Lumia 830 or Bust

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Really hoping for something special from the 830 in the UK. I'm ready for a new device and there isn't anything to choose from apart from the 930 (currently have 925) which I seem to read mostly comments about people having faults with.
Used to have an 800 and the only real difference between it and the 900 was screen size, hoping (maybe wishfully) for the same again.
Same specs as 930 but smaller screen, 4.5"ish would be ideal. Perhaps throw in SD support, would probably be ok with a 720 screen though.
Na, 830 should be exactly same spec as 930 but smaller screen and the SD then I'm definitely buying.
Otherwise the upcoming iPhone 6 maybe a bit too tempting (if my bank manager allows it)

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So you want a "tiny" monster? That's not going to happen.
Even the iPhone 6 will be close to 5" lol. I doubt 0.3" make such a big difference.

Even though I would recommend you the 730 since it's supposed to have a smaller screen. AFAIK the 830 will be similar to 930, but more likely as a midrange device.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I did say I was hoping for, not I'm expecting. The screen size isn't a deal breaker, again just my preference. The iphone is probably a 4.7" which yes as you state isn't much less than 5" but it's still closer to 4.5". So your lol is a little patronising.
Also I haven't asked at all for recommendations as I'm perfectly fine with choosing my own mobile based on what I like.
So thanks for telling me I'm wrong, throwing in a lol, giving me not needed advice and generally not reading my comment.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
i too have a Lumia 925 and want to upgrade to 830 ;)
looks like the 830 will be a little taller than the 930, like a nexus 5. It should have 5'' display but i hope it will be light (150g max).

In my case i will buy it only if it will have a good camera (20mpx pureview or more) and if there are no crappy surprises, like no glance or no dedicated camera button :)

​Can't wait for 4 september!

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I got a feeling that the camera of the 830 will be different than the ones in the 930 and 1520. The is too much emphasis on it and it seems more like a "1030 - light" than a 820 successor.

Nevertheless i still want the 830 to be smaller than the 930. As Rick_Air said in his original post the differences should be the same as in Lumia 800/900 times. The same device with different screensizes. If the 830 has a 5 inch screen the 720p resolution would be to small for my taste. For 4.5 inch it is perfect though.

A smaller footprint compared to the previous devices would also be pretty neat. It seems that Nokia/MS removed some of the unnecessary bezel at the top and the bottom but only the real device will show if it is true.

Right now the 830 was my "only hope" for a smaller highend/mid-ranger device. But it seems i?m stuck with my "old" device for a long time.

Cheers,
​Tom

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
i get your pain for always larger devices :(
i was ok with my HTC Mazaa (like the Throphy, 3.8''), but then i bought a 720 (4.3''). I prefered the 3.8, but anyway.. it just *a little* bigger right?
after a while i bought a lumia 925 (4.7'') and i still prefered the 4.3 instead, but anyway.. it just *a little* bigger right?
now lumia 830 (5.0'').. wtf? bigger, again? i want my 3.8'' back!

.. but probably i will buy lumia 830 even if i don't like the screen size :(

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
In my case i will buy it only if it will have a good camera (20mpx pureview or more) and if there are no crappy surprises, like no glance or no dedicated camera button :)

Looks like there's a camera button from the leaked shots. I'm crossing my fingers for Glance too though!

If the 830 has a 5 inch screen the 720p resolution would be to small for my taste. For 4.5 inch it is perfect though.

Just for reference:

Lumia 920 = 332 PPI
4.5" at 720p = 329 PPI
iPhone 5 (retina) = 326 PPI
L830 if 5" at 720p = 294 PPI
Lumia 820 = 217 PPI
Lumia 625 = 199 PPI

Granted 199 is very low. But if you look at the range, 294 seems pretty reasonable I think.

It seems that Nokia/MS removed some of the unnecessary bezel at the top and the bottom but only the real device will show if it is true.

Looks that way. Bezels are getting smaller every generation at the moment - have a look back to a Lumia 800/900 now. Looks a bit odd. I guess you can only go so far with that though.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
i get your pain for always larger devices :(
i was ok with my HTC Mazaa (like the Throphy, 3.8''), but then i bought a 720 (4.3''). I prefered the 3.8, but anyway.. it just *a little* bigger right?
after a while i bought a lumia 925 (4.7'') and i still prefered the 4.3 instead, but anyway.. it just *a little* bigger right?
now lumia 830 (5.0'').. wtf? bigger, again? i want my 3.8'' back!

There's definitely something to this I think. Personally I quite like the idea of going to 5" from my 920 but there's definitely a market for a high-end device with a smaller screen and MS should have an offering to cater to that market. This is the problem with a product range that at any one time consists of just one phablet, one flagship, one upper-midrange etc. There do seem to be slightly more options at the budget end of the spectrum which is to be expected given the volume of these that they sell, but I guess they just don't shift enough of the high end stuff yet to consider it justifiable to do it. It'll come.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
yup, its interesting how this phone seems to take the interest of 92x users, everyone I know with a 920 variant didnt have any interest in the 930, but there all watching the 830, including myself, its strange because I'm not exactly sure what is attracting me to this phone.. maybe its the SD card. all I gotta say is I hope the S800 is correct, though I think even the S400 is an upgrade from my 925 so I'll probably be interested in it regardless!

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
yup, its interesting how this phone seems to take the interest of 92x users, everyone I know with a 920 variant didnt have any interest in the 930, but there all watching the 830, including myself, its strange because I'm not exactly sure what is attracting me to this phone.. maybe its the SD card. all I gotta say is I hope the S800 is correct, though I think even the S400 is an upgrade from my 925 so I'll probably be interested in it regardless!

Glance and ATT, there are no good options from ATT at this point. Right now there are only three phone listed on their site (635, 1520, 1020.) None are a good choice for those of us looking to upgrade our 920s.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
One word: Glance.

Boom.

I actually wish it came in the 930's design (the corners blend in with the overall design more seamlessly), but other than that I'll take the 830's microSD support, exchangeable back and battery, and of course its display thanks to the aforementioned Glance.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I prefer the more rounded corners of the 930 too, but just couldn't give up Glance. Now I'm getting concerned the 830 has some other glaring omission that will rule it out for me. The 400 chipset and top mounted charging port I can live with, but if it hasn't got Qi... I just bought myself a DT-910 dammit! I thought it looked like it had it from those new pics looking at the inside-back cover but someone said that's just NFC. Is the NFC tag that big??

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the more rounded corners of the 930 too, but just couldn't give up Glance. Now I'm getting concerned the 830 some other glaring omission that will rule it out for me. The 400 chipset and top mounted charging port I can live with, but if it hasn't got Qi... I just bought myself a DT-910 dammit! I thought it looked like it had it from those new pics looking at the inside-back cover but someone said that's just NFC. Is the NFC tag that big??

Same line of thinking here... couldn't give up both Glance and LTE (I'm in the U.S.), so the 930 is out for now. It didn't cross my mind that that the 830 might not come with Qi. That would be a very unfortunate and unexpected deal-breaker for me too. Although a SD400 would probably break the deal for me as well coming from a 1520. I already made an investment on a Qi wireless charging stand when I bought my Lumia 920 two years ago, and have enjoyed using it with my 1520 as well.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So rumors went from 20MP to 13MP to 10MP.
Processor went from 801/800 to 600 to 400
Screen was always 720p.

So I ask AGAIN: where is the "high end" in "affordable high end?" an 8MP camera is pretty much standard on everything in the midrange. Is the extra 2MP supposed to change our lives or something?

This phone is starting to look like a disappointment. Other than the general build and design, I'm not really finding this phone very compelling unless it comes in under $300US.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So rumors went from 20MP to 13MP to 10MP.
Processor went from 801/800 to 600 to 400
Screen was always 720p.

So I ask AGAIN: where is the "high end" in "affordable high end?" an 8MP camera is pretty much standard on everything in the midrange. Is the extra 2MP supposed to change our lives or something?

This phone is starting to look like a disappointment. Other than the general build and design, I'm not really finding this phone very compelling unless it comes in under $300US.

I suppose the PureView tech (including OIS, presumably) and 2GB ram are the high end part of the deal. But I'm with you... if this thing only comes with a SD 400 and no Qi, I'll pass, disappointingly.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Im currently just praying, PRAYING and praying that all the rumors are false and it'd have a 20mp or at LEAST a 13mp camera with snapdragon 800 NO less. Come on, a 10mp snapdragon 400 is something i would find in a chinese budget phone for crying out loud! If this is what the 830 is going to be, i think im done with Nokia.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Im currently just praying, PRAYING and praying that all the rumors are false and it'd have a 20mp or at LEAST a 13mp camera with snapdragon 800 NO less. Come on, a 10mp snapdragon 400 is something i would find in a chinese budget phone for crying out loud! If this is what the 830 is going to be, i think im done with Nokia.

I'm actually not too worried about the camera (it's Nokia, the camera will be a beast), but what's confusing to me is that the Lumia 800 and 900 had the same CPU, the Lumia 820 and 920 had the same CPU - why is it rumored that the Lumia 830 doesn't have the same CPU as the Lumia 930?

That's what is throwing me off.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
S400 kinda a weak processor. But I take changable back cover, SD card, and removable battery over non-changable cover, no SD card and integrated battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99