the 1020 this causes the device to be at angle this could be why it is hard to get a good connection to the charger. Which is why Nokia did not include it onboard (IMO why did Nokia not just put a larger battery, include wireless charging and make the phone thicker).

If you think I should edit something, please leave a comment

UPDATE: So it doesn't seem to want to charge on my Nokia wireless charger but it works on my Lugalake power bank just fine. I would say redesigning a coil with thicker winding and larger size is the best. Time to go look trough the 1000 page documentation from Qi....

Last edited:

Per Ekelund1

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Great work! I am about to embark upon the same journey. Do you think it will work with the DT-901 charger from Nokia?

Edit: What screwdriver was used for the SIM-screw and inside?

Thanks

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the statement about putting in a bigger battery to remove the bump. MASSIVE oversight by Nokia. Imagine a 1020max version with 2.5-3x more battery that weighs a tad more. The market it appeals to would buy it. All those features plus an all day and then some battery, damn....

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

That is an amazing picture. Wonder what the camera feels like to be on the other side of the shot ;)

Good Work tinkering about. How did it go? Like you said the angle causes the problem. I don't know much about the wireless charging but does the phone have to be parallel to the charging plate or can it be perpendicular! Can a spacer around the charging plate help rest the camera lens on it which would reduce the angle and increase contact area between the plate and phone's back cover?

yipsan

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Powercamg4, I want to ask what output is your Lugalake power bank? The nokia charger's output is quite low and I wonder if that is the problem. Cheers,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes