Internet Sharing not working after Cyan - 920 Rogers on TMOBILE-US

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I update my phone to Cyan and the internet sharing stooped working.
When I try to turn on the Internet Sharing, the phone says that my plan doesn't have Internet Sharing and I screen with a upgrade button shows up. I called TMOBILE and they don't know how to fix it.

Anybody on the same boat?:unhappysweat:

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
To recap:

You updated from 8.0 to 8.1. When you try and turn on internet sharing, you get a message asking you to add the feature (useless: anyone with T-Mobile and data has an internet sharing plan right off the bat, it isn't optional). When you agree, and choose to upgrade, it sends you to T-Mobile's upsell web page, that informs you that data isn't available?

And in 8.0, internet sharing worked?

If so, you've got the same problem I have with the 925. If you're using an international phone, than you're having almost the exact same problem. In which case, unfortunately, there isn't an actual solution. Your only "fix" is to downgrade to WP 8.0 using the Nokia Recovery Tool--which will mean sacrificing the new update functions (Cortana, etc.).

However--keep in mind, certain later updates (8.1.1, some call them) will break the ability of Recovery Tool 1.4.3 to do that. Once you update it, you're not going to downgrade until Nokia updates their recovery tool (which they may or may not). Unfortunately, GDR1 (as I believe it was actually called) doesn't fix the problem (it does give you nifty Live Tools) though.

If you look under my threads, you can see my thread for the same issue in 925, and see if it sounds similar. I hope you don't have the same issue, but if you do, you're sort of boned, frankly. I blame myself for thinking that GDR1 would fix the problem (it didn't) and believing Nokia's tech team when they said it was safe to upgrade, the Access point was the issue (they were wrong).

I hope it's not the same problem, but it sounds like it might be.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm sure that we have a t-mobile problem. I added another carrier sim in my Rogers 920 and the internetsharing is woking

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Its working for me on a Rogers unlocked Lumia 920 on T-Mobile.

wp_ss_20140913_0002.pngwp_ss_20140913_0003.png

I had the same issue as yours, the only way to fix it was to perform a hard reset and redo the foreign SIM trick. Now one important factor was...hard reset without having a SIM in the phone or during the initial setup. Why? Because somehow if the T-Mobile SIM is inside the phone during the initial setup, the APN settings kinda get stuck in the phone's memory hence even if you perform the foreign SIM trick it won't work.

Last edited:

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue as yours, the only way to fix it was to perform a hard reset and redo the foreign SIM trick. Now one important factor was...hard reset without having a SIM in the phone or during the initial setup. Why? Because somehow if the T-Mobile SIM is inside the phone during the initial setup, the APN settings kinda get stuck in the phone's memory hence even if you perform the foreign SIM trick it won't work.

You would mind elaborating?

I don't know what the foreign SIM card trick is, though I'm willing to try it potentially. What I'm left wondering is if I import my back up settings, while that override whatever settings keeps internet sharing from working (I guess I could get a list for all my apps, but that sounds like a real PITA just for a gamble that may or may not work).

Thank you for the suggestion all the same. Otherwise, I think the only solution is to wait for T-Mobile to formally roll out the 8.1 update on 920 and 925 handsets, and hope that works.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You would mind elaborating?

I don't know what the foreign SIM card trick is, though I'm willing to try it potentially. What I'm left wondering is if I import my back up settings, while that override whatever settings keeps internet sharing from working (I guess I could get a list for all my apps, but that sounds like a real PITA just for a gamble that may or may not work).

Thank you for the suggestion all the same. Otherwise, I think the only solution is to wait for T-Mobile to formally roll out the 8.1 update on 920 and 925 handsets, and hope that works.

The foreign SIM trick is described in the "Internet Sharing + MMS now working..." thread.

I guess we have three threads going now on this issue...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

T-Mobile won't rollout 8.1 for 920 as it doesn't sell that model

I did a hard reset and it worked. Visual Voicemail doesn't work for me anymore though.

Visual Voicemail should work, if it doesn't stick to enabled keep on trying. It will eventually work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99