Icon - Still Top Windows Phone for Verizon

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I thought the new HTC might take honors as the top Windows Phone for Verizon but the Icon still tops it if you ask me. The camera is important to me and the Icon's camera smokes it. It's great to have choices though - the more the merrier...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your needs...If you take a lot of pictures, yea, the ICON will beat it out in most cases (day shots might be close).

If you travel a lot, say for work or run a lot and like to take a lot of apps, music and videos with you, the HTC would be the better choice. The big thing is front speakers (if you have a phone like the ICON that has speakers in the rear, you know what I am talking about), it has MicroSD support for up to 128gb of music, movies, apps, etc. This is EXTRA over the 32gb, as the ICON has a MAX of 32gb.

The ICON would of been the PERFECT phone with expandability but, seems Nokia has a problem with MicroSD on high end phones (not including the International version of the 1520)

The HTC has the newer CPU as well(possible faster and better battery life), so as there are a lot of flaws with the HTC (no physical buttons, no camera button, looks the same as the Android M8 version), it's still a great device and depending on your needs, it might be the better choice over the ICON...

Like I said, it's all about your needs....at least Verizon users have a choice now...Not like AT&T users have always had....

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah both have their strengths. For me the camera is more important than expandability. Speakers don't matter,I never play music without my Bluetooth headphones.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget about the 4 mics and surround sound recording on the Icon. Took some concert video and it was like it was professionally done. Camera and Audio rock on the Icon.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The HTC One M8 is a great looking phone, but being so much thinner than the Icon, I wonder what battery life will be like?

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One M8 is a great looking phone, but being so much thinner than the Icon, I wonder what battery life will be like?
well it has a larger capacity battery and a newer processor so my first thought would be that it would be better than the Icon's battery life. The android version has excellent battery life from what i've read. i dont own one so i cant comment from personal experience.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
M8 is definitely the new wp flagship. The only downside to it is the camera, and if you're not blowing them up on a computer, that really isn't much of a downside. Apparently the m8 camera is much much quicker to focus and snap pictures. That far outweighs a small pixel difference if you ask me. All the other m8 advantages only add to the reason to switch. Illite than likely be leaving att to get the new m8, as Verizon hasn't had an offering as of late toakee switch, but this phone just may do it. ATT sucks btw...I've dropped more calls in the last week than I did with verizon in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
ATT sucks btw...I've dropped more calls in the last week than I did with verizon in a year.

Do you drive over the road? Verizon is your carrier!

I have a friend who drives regional, and he's on Sprint. He told me he virtually never has signal issues, but he's mostly on interstates and/or in cities. He does not go west much though. He's mostly within a few hundred miles of the East Coast. I'm guessing if he went west of the Mississippi River he'd have more problems with service.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The amoled screen on the icon is a big plus also. I have seen the super LCD of the M8 and like the amoled much better. Once again to each his own...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you drive over the road? Verizon is your carrier!

I have a friend who drives regional, and he's on Sprint. He told me he virtually never has signal issues, but he's mostly on interstates and/or in cities. He does not go west much though. He's mostly within a few hundred miles of the East Coast. I'm guessing if he went west of the Mississippi River he'd have more problems with service.

I was OTR for a while, but just took a dedicated position (Chester va to Carlisle pa and back every day) because the wife is preggo. I was with Verizon when I was OTR for obvious reasons, but figured I didn't need them anymore running the same route every day. Their map shows strong service in my running area, but not so much. Back to verizon I go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the 928 for a year before I got the Icon and its screen was burning in. This is why I hate OLED and would never buy one if I get the option. I will never buy an OLED TV for this reason. If there was a Icon OLED and an Icon LCD, I would take the LCD in a heartbeat. True out of the box the OLED looks better, but its buy such a small margin that its just not worth the long term damage.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a HTC One today and I'm pretty impressed. I will alternate between that and my Icon going forward but I must say that I love the feel of the One in my hand and pocket.

The speed of the camera so far offsets the loss of megapixels for me since most of my shots are just quick snapshots. I really miss the Qi charging when I'm at home or in the office.

The onscreen navigation buttons take some getting used to as well.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Got my icon a few days ago. Then I heard about the HTC and thought "aww man!" and thought about returning the icon. Then i saw the on-screen nav buttons and had no wireless charging. Bleh. Sticking with the icon.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've watched about 6 reviews on the HTC One with Windows Phone. The general thing is, if you liked the M8 with Android and was thinking about going to Windows Phone, it would be a no brainer. Your getting the best of HTC hardware with Windows Phone. By the numbers and specs, with the newer CPU, it should have a better battery life then the ICON/930 and M8's Expandability, it would be epic if that is in your needs.

Also, they said the same thing about the camera, if your a Nokia owner, you have been spoiled by great cameras as the M8 has a faster camera and takes good pictures over all, it's not even close to the Nokia models (referring to the 930/ICON/1520) for picture or detail quality

You need to balance it out, If a camera is one of your top features, The ICON/930/1520 are the phone you want. If expandability is more important than the camera, the HTC one should be your choice.

Now if we could get a ICON with a 801 chip and MicroSD slot (IR on the M8 would be nice too), there would not be a choice, it would be the ultimate phone for Windows Phone....

So, yea, the ICON is still the better phone for most people.

....Speakers don't matter,I never play music without my Bluetooth headphones.

To each their own, I also use headphones when listing to music or streaming audio, no question. I am referring to the times when you want watch a quick youtube video or something on one of the social networks. With the ICON, in a room that has a little noise or people talking, with out cranking the audio, I have to cup my hands to hear the audio and it's a pain in the a$$... Never mind listening to it on the ICON, your not getting stereo (l/r channels), the "one" will give stereo in this case.

Front speakers would make my life easier on that aspect, I tend to watch a lot of podcasts and videos on my phone and don't always have headphones available.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Well my HTC ONE has lured me away from my icon and I'll be putting the icon up for sale. The ONE has just spoiled me completely and the icon seems like a step down that I just am not interested in going back to.
After looking on the marketplace forums I don't see any icons for sale at all so maybe an excellent used one wont take long to sell. Guess I'll find out. Gonna get some pics up and get it on.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
After using the HTC ONE for the weekend, it will be my primary device at least until Verizon release the Cyan update for the Icon. I forgot what having good Wifi performance was like on a phone.

I am satisfied with the photos that I took as well. I expected to hate them, but for my use, quick snaps uploaded to FB or Twitter, I don't see much difference. In fact for what I use it for, I actually prefer the smaller file sizes. I might change the settings on the Icon to do the same since I don't know that I ever really look at the full resolution images.

Bottom line, for my usage I think they are both pretty much the same. Having an official firmware and software image for WP 8.1 pushes the HTC ONE over the top at least for the time being. It will be interesting to see how updates go in the future. Hopefully both will continue to be updated and I'll have 2 really great phones that I can switch back and forth between.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Can you use all Nokia apps on the HTC?

Well my HTC ONE has lured me away from my icon and I'll be putting the icon up for sale. The ONE has just spoiled me completely and the icon seems like a step down that I just am not interested in going back to.
After looking on the marketplace forums I don't see any icons for sale at all so maybe an excellent used one wont take long to sell. Guess I'll find out. Gonna get some pics up and get it on.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Going by my app list from the store several of the apps(some Nokia) I had on my icon are not compatible on my M8. So I guess the answer is mostly no. Not sure which if any would carry over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786