Main camera doesn't work after WP 8.1 Cyan update in case if front camera is broken

Sushniak

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

My Lumia 920 fails to launch all camera apps after update to WP 8.1 Cyan.
On WP 8.0 main camera works fine, but front camera doesn't work at all.

Is it possible to switch front camera off or there are other solutions for the issue?

My phone has become useless without main camera on WP 8.1, please assist.

Soft/hard resets - no results.

Thank you in advanced.

carlodedonno

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. in April I installed the Preview for Developers, everything worked fine without any problem, until yesterday.
I updated to the latest firmware and my camera isn't working at all, using various app, pushing the camera button, I get only a second of loading screen and the Start menu appears again. Ofc camera was working fine beforehand.

I spent the whole night trying to fix this. I somehow managed to downgrade to WP 8.0 and Lumia Black, camera was working fine, even though I forgot to check the front camera. Then I updated again, hoping for better luck, but no, always the same problem. I think it might be something related to Lumia Cyan, I used to have the Preview for Developers and never had problems with the camera.

What's more, when I try to download any app that uses the camera, I get an error message (in the attachments).

I seriously don't know what to do, I could downgrade, but now I will miss too much the new features introduced by WP 8.1, on the other hand tha camera was one of the main reasons why I bought the Lumia 920. It's ridicolous that I have to go on without it.

UPDATE

I downgraded again, and yes, I have got the same problem with the front camera. This is bugging me. I doubt that those jackasses at MS will spend some time trying to fix a bug that, after all, has affected just a few users.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140822_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0001.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20140822_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0002.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20140822_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0003.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20140822_0004.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0004.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 10

adi xyz

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

I have the same problem here. Back camera will only work on WP Black, front camera won't work at all. Unfortunately, on Cyan won't work none of the cameras, even though i've tried the official update and the Developer Preview.
If you've got any solutions to this, please let me know :).

Thanks

RevoMikey101

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
This is an easy one. I had this too. Go to applications at the side of settings. Go to camera settings and change the default camera to Microsoft instead of Nokia. The Nokia one doesn't work but the ms one does. 😊

carlodedonno

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Daniel Rubino is experiencing the same problem on a HTC One. It's not about Lumia Cyan, it's something about WP 8.1
Hopefully he'll find a solution.

wilan

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I got exactly the same problem as described on this thread. Main camera working fine until I updated to Cyan yesterday. Camera isn't working now. Tried the resets, nothing, change the camera app, nothing. So frustrating.

Apoorvdec

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
same here .. my front cam was broken when i was on Lumia black but the back one worked just right ... after i updated too Wp8.1 DP both camera stopped working .. i think if i get my front camera repaired and the flash the firmware again everything will be normal ... i think i wp8.1 drivers of front and back camera are somehow linked and in wp8 they are separated !

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This happened on my 620 when i got the second 8.1 dp update. Forever beta. Yeah you could say its beta software but its happening on official software too.

simplyingenious

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried numerous soft resets, re-installation using nokia software recovery tool, resetting the camera, draining out the battery etc. Camera kept crashing. All those apps crashed which require camera were crashing. I was running windows phone 8.1 update developers preview on Lumia Cyan firmware

What worked for me?
  • Downgraded to windows phone 8.
  • Setup the phone and launched the camera, Black screen. Camera shutter remained opened. Camera apps were still crashing.
  • Performed a hardware reset using the following method:
    1. Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
    2. When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
    3. Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)
  • Completed the phone setup and launched Nokia Camera app. Camera Working Again :smile:

Now that I know that camera is working again. I re-flashed WP8.1 Lumia Cyan firmware and did a hardware reset using the same method as stated above. Camera is back in working condition.

I think flashing back to WP8 wasn't necessary. Re-flashing WP8.1 Lumia Cyan and performing the hardware reset might have done the trick. Anyways, try this out and let us know here if this works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb