Lumia 830 or Bust

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
While we wait for the announcement on the 830 and it's specs:
Iphone 6 in black (Space Grey, Apple ??? ) looks awesome from a hardware point of view.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank God for that tweet because I was losing hope on this device. I didn't get a 925 too long ago but if this 830 is a compelling upgrade, I will get it. The 930 with lack of Glance and more importantly Tap To Wake feature, and the alleged mediocre battery life kill it for me.

MS/Nokia said they didn't have those features in 930 because a 1080p display with self-panel refresh was too costly. But a 720p screen with 300-something PPI can be had for cheap, if they used it in nearly ALL Lumias of 2012.

S400 is horrible. If it even has a S600 I would be game for it. Honestly - S800 is overkill, even for a flagship. Those chips with their tablet-suited thermal budgets make every phone heat up like it's a frying pan. ARM is doing literally the opposite of what Intel is doing. Intel's strategy is to reduce thermals drastically with a slight hit in performance. ARM is crossing into high power draw (for phones) while not making huge strides in performance. -_- I am very anti-S800 for these reasons. S600, though, was a brilliant chip with acceptable levels of heating. It would be a big step up from the dual-core Kraits we have in 820/920/925/1020.

Just my $0.02

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Honestly - S800 is overkill, even for a flagship. Those chips with their tablet-suited thermal budgets make every phone heat up like it's a frying pan. ARM is doing literally the opposite of what Intel is doing. Intel's strategy is to reduce thermals drastically with a slight hit in performance. ARM is crossing into high power draw (for phones) while not making huge strides in performance. -_- I am very anti-S800 for these reasons. S600, though, was a brilliant chip with acceptable levels of heating. It would be a big step up from the dual-core Kraits we have in 820/920/925/1020.

I agree. However, the S800 has the best IPC rating of the entire Qualcomm line-up. My dream device would include an underclocked/undervolted S80x. Keep the GPU clock as is, but bring the CPU clock down to around 1.6GHz, and we'd still have an extremely fast phone, as each of its cores gets more done per clock than any of its siblings, particularly the pathetic A7 cores in the quad core S400's. At the same time, it would provide excellent battery life without overheating.

That would be awesome, but it's likely too hard to explain and market to the masses. :-/

o_k_boy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank God for that tweet because I was losing hope on this device. I didn't get a 925 too long ago but if this 830 is a compelling upgrade, I will get it. The 930 with lack of Glance and more importantly Tap To Wake feature, and the alleged mediocre battery life kill it for me.
Just so you know, the 930 does have double-tap to wake even though there's no glance.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, I did say in black, the standard silver does in fact look Sh!te. Although a little like the Lumia 925 with the rounded corners and 'antenna' lines. But Sh!te.

It does look better in black, granted. I guess it just isn't my cup of tea as far as overall mobile aesthetics go. It's not the worst out there by any means, but I see the Lumia and Xperia lines as clear leaders, personally.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If they want to use 800, they should have at least used the 801 or 805.

Why? It's still a midrange device. We all want the best possible specs, but if it's going to be a blend of high end AND affordability, then something's gotta give. An SD610 would be a great compromise--although that would likely mean a later release date (December Holidays)

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
... My dream device would include an underclocked/undervolted S80x. ... At the same time, it would provide excellent battery life without overheating.

That would be awesome, but it's likely too hard to explain and market to the masses. :-/

They could still advertise it as a S800 to make the tech geeks drool! :) WP is closed source so I doubt most would even know if they undervolt it. The battery life would be phenomenal on it. 1520 already broke records and to my knowledge it doesn't even underclock/undervolt. To see MS create such a beast is a dream though. :p

Just so you know, the 930 does have double-tap to wake even though there's no glance.

Does it? Well. The more you know. Should have researched a bit on that. Now if only MS would improve the battery life on 930... I mean if it has a little over 70% the size of 1520, it should theoretically have 70% of the runtime of 1520 too, given that they share a chipset and all, and the 1520 has a bigger display to light up. But it came up at half of the 1520 on the GSMA and even NBC reviews, which put me off it. But thanks for letting me know. ^_^

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Umm, can someone dumb it down for me, which is faster, a SD800 or a SD 6XX series with 64bit?
I am guessing but if the apps are designed for 64bit then the 64bit processor should take advantage of the extra bandwidth and run faster.
If not then its usually the chip that runs at the higher frequency that wins the day.
I haven't heard of any 64bit apps yet so you are better off with the SD800 with its higher clock speed.
On top of that I'm not sure which if any windows phone app uses more than 4GB of memory to really warrant 64bit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss