Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure what you mean as far as me making excuses. You said what if, which means it's not possible at this moment. The M8 will be available to most carriers as the Lumias are not, they are exclusive. Their audience is limited. There is no Lumia phone that's the face of WP.

Look we are not trying to discuss the specs of this phone vs phone X. The bottom line is, they release another Lumia, with great specs and even better camera, it will be to a very limited audience because of the exclusives. People will not generally switch carriers for a phone. The M8, which has so far gotten very good reviews, and the camera is not the deal breaker, will be available to most of the carriers. With that being said, IF this phone sells well, IF, and HTC starts releasing them to all carriers, then could this phone possibly be the "Galaxy" of the WP line? As mentioned, Lumia does not have that phone yet. If the 1525 is released will it go to one carrier or all?

And Presently speaking, the M8 is also an exclusive as well. So the argument doesn't make sense. Yes it is coming to other carriers eventually but as it stands, it too is an exclusive.

if the rumors pan out, the New Nokia Phones may have a larger release.

I still say that the Lumia 1020 is the face of WIndows Phone just because of the fact of the matter of those commercials. It was the phone I had at the time when those commercials came out(Microsoft REALLY needs another one of those) and that is how people were able to recognize my device. The fact of the matter is, this is not the first time HTC has released a phone on multiple carriers(8x) and still on one Carrier, Nokia outsold them.

Technically speaking Nokia has at least released Variants on most carriers at the same time(The 810, 820, 822) all were released around the same time when Windows Phone 8 initially launched. It's not exactly the same thing but it isn't like Nokia has not at least attempted to release them around the same time.

I look at Exclusives as the good thing because it gets the carrier involved. At&t has done some great marketing with Windows Phone. Verizon also as well with the 928. Exclusives have their plusses as well as their minuses.

The M8 also got great reviews as android and we see that really hasn't helped it that much. In fact many called it the best Android to date, better than Samsung's GS5.......and look at it now. Perhaps it'll be better on WP since Microsoft is throwing HTC a bone by Side-lining high end lumias(It'll look bad if HTC is on all carriers and a high end lumia exclusive outsells...again). The camera is also a con in most reviews i've read(where they compare it to Lumia as well).

Personally Imo

Gen 1(2012)- The Lumia 920 became the Face of Windows Phone.

This is Globally...not just US. You're speaking from a US perspective where there is exclusives. Globally speaking, the 920 was the face of Windows Phone.

Gen 2....I'd say that was 1020....the phone everyone was talking about and comparing others too. Certainly the most talked about device last summer and into the fall.

Gen 2.5 became the 520/521 aka the best selling Windows Phone world wide.

Now in Gen 3...things are slightly trickier.
While the Icon/930 is available globally ....it is not as well-received and I have a feeling the 630 line-up maybe become the new face.

You're speaking of ONE Phone......I'm speaking of ONE LINE.
The Lumia Line. Samsung is more than just the Galaxy S series and note series, just Lumia is more than just the 1020 and 1520.
Collectively speaking, yes both Lines are the dominant forces. Samsung's Galaxy S5 is a best seller yes but it is also their variants and low/mid range(which aren't available elsewhere) plus their Note line that collectively make their line/brand the face of Android.

It's not any one phone....you can't take just one aspect of their portfolio because it would weaken them. Collectively all of Samsung's various products make the GALAXY LINE the face of Android just like collectively together Nokia's lumia line make it the face of Windows phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This guy....smh...he can't even keep up with the stuff he is saying.
I can keep up with it well.

I'd probably get the M8 simply because I am a Selfie addict and it is great at that.
Of course the back camera apparently is worse on Android, so i'd wind up getting a Sony potentially :)

If it's just a once or twice occurrence then no,but with you it's not just a once or twice occurrence,it's on every thread about this phone your posting on.

You are constantly posting negative things when uncalled for,and going further than just giving an opinion.

You think you have some type of right to constantly try to derail threads or get an argument started under the guise of stating an opinion and you don't.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

I am not starting an argument though. I am giving my thoughts on it.
If people wish to defend their phone choice, then that is fine but dont put this on me because I gave my opinion about a product that you chose or will choose or are considering to buy for yourself. If people would stop being so defensive and actually have a mature discussion/debate the topic wouldn't get so heated.

but the moment someone criticizes and calls the product out for its weakness, people get defensive. Chill out and discuss it maturely or not at all. I shouldn't have to stick to my forums and I shouldn't have to censor my opinions of a product when i am not attacking anyone(or anything). People say we should embrace and welcome all WP OEM. We should also embrace and welcome all WP OEM criticisms as well.

(This is just like the people who get upset when you say the ATIV line feels cheap or looks ugly. I don't get upset or annoyed or frustrated when someone calls my phone ugly or whatever).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes, how boring would things get without Micah to stir it up a little??

First off, yes this did go on a little bit of a side track, but so far I see what is being discussed as a related topic. The original question is a good one: In the best case scenario, could HTC strike WP gold right now by releasing the ONE for Windows (I hate that name. Forgive me) on all carriers? Micah took the negative. Hey, if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question. I have read through all the responses, and there is nothing being said that is personal or insulting, so I see nothing wrong with the posts. Agree or not, it is an opinion. I think those agreeing with the OP have done a fantastic job of keeping Micah honest. No blood, no foul.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now on topic, yes I think HTC has the best chance in a long time to get out a device which could overtake the Lumia for WP "name recognition". I see a MS right now without a flagship on all carriers, and an excellent HTC device that is a great hardware option running an OS that just LOOKS great on it. How can HTC make this happen?

-Get the Windows ONE on all four carriers prior to the fall/holiday buying season (looks like that box is checked).
-Get carriers to put it right next to the HTC Android ONE and get them to include it on some commercials. Verizon has done this, I am sure T-Mobile won't mind and AT&T has been good about keeping WP devices front and center. Sprint?? Well, let us not expect miracles.
-HTC needs to get behind it themselves. They need to increase their Store Hub (it is really small compared to Samsung and Nokia/MS), and promote their product. They need to realize and believe that this is a market that can and will increase.

The last is the problem. Did HTC promote any of their WPs? The 8X? The Titan series? The Arrive? The Trophy?

I would like to believe in them, I LOVE their hardware. But so far, my experiences with them is that they do not push or support their products well. Nokia has. Heck, Samsung has support their WPs better with firmware and an increased WP app hub count.

That is why I sit here thinking simply put: Nope, HTC ONE for Windows won't be the Galaxy for WP. Not because they can't be or even shouldn't be, simply because they don't want to be.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The fact of the matter is that this device is the best Windows Phone you can buy. It's gorgeous, and it has all of the latest specs people are clambering for. I love the IR blaster and the Dot View case, and the 1080p screen is just the perfect size. Listening to the BoomSound speakers blare while the phone is in landscape mode playing a game is unlike any mobile phone I've ever experienced.

If you own this phone, I applaud you. You've got the best Windows Phone on the face of the planet. The only reason why anyone would come to this subforum and say something negative about this device would be because they are jealous that they can't have one.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The fact of the matter is that this device is the best Windows Phone you can buy. It's gorgeous, and it has all of the latest specs people are clambering for. I love the IR blaster and the Dot View case, and the 1080p screen is just the perfect size. Listening to the BoomSound speakers blare while the phone is in landscape mode playing a game is unlike any mobile phone I've ever experienced.

If you own this phone, I applaud you. You've got the best Windows Phone on the face of the planet. The only reason why anyone would come to this subforum and say something negative about this device would be because they are jealous that they can't have one.

Wow, someone is annoying hard. I have a windows phone with a very usable camera, great screen size, material that doesn't get scratched because I looked at it wrong and most importantly, a plethora of OEM apps that enhance windows phone tenfold. Here's a hint, the m8 doesn't tickle any of those points for me

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a very usable camera, great screen size, and my phone has YET to scratch.

So I guess you have accessories on me...grats? I don't use accessories.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow, someone is annoying hard. I have a windows phone with a very usable camera, great screen size, material that doesn't get scratched because I looked at it wrong and most importantly, a plethora of OEM apps that enhance windows phone tenfold. Here's a hint, the m8 doesn't tickle any of those points for me

I'm happy for you :smile:

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a very usable camera, great screen size, and my phone has YET to scratch.

So I guess you have accessories on me...grats? I don't use accessories.

Perhaps you don't understand just how soft a metal aluminum is? The m8 camera is passable if you take a photo in the right conditions and never view it on a screen larger than the m8.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps you don't understand just how soft a metal aluminum is? The m8 camera is passable if you take a photo in the right conditions and never view it on a screen larger than the m8.

Yeah I mean, its not like Ive been using it since it came out, throwing it in with the change in the console of my car. talking about build material of M8 is ridiculous. It was fantastic when the iPhone did it, but HTC? Ermhgerd, it will scratch!

You talk about fanboys, but you have no clue what my needs or conditions are and presume to tell me how and what my experiences are. It takes fine photos for what I need, which are business related and the occasional quick snap. PASSABLE. For anything else, I will buy a 50 dollar point and shoot which kills any Lumia camera out there. If I need quality, I will use a DSLR.

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I mean, its not like Ive been using it since it came out, throwing it in with the change in the console of my car.

You talk about fanboys, but you have no clue what my needs or conditions are and presume to tell me how and what my experiences are. It takes fine photos for what I need, which are business related and the occasional quick snap. PASSABLE. For anything else, I will buy a 50 dollar point and shoot which kills any Lumia camera out there. If I need quality, I will use a DSLR.

You shouldn't feel any need to defend your device to anyone. He's not even happy with his own phone, and was trying to trade it off: http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-buy-sell-trade/304536-wtt-lumia-1520-motherlode.html

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

:) So much LOL for this<3 Idk if this was intentional humor or not but it was a funny one :D
The 95% of us with Lumias are Jealous of the One :D Got ya!

LOL. Well they do say people will tell themselves anything to not face the truth :)

The Ir blaster, while cool, is not something that matters to MOST USERS.
Dot View case again is cool but is ugly lol

And I actually will trade in the speakers...it's a phone not an Xbox with surround sound :p for my Lumia 1520 which makes playing games, watching movies and youtube, reading books, etc etc so much better on it's screen :)

Come on now, at least make smart comments and replies :) Now this thread is turning into a "My phone can do this and you can't do that so I am the best."

And that is a little pathetic and makes you look bad(especially since i am supposed to be the bad guy here lol) :) The original topic is about the One M8 being the galaxy of windows :D As said above, I took the negative to balance out the negative lol

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay every, PLEASE keep it civil. This is starting to get a little "grumpy".

This is a very interesting topic. No need to slam the device, it is a gorgeous and powerful phone and has been great for WP headlines when WP has had nothing other then bad news, so why would you? Instead, keep the focus on the business of mobile:

Can a HTC ONE M8 for Windows light the world on fire in sales if it does indeed make all 4 carriers? And could it become a household name that consumers associate with WP?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
All of the accessories and awesome flip cases that are made for the Android version of the M8 ALSO fit the Windows Phone version. It's cool how that worked out :smile:

Straight up, this is a built in advantage of MS removing the hardware requirments for WP. Now, HTC can push out a top end WP on established hardware and WP users do not have to sacrifice cases, screen gaurds, so on and so forth to buy theat WP. The same can go for a WP based on the Galaxy S5 device. All the cases for the S5 would fit a WP S5 variant if Samsung just reused the same hardware.

I was among the very few on this board who loved that MS got rid of one of the limiting factors of phone production. Yes, I know the loss of the camera button hurts, but in exchange there may be some really great devices rolling out soon. And just imagine how much good PR WP could get if, like the battery life on the M8, the OS runs better on that hardware then the Android it was designed for!!

Here I am, on a rabbit trail after asking everyone else to stay on point.

*puts own nose in corner*

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The Phone is dated.

If this phone is dated then all of the Lumias are.

Keep in mind that the M8 is the only Windows Phone with a Snapdragon 801 Processor.

Although I doubt the M8 will be the Galaxy of Windows Phones since the One doesn't particularly release a lot of phones under that name.

​The Lumia is the Galaxy of Windows Phones as far as quantity and market share are concerned although hardware wise, the Lumias are definitely better than Galaxies.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay every, PLEASE keep it civil. This is starting to get a little "grumpy".

This is a very interesting topic. No need to slam the device, it is a gorgeous and powerful phone and has been great for WP headlines when WP has had nothing other then bad news, so why would you? Instead, keep the focus on the business of mobile:

Can a HTC ONE M8 for Windows light the world on fire in sales if it does indeed make all 4 carriers? And could it become a household name that consumers associate with WP?

I'm going to go on record as saying the M8 for Windows won't set the world on fire in sales if it's on all four carriers. Now before Micah gives me a high five I'll say that an Icon released on all carriers wouldn't do it either. If the M8 had the Icon camera....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo