Wife just dropped her brand new (< 2 weeks) 1520 and broke the glass, what are my options?

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my wife to switch from her iPhone to a 1520. We are one day shy of the end of AT&T's return period. This afternoon she dropped it literally a few inches onto the bathroom floor and broke the glass. I had not yet been able to get her a case and now she is terribly unhappy with me. Neither had we signed up for the insurance yet, had a month to decide. Realistically, what are my possible options.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
re: Wife just dropped her brand new (< 2 weeks) 1520 and broke the glass, what are my options?

Could you not sign up for insurance leave it a week then make a claim? You could always send to Nokia to replace but I'm sure a fee will be involved or find somewhere in the high street that does it but I'm guessing that's going to be quite hard to find and probably wont be a decent screen anyways

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
re: Wife just dropped her brand new (< 2 weeks) 1520 and broke the glass, what are my options?

I've considered that. Of course the insurance is still a $200 deductible and you end up with a refurbished device but that's what I will probably do if it comes down to it. Another thing I've considered is just swapping her screen with mine and I will deal with it. It's not a bad crack, just a single line across the screen, it's just right in the middle.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I've considered that. Of course the insurance is still a $200 deductible and you end up with a refurbished device but that's what I will probably do if it comes down to it. Another thing I've considered is just swapping her screen with mine and I will deal with it. It's not a bad crack, just a single line across the screen, it's just right in the middle.

Is there a particular reason why you want to swap the screens and not just the whole phone (and swap SIMS and backup & restore)? Is it because of the color of the phone? I wouldn't recommend trying to swap screens. For one, you risk voided the warranty on a perfectly good phone if something goes wrong. Second, you could potentially make the cracked screen worse when you remove it and try to install it on the other phone.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

son dropped his 1020. killed the screen and digitizer.
had phone replaced via insurance,
replacement is a new in box 1520
most likely, you'd get same.
at&t doesn't really sell enough of them to have refurbs.
tho, you could ask that it be new in box.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

You know the screen is not a straight forward process right? For starters you need a heat gun to warm the glue to lift the screen. And the screen is glued to the digitizer. I personally wouldn't risk it without the correct equipment. It will only get worse

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

son dropped his 1020. killed the screen and digitizer.
had phone replaced via insurance,
replacement is a new in box 1520
most likely, you'd get same.
at&t doesn't really sell enough of them to have refurbs.
tho, you could ask that it be new in box.

Well that's good to know. Although I though Asurion usually bought refurbs for the purpose of using them as replacements. Still, good to know that that's a possibility.

Is there a particular reason why you want to swap the screens and not just the whole phone (and swap SIMS and backup & restore)? Is it because of the color of the phone?

Yeah, it's the color of the phone. I have the new green one that I waited months for, she didn't want green, she wanted black.

You know the screen is not a straight forward process right? For starters you need a heat gun to warm the glue to lift the screen. And the screen is glued to the digitizer. I personally wouldn't risk it without the correct equipment. It will only get worse

I planned to swap the entire LCD+digitizer+glass assembly. But thanks for the warnings, guys. I will keep that in mind when deciding.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Screen replacement will probably go for ~~ $200 (same as insurance deductible).

Find a good repair shop & have her screen replaced (this'll probably take about a week to get the part, but replacement of the complete screen / LCD / digitizer is straightforward) & get a case, the phone is a slippery bugger.

Just to assess the complexity - Google "Lumia 1520 Service Manual" ... part can be had for ~~ $175.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I'd get insurance and a case for that. Like what MDK22 said, the phone is slippery. I'm still waiting for my case and I'm being extra careful with my phone

Devhammer

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Screen replacement will probably go for ~~ $200 (same as insurance deductible).

Find a good repair shop & have her screen replaced (this'll probably take about a week to get the part, but replacement of the complete screen / LCD / digitizer is straightforward) & get a case, the phone is a slippery bugger.

Just to assess the complexity - Google "Lumia 1520 Service Manual" ... part can be had for ~~ $175.

+1 on the slipperiness. Lost mine out of my shirt pocket, and smashed on the asphalt. Will probably send to Palco (do a Bing/Google search, as I can't post links yet). Estimate was $219 including return shipping, and I've seen several folks here say they had good results from them.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

how about claiming on your home & content insurance as your phone will be covered under that,

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I dropped my AT&T 1520 while hiking. Screen was extremely shattered...I didn't feel like mucking around with heat guns and bonded screens, so I just liquidated it on eBay for $160 and bought a 1520.3.

Devhammer

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Sent my busted 1520 to Palco in Huntsville, AL, and got it back today. They turned it around in a little over a week, and apart from the AT&T logo on the replacement screen assembly (apparently those are the only ones they have), it looks great.

Still in the process of recovering backup and apps, but very pleased with the service from Palco (though I hope I never need them again :wink:). If you have a Lumia with a busted screen (they do other brands, too), it may be worth checking them out.

Also got the Amzer Double Layer case. Really hate to cover up the yellow body, especially since I specifically ordered that to be a little eye-catching, but not taking chances with the screen again.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Sent my busted 1520 to Palco in Huntsville, AL, and got it back today. They turned it around in a little over a week, and apart from the AT&T logo on the replacement screen assembly (apparently those are the only ones they have), it looks great.

Still in the process of recovering backup and apps, but very pleased with the service from Palco (though I hope I never need them again :wink:). If you have a Lumia with a busted screen (they do other brands, too), it may be worth checking them out.

Also got the Amzer Double Layer case. Really hate to cover up the yellow body, especially since I specifically ordered that to be a little eye-catching, but not taking chances with the screen again.

I also shattered my screen and sent it to Palco for repair on Tuesday 9/2; received it back today 9/12. They did a fantastic job for $219 (plus the $30 for me to ship it insured to them). However, I think they replaced my phone entirely or replaced the back cover as well. There were a few scratches on the back camera glass and two corners were slightly mis-shapen from the impact. The hardware buttons, sim tray and micro-sd card trays are also all new. THe IMEI on the sim tray is different, but when viewing the IMEI through the phone settings, it matches my records, as well as all settings on my phone being exactly as they were before sending it out to them. All in all, I am happy to have my phone back in working condition.
photo 1.jpg

image.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6