Why the 930 uses last year's processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH battery!

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I was so slow, but now I realise why the new July 2014 uses last year's slower 2013 Snapdragon 800 processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH capacity battery.
It's actually because the Nokia Lumia 930 is actually based on the February 2014 Nokia Lumia Icon - sold exclusively to Verizon in the USA!
That's why the Icon uses a name rather than a number, and that's why the Icon has an aluminium chassis.

However, somehow, someone wanted the Verizon based 930 release to be delayed, so that combined with the updated WindowsPhone 8.1 before it was to be released to the rest of the world in July 2014.

Unfortunately, by this late time, the HTC One M8 had already been released in March 2014 with the newer and quicker Snapdragon 801 processor, and a slightly bigger 2600 mAH battery.
Likewise in April 2014, the all new Samsung Galaxy S5 was released with the newer quicker Snapdragon 801, and an even bigger 2800 mAH battery.

Thus at this point in time, the Lumia 930 is in need of a quick update to catch up to the top selling Samsung Galaxy S5, and to a lesser extent, the HTC One M8, especially from the battery run time point of view.
My wife's Samsung Galaxy S5 battery run time is not very good at all; the Lumia 930's is even worse.

At least now we know the reason why the Lumia 930's processor, battery capacity and battery life is behind its two biggest competitors - the Galaxy S5 and the One M8...

Last edited:

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The S800 vs S801 has a 0.1 difference so I don't think it is WAYYY BEHIND. Comparing HTC one has 2.3 GHz S801 vs 930 S800 2.2 GHz so I don't know what's speedy in this. Also s5 has 2.5 GHz so .3 difference is not something to cry about.
Second some people don't understand that in order to get a bigger battery,A BIGGER SIZE PHONE IS REQUIRED!
You don't expect 930 to get 3400 MAH battery from 1520. Even the s5 is .1 inches bigger because now it has 2800 battery. You can't put note 3 battery's in s5.
Heck iPhone 5s still comes with 1560 Mah but nobody complains about it. So yeah here you go

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The specs are indeed a little bit disappointing compared to other high-end phones, but I got mine for free so I'm not gonna complain about it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thus at this point in time, the Lumia 930 is in need of a quick update to catch up to the top selling Samsung Galaxy S5, and to a lesser extent, the HTC One M8...

Curious in which area exactly the 930 needs to "catch up". Is it just in the labelling on the box that says what processor it uses or in any practical usage scenarios?

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Curious in which area exactly the 930 needs to "catch up". Is it just in the labelling on the box that says what processor it uses or in any practical usage scenarios?

The 930 needs to catch up in processor energy consumption efficiency, and in battery mAH capacity for longer run times.

For example, on Techradar's 90 minute looped HD video on high brightness, the Lumia 930's battery fell 24%.
However, the Sony Xperia Z2 fell only 20%.
The class leading Samsung Galaxy S5 fell only 16%.
If you go to Techradar's website, and search for Nokia Lumia 930 and Samsung Galaxy S5 reviews, you will find the results; go to the sub-heading called "Page 4 - Battery Life".

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
...Second some people don't understand that in order to get a bigger battery,A BIGGER SIZE PHONE IS REQUIRED!
You don't expect 930 to get 3400 MAH battery from 1520. Even the s5 is .1 inches bigger because now it has 2800 battery. You can't put note 3 battery's in s5.

Heck iPhone 5s still comes with 1560 Mah but nobody complains about it. So yeah here you go

When so many forum members complain that the 930 barely lasts a day, a bigger battery and phone size a worthy option esp for heavy users.
However, rather than going to a finger stretching 6.0" format like the Lumia 1520, perhaps they could produce a slightly thicker and slightly heavier 5.0" chassis so that the average person doesn't have to stretch their fingers and thumb so much, and a slightly thicker chassis like 9 mm or even 10 mm is actually easier to hold by the edge.

iPhone has tiny 4.0" screen with fewer pixels, so power consumption much less, so it can do with smaller battery mAH capacity.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
When so many forum members complain that the 930 barely lasts a day, a bigger battery and phone size a worthy option esp for heavy users.
However, rather than going to a finger stretching 6.0" format like the Lumia 1520, perhaps they could produce a slightly thicker and slightly heavier 5.0" chassis so that the average person doesn't have to stretch their fingers and thumb so much, and a slightly thicker chassis like 9 mm or even 10 mm is actually easier to hold by the edge.

iPhone has tiny 4.0" screen with fewer pixels, so power consumption much less, so it can do with smaller battery mAH capacity.

The Lumia 930 is pretty much the same size as the s5 except it's thicker, yet the battery inside the 930 is significantly smaller...

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

so your saying that iPhone owners don't complain about battery life? Just because it has few pixels to push doesn't make it power efficient. You don't think that apple users demand more battery? My friend had iPhone 5s because it was iOS..but his problem was BATTERY which lasted half a day. So he switched to Note3 and got 2 days of battery life. Many ppl I know bought android devices because of bigger battery. With that bigger battery,they also started to like big screen estate. I have yet to see someone to say that iPhone's battery lasts a day.
It also depends upon how your using your device. Or you in PVD? Are you running background apps? Did you charged your phone 100% when you bought new? So these things should be there. My friend has a 930 and he hasn't even complained about anything heck he says 930 gives a better battery than iPhone 4s. So its all up to you how you use

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 930 is pretty much the same size as the s5 except it's thicker, yet the battery inside the 930 is significantly smaller...

The 930 is relatively thicker & heavier than the Galaxy S5 due to firstly, the 930's aluminium chassis, and secondly, a built-in wireless charging plate for wireless charging.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
so your saying that iPhone owners don't complain about battery life? Just because it has few pixels to push doesn't make it power efficient. You don't think that apple users demand more battery? My friend had iPhone 5s because it was iOS..but his problem was BATTERY which lasted half a day. So he switched to Note3 and got 2 days of battery life. Many ppl I know bought android devices because of bigger battery. With that bigger battery,they also started to like big screen estate. I have yet to see someone to say that iPhone's battery lasts a day.
It also depends upon how your using your device. Or you in PVD? Are you running background apps? Did you charged your phone 100% when you bought new? So these things should be there. My friend has a 930 and he hasn't even complained about anything heck he says 930 gives a better battery than iPhone 4s. So its all up to you how you use

Yes, certainly. Horses for courses.
Each make & model has its good & bad points.
There is no perfect phone.
Choose the model that suits one best...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The Snapdragon 801 is NOT any more or less efficient than the 800...
The 801 is just a speed bumped 800....The biggest benefit is from the ISP since that got the biggest speed boost.
If we use the SD800 as a baseline, the SD801 is just an overclocked 800.
AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

Theres a blurb about efficiency near the bottom and that comes as a direct result of the performance increases. Looks like your 'this years' chip is just 'last years' chip injected with steroids.

All the other phones get better battery life because all their batteries are bigger than the Lumia 930. I don't think any of them have anything smaller than 2800mah.
I mean the 1520 has incredible battery life, but look at the damn battery, its 3400mah. But it still uses the 'old last year's Snapdragon 800.

More proof that the 'newer' 801 gives the impression that its significantly better than 'last years' 800 due to the numbers game and the date of availability.

I don't take stock in any battery life claims. I have a Lumia 930, it lasts about 15hrs give or take (It could probably get more the less I use it). That's enough for a day, plus I carry around one of those portable USB chargers as an insurance policy. (Removable battery argument thrown out the window btw) My friend has an HTC One and that doesn't last a day for him either. I had a Lumia 710 that barely lasted half a day with its pitiful 1300mah battery.
And every device I always see someone claim one or more days of battery. I've read some people got 1 and a half days out of the 710...really? I could never get that even if I tried. I turn on Airplane mode and I may be able to double usage of that. When it comes to battery life, your mileage may vary.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.

Nokia could offer more choices like a variant called something like "Lumia 930 Plus", and make it 1 or 2 mm thicker, and slightly heavier, offering both a thicker and higher capacity battery, and a mSD card slot.

This is a much better alternative to using a 6.0" format, and forcing many people with average size hands to stretch their fingers and thumb to use the 6.0" format, as I do with my Lumia 1520, but presently there is no other way to get wonderful 2+ days battery life...

Last edited:

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia could offer more choices like a variant called something like "Lumia 930 Plus", and make it 1 or 2 mm thicker, and slightly heavier, offering both a thicker and higher capacity battery, and a mSD card slot.

This is a much better alternative to using a 6.0" format, and forcing many people with average size hands to stretch their fingers and thumb to use the 6.0" format, as I do with my Lumia 1520, but presently there is no other way to get wonderful 2+ days battery life...

I am sure having different hardware versions of the same phone to suit everyone's needs is a wonderful way to do business.

We could have a Lumia 930 Plus which is thicker but has a bigger battery. We'd also have a Lumia 930 Minus which is thinner for the fashion conscious but at the expense of battery size. We could also have a Lumia 930 Selfie with a better front facing camera for the selfie fans; and a Lumia 930 Storage with microSD support. Wonderful ideas! /s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss