Integration with my car Bluetooth is amazing!

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I have my 635 connected to my Bluetooth in my car.

Previously with my Android phone, if I was using voice navigation in the phone it would play through Bluetooth audio (in Waze there was an option to use the tiny speaker in the phone for voice navigation). That meant that as long as I was listening to audio in my car through Bluetooth I could hear the audio. If I was listening to the radio, a CD, a USB Drive, Sat radio, etc, I would hear no navigation.

With my 635 (and all Windows 8 phones?) the audio from navigation is played through the phone connection to my car stereo. That means no matter what I'm listening to I always hear the navigation. This is king - I don't think even iPhones do this.

Furthermore, the 635 asks me if I want to read or ignore texts when they come in. Then if I want I can respond by text through voice just by talking! Is this Cortana doing this? Whatever it is, it's so much better voice integration with the Bluetooth in my car than I ever expected. I can't wait till the new update gets general release, from what I understand it has a "Call Cortana" feature that would allow me to call Cortana from the Bluetooth phone in my car and give her instructions. Imagine hitting a call button and saying "Cortana, navigate me to Lost Rhino Brewing Company in Ashburn, Virginia" and having navigation start and start voice navigating me. No matter what is on the car radio.

travislicious

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree, Windows Phones in the car are generally good and feature packed. However there are some quirks I have learned from my use with it.

Using your voice to reply to texts will not include punctuation. You could in theory say one sentence at a time and then "add more" to start a new sentence, but that is cumbersome. I also haven't proven this next one, but I'm pretty sure my bluetooth volume keeps reverting to 15/30, which I really do need it at 30/30 to hear it in my car. Not necessarily a phone problem, but its unfortunate to have to keep adjusting the volume

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I also really enjoy the Cortana integration via bluetooth. I was shocked the first time it happened and the ease of replying and receiving texts.

I havent figured out how to bring her up though without physically pressing a button but I thought I remember seeing a video on how to add her as a contact and bring her up hands free that way within certain vehicles.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can add her as 555-555-9876 and then dial her through your radio's dialing directory or speed dial.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the things that has stood out since the Windows Phone 7 days and for some reason Microsoft never promotes it. The SMS to speech over bluetooth is a fantastic feature and the new "call Cortana" feature of 8.1.1 is even better.

ChadGW

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Dialing 555-555-9876 isn't working for me. I have a 2007 Nissan Altima. I'm on version 8.10.12393.890. Do you need GDR1 for this? Calling this phone number just attempted to dial and then failed. However, if I activate Cortana via the phone, then my car shows "Calling" and Cortana speaks.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Dialing 555-555-9876 isn't working for me. I have a 2007 Nissan Altima. I'm on version 8.10.12393.890. Do you need GDR1 for this? Calling this phone number just attempted to dial and then failed. However, if I activate Cortana via the phone, then my car shows "Calling" and Cortana speaks.

Yes, this only works in GDR1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo