What uses more battery - wifi or mobile data

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm talking about when you're not actually using the internet, but you leave either wifi or mobile data on all the time. Which would use more power?

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
IMO that would be WIFI, If I'm correct, the mobile data connection will - when disconnected - not reconnect unless it is needed by an app.
WIFI will continuesly send packets to the access point and try to reconnect when disconnected...

If somebody disagrees, pls let me know.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Our devices are very "talkative", even when we aren't using the internet, and they might "talk" more or less depending on which network they are connected to.

Assuming the device transmits the same amount of data, irrespective of network, using WiFi instead of cellular is always the option that uses less power.

However, WP is smart enough to prioritize WiFi all by itself, so micromanaging cellular network on/off states yourself is pointless.

IMO that would be WIFI, If I'm correct, the mobile data connection will - when disconnected - not reconnect unless it is needed by an app.
WIFI will continuesly send packets to the access point and try to reconnect when disconnected...

If somebody disagrees, pls let me know.

?raises hand? ;-)

Your phone can also be woken up remotely, over the cellular network, not just by apps. For example, you can turn WiFi off, and your sleeping device will still get notifications over cellular data.

On a side note: a lot of people think that when not using their device, turning WiFi off saves battery power, but tests have shown this to be incorrect. Turning WiFi on, by itself, doesn't do anything really. The device just sits their waiting for WiFi access points to broadcast their ID, which is essentially free in terms of power consumption.

Apps can make this a bit confusing however, as some apps will only do their thing over a WiFi network and do nothing when WiFi isn't available. Some folks don't realize they have such apps and then claim that turning WiFi on uses a lot if battery power, not realizing that the only thing they've really turned 'on' is that WiFi enabled app.

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Apps can make this a bit confusing however, as some apps will only do their thing over a WiFi network and do nothing when WiFi isn't available. Some folks don't realize they have such apps and then claim that turning WiFi on uses a lot if battery power, not realizing that the only thing they've really turned 'on' is that WiFi enabled app.

Which apps will use a lot of power when wifi is enabled?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Which apps will use a lot of power when wifi is enabled?

Any app with a background agent is a potential candidate. There are thousands of them, and any app update can change said app's background processing behaviour and influence power draw.

If you really want to know, you'll have to do your own monitoring using Data Sense, but this isn't yet as informative as it could/should be for such purposes. Judging what percentage of power draw wouldn't have occurred if an app hadn't had access to WiFi is very cumbersome, at best.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ill go for WhatsApp. On data or/and wifi When Using it consumes alot of power

WhatsApp just does a lot in the background, whether WiFi is enabled or not, but as I understand it, that isn't the question.

IMHO the question was which apps do notably more processing/transmitting, when WiFi is available, as opposed to when it isn't.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
I don't know much about this, though from the little I have read, I think data uses more battery. The phone is constantly searching for radio signals and that can eat up battery. WiFi not so much.

Previously, I used to use Data when out and about and switch off WiFi. Recently, I keep both enabled seeing as in London, most train stations / underground stations have free WiFi. I work in a hospital in central London, where I have free WiFi, and also even bus stops have it. I sign in in the morning and whenever in range, the Wifi automatically connects. Windows phone prioritises WiFi when both are available and on. I have noticed much better battery life doing it this way.

:)

Rudd van Deventer

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where this get us. My 920's battery life has dropped to an unacceptable level since Cyan and 8.1 updates. I uninstalled and re-installed WhatsApp as it appeared to be the villain. There has been no improvement. The phone no longer lasts a full day!

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where this get us. My 920's battery life has dropped to an unacceptable level since Cyan and 8.1 updates. I uninstalled and re-installed WhatsApp as it appeared to be the villain. There has been no improvement. The phone no longer lasts a full day!

I'm finding this too. I'm wondering if a hard reset would fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven