Phone back melting?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've not really had many issues with my 930.
I find the pictures to be good and accurate, I don't find I have any tinting to the screen, and I don't have any light bleed.

With the exception of the very first time I switch the phone on and it spent a while updating, I haven't really had any heat issues either...

However, I was just looking at the back of my phone as I noticed the orange rear casing had 'popped' out, I tried to push it back and it won't budge.
On closer inspection, it looks like the back of the casing has actually warped, in a manner akin to melting.

I'll get onto EE/Nokia about this, but it'll have to wait as I'm off on holiday in a week for a couple of weeks, but in the meanwhile has anyone else noticed anything like this?!

WP_20140822_13_16_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20140822_13_17_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20140822_13_17_56_Pro.jpg

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
ok, EE have said that I can send it to them, but if they decide that it's "damage" rather than a fault, then they'll charge me for it! ...WTF!!!
This phone (as is all my stuff) is pristine, never been dropped etc
to be fair, the chap at EE said if it was him, he wouldn't send it to them (EE), he'd go to Nokia instead too.

So now on hold waiting to get through to Nokia, lets see what they say!.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Whoa... honestly, having owned about four Nokia Windows Phones and two Samsung WPs, Nokia really hasn't mastered heat dispersion within the phone itself.

Nokia is usually known for their great support, see what they say and let us know, I'm actually curious as to what they think.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, that didn't go too well... time for me to take it to twitter! lol

Nokia said I need to take it to a care centre (that's fine).... the nearest care centre to me is 30 miles (each way) away (not so fine).
So option 2: Request a repair online (and print a pre-paid UPS postage label), however the only option which matches would be "physical damage" - and this automatically brings a charge with it.
So, option 3, take it to an EE store for them to assess it - which really is now my only option. :(

Pretty disappointed tbh.

ETA... their social media team is a bit more on the ball... took 6 minutes to reply!

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Stuff like this also worries me about my Nexus 5, as it tends to heat up considerably as well during heavy tasks.

I've never heard anyone with a Lumia 930 experience this issue, however some people have reported that their Samsung Galaxy S5's back we're warped by heat.

I really hope you can get it fixed/replaced.

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
That sucks, but it clearly looks like heat damage as opposed to a bang,
Id take the option 1, If u bring it to EE they will prob send it to nokia anyway, at least if u bring it to them yourself u will be able to explain the heat issues etc,
Hope all works out for U,

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Also, I remember an article being posted saying that you can replace the back cover, as if you want to switch colors or something, on your own. That may be a last option if you don't want to go through the hastle.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Also, I remember an article being posted saying that you can replace the back cover, as if you want to switch colors or something, on your own. That may be a last option if you don't want to go through the hastle.

I would highly advise against this because there could be a serious problem with heat management in his device for which he could claim warranty. However if he messes with it, warranty will be voided.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Precisely, I probably should've mentioned that. Use as a last resort only. Alternatively, talk to nokia and see if this is considered voiding warranty.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
You should demand for a new phone and at no cost, this is customer rights, don't let them charge you, tell them you are not paying for something you didnt do. I'm not saying make a scene but be a very pissed but calm person, usually that would freak them out a bit.

Syd90

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi I had this same issue (infact the same place as your fone) so i took it to nokia store they told me that there are clippers all over in the cover and the plastic is slightly bigger than the metal band around the phone, meaning if the clip becomes loose the plastic comes out looking like it is heated from below, i gave the phone to the nokia store and she told me she will get it fixed or replaced in 30 mins, i went to a fast food rest. nearby i got an email to pick up my phone in 25minutes and came back and got my 930, it looks good as new i cannot find the fault anymore.

Syd90

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
At first I was worried that my battery expanded or that my phone melted but the nokia staff assured me that wasn't the case, she had a suction type thing which she put on the cover and pulled it of to inspect before giving me the time required for repair or replacement I could see everything was fine, so no I Don't think your phone did melt and i don't advise you to remove the case since I don't think you will be able to correctly fix the case back on as the clips holding the case looked really fragile and for one time opening.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up a white 930 today (my third unit) since I have had display issues with the first two. Luckily this third one is alright. Though I have the same thing as you have on this unit but not as much. But I can see it and it is at the exact same spot. So I guess it's some kind of area of weakness somehow when assembling them. Won't bother going in with mine though.

So we can rule out heating issues as cause since it was like this from the factory.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had similar issues, but on the bottom left corner. I removed the cover, I was too curious and if it hadn't worked, I'd have replaced it.
Btt, you might try to push the cover in in the middle between the power and the camera button, that's where the next clip sits.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas guys - interesting about the clips - but the back is rock solid.... First thing I did was try to squeeze it closed, or indeed see if there is any movement.
In fact on the direct opposite side I can see a 'wavy-ness' in the cover, though instead of raising like this side, it has 'sunk' in 2 places.

I think Nokia are on a bank-holiday weekend, so I'm expecting a 'next steps' call from them tomorrow.
Annoying though, as I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks next Saturday!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro