Who is buying the Lumia 830 when it comes out?

Broad and Market

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have an Icon, however if we don't have Cyan or Denim by the end of November I will probably jump to T-Mobile. Will I be disappointed if I pick up a 830? The camera is probably my most used feature so OIS is important.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Right now I have an Icon, however if we don't have Cyan or Denim by the end of November I will probably jump to T-Mobile. Will I be disappointed if I pick up a 830? The camera is probably my most used feature so OIS is important.

If you go over to t-mobile, make sure you don't get their carrier branded windows phones. They are just as bad as Verizon with the updates. An unlocked phone is the way to go (like the 1520.3)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is expected to carry the 830 which would probably be the pentaband LTE and AWS 3G supported variant, i.e. the RM-985. I would say wait for the unlocked RM-985s to start selling again and buy that instead else you'll be stuck with a phone with limited updates

Last edited:

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is expected to carry the 830 which would probably be the pentaband LTE and AWS 3G supported variant, i.e. the RM-985. I would say wait for the unlocked RM-985s to start selling again and buy that instead else you'll be stuck with a phone with limited updates
So what's the difference between the RM-985 and the RM-984s that I've been seeing on eBay? Please forgive my ignorance, I've never gone the unlocked phone route before!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So what's the difference between the RM-985 and the RM-984s that I've been seeing on eBay? Please forgive my ignorance, I've never gone the unlocked phone route before!
Hardware is exactly the same except frequency bands for LTE and HSPA/3G. The RM-894 does not support the LTE and 3G bands for T-Mobile but it does support the 3G bands for ATT, not LTE though

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hardware is exactly the same except frequency bands for LTE and HSPA/3G. The RM-894 does not support the LTE and 3G bands for T-Mobile but it does support the 3G bands for ATT, not LTE though
Thanks for that. So the RM-985 will support LTE for AT&T also, or just T-Mobile?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

This is not totally accurate. The RM-984 does support T-Mobile's 3G bands (H and H+ included).

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
and the RM-985 fully supports tmobile bands .. minus the 700mhz band but don't worry about that one ;P

Have you ever used your phone in an area that has not been refarmed, and doesn't have LTE?

in other words an area that still uses the old UMTS 1700/2100 network at 3G/H speeds?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This is not totally accurate. The RM-984 does support T-Mobile's 3G bands (H and H+ included).
Only in areas that have been refarmed, not in majority of the areas where T-Mobile is still operating on its AWS frequency for 3G and HSPA+ and considering the areas that have been refarmed are very less this phone would have very limited possibility to work on T-Mobile 3G everywhere

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Only in areas that have been refarmed, not in majority of the areas where T-Mobile is still operating on its AWS frequency for 3G and HSPA+ and considering the areas that have been refarmed are very less this phone would have very limited possibility to work on T-Mobile 3G everywhere

"Areas" can be misleading though, considering how remote and unpopulated some areas are. It would seem from reports that the majority of T-Mobile customers are in refarmed areas. I haven't traveled as much as I'm going to just yet, but I've covered much of the Mid Atlantic (where I live) and North East, and some of the Mid West (Missouri mostly) recently and this phone has consistently maintained power-efficient H and H+ speeds.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well here in north east and some part of mid west including Missouri, even though the frequencies have been refarmed, they have been done partially in patches and not everywhere. Again your and my experience might vary but i would really be skeptical in recommending this variant to someone who wants to to use this on T-Mobile due to its limited and inconsistent frequency bands. If it were ATT then yes i would have recommended

Last edited:

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Just switched from the Samsung ativ s on bell network in Canada, just wondering if there are any walk in stores you can buy a wireless charging mat from?
I switched from the L920 on Rogers so already had one, but head to order that one online. I think bestbuy/future shop/source have non-Nokia Qi chargers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)