Is it not possible to have the same Microsoft AND Outlook.com account???

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The explanation might be confusing, so I'll try to make it as clear as possible:

The outlook.com account I use on my laptop, is what I've used as my Microsoft account for my phone. But for some reason, I can not make my outlook.com account on my phone that same one as well, because that account is already in use for my Microsoft account.

Basically, I want to have my ******************** 'at' outlook 'dot' come (I still can't post links) be my Microsoft account (where all my backups are saved, and my onedrive is connected to, and everything) AND my 'Outlook.com' account, where my calendar events are, contacts are saved, etc. So I can add things on my laptop, and have it synced to my phone.

If anyone knows what to do, what they've done, or what I can/should do to resolve this problem, that would be great. I just started grad school so I'd like for everything to be accessible from my windows devices at any time. I've got like, 6 or 7 different accounts with school stuff, on top of personal things, so if I could condense it all it would be a big help. Thanks!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello boboy14

Yep, you've got me completely confused. ;-)

What I can say is that there is no such thing as an Outlook.com 'account'. Your Microsoft account provides the login credentials for OneDrive, Outlook.com, Calendar Synching, Windows and Windows Phone backup. Everything. It's all connected to your Microsoft account.

If' you've registered yourself twice, say once while installing Windows 8 and then again while setting up your phone for the first time, then you now have two Microsoft accounts, which makes little sense. At least I can't imagine why you'd want that.

If you can clarify a bit more I'm sure we can help you out.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
View attachment WP 1.pdfView attachment WP 2.pdfView attachment WP 3.pdfView attachment WP 4.pdfView attachment WP 5.pdfView attachment WP 6.pdf
Hello boboy14

Yep, you've got me completely confused. ;-)

What I can say is that there is no such thing as an Outlook.com 'account'. Your Microsoft account provides the login credentials for OneDrive, Outlook.com, Calendar Synching, Windows and Windows Phone backup. Everything. It's all connected to your Microsoft account.

If' you've registered yourself twice, say once while installing Windows 8 and then again while setting up your phone for the first time, then you now have two Microsoft accounts, which makes little sense. At least I can't imagine why you'd want that.

If you can clarify a bit more I'm sure we can help you out.

Haha I figured, so I attached some screenshots that will hopefully better illustrate.

WP 1 Shows the accounts I have synced to my phone.
WP 2 Shows the details of my outlook.com settings. I noticed that the user name is my gmail account, not my outlook.com account. That said, my Microsoft account is my outlook.com account. I want to change it so that my Microsoft account AND my outlook.com account are the same.
WP 3 I deleted my outlook.com account to see if I could re-login with my other, current outlook.com account that I actually use. That way I can use my current outlook.com account to change calendar events, contacts, etc from my laptop, and not have to always have my phone out.

WP 4 This just shows me trying to create another outlook.com account.
WP 5 This always comes up, which is why I'm wondering if there is something I can do about it. I'm wondering if this is because my Microsoft account uses the same email address as the outlook.com account I am trying to add.

WP 6 Shows that my calendar events on my phone are outlook.com events. Somehow I had 2 outlook.com accounts, and I want to get rid of the one and use the one I am currently on.

I hope this makes sense, if not. Maybe I'll just start from scratch haha.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Not only is it possible, it's preferred - NOT sure what your issue is ...

I'd DELETE every account, but the one you signed in with (I assume that's the email account you want to sync). Then see what's up.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Not only is it possible, it's preferred - NOT sure what your issue is ...

I'd DELETE every account, but the one you signed in with (I assume that's the email account you want to sync). Then see what's up.

Good idea, I'll try that tonight or tomorrow when I have a chance.

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
MDK22 is right. Delete all but the Microsoft account on your phone. Your outlook.com e-mail will sync with that. It will also sync your contacts and calendar.

It looks like you have a gmail.com alias set up in outlook.com. This is likely what is allowing you to set up an outlook.com e-mail account in your phone (the third entry in your wp 1 screenshot). You don't need that one. The Microsoft account will check your e-mail, contacts, and calendar automatically. I actually have a similar set up (I have outlook.com checking my gmail.com e-mail). When you set up your phone (or any Windows 8 computer or Xbox), you should use your primary Microsoft account. To manage your aliases and set your primary alias (for logging into your Microsoft account), go here: https://account.live.com/names/Manage.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
MDK22 is right. Delete all but the Microsoft account on your phone. Your outlook.com e-mail will sync with that. It will also sync your contacts and calendar.

It looks like you have a gmail.com alias set up in outlook.com. This is likely what is allowing you to set up an outlook.com e-mail account in your phone (the third entry in your wp 1 screenshot). You don't need that one. The Microsoft account will check your e-mail, contacts, and calendar automatically. I actually have a similar set up (I have outlook.com checking my gmail.com e-mail). When you set up your phone (or any Windows 8 computer or Xbox), you should use your primary Microsoft account. To manage your aliases and set your primary alias (for logging into your Microsoft account), go here: https://account.live.com/names/Manage.

You guys were right! All of my calendar stuff was saving to the wrong account, and that was the only thing. So I just deleted it and will have to start from scratch, but that's fine. Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar