Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't need to set the world on fire, it just needs to open people's eyes. Thats how the GS1 started.

Micah is a Nokia purist. He thinks that if its not Nokia, it sucks, and he would let Windows Phone die to keep it that way. The brand jealousy is unreal if not immature. Its one thing if its Wp vs iOS vs Android, but WP vs. WP? Give me a break. People could choose to ignore the M8, but their jealousy causes them to bash.

I didn't want a 6 inch phone, and felt 5.7 was ridiculous as it was with the Note 3.
I wanted sd card storage.
I wanted the fastest GPU and CPU at this time.
I wanted a premium build.
I wanted good battery life.
I wanted WP 8.1 GDR1.
I wouldn't have minded a better camera but as I rarely have ever used a camera on a phone, it was totally a niche item.

I think I made a good choice considering Nokia couldn't offer me that combination and the M8 met most of my desired features.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If this phone is dated then all of the Lumias are.

Keep in mind that the M8 is the only Windows Phone with a Snapdragon 801 Processor.

Although I doubt the M8 will be the Galaxy of Windows Phones since the One doesn't particularly release a lot of phones under that name.

​The Lumia is the Galaxy of Windows Phones as far as quantity and market share are concerned although hardware wise, the Lumias are definitely better than Galaxies.

Keep in mind that this is windows phone and the 801 really does not matter in most cases except to say "I'm first."

Didn't htc also announce a 64 Bit android phone...that android presently doesnt really support? But it is a First...
(I'll give HTC credit where credit is due...they are usually the 1st in a lot of things with Android but then unfortunately someone else winds up outdoing them(Samsung) by doing the same thing, but better and fully fledged".

I think my 1520 uses an 800? My friend now has an M8 which after various issues with it, he is returning for an Icon tomorrow, and side by side, the ONLY noticeable difference i see is the camera speed(LOL). Everything else is pretty much the same.
Straight up, this is a built in advantage of MS removing the hardware requirments for WP. Now, HTC can push out a top end WP on established hardware and WP users do not have to sacrifice cases, screen gaurds, so on and so forth to buy theat WP. The same can go for a WP based on the Galaxy S5 device. All the cases for the S5 would fit a WP S5 variant if Samsung just reused the same hardware.

I was among the very few on this board who loved that MS got rid of one of the limiting factors of phone production. Yes, I know the loss of the camera button hurts, but in exchange there may be some really great devices rolling out soon. And just imagine how much good PR WP could get if, like the battery life on the M8, the OS runs better on that hardware then the Android it was designed for!!

Here I am, on a rabbit trail after asking everyone else to stay on point.

*puts own nose in corner*

While I can appreciate the restrictions of the OS being lifted a bit, this is also a con for me as I said before. I'd prefer WP/MS go the apple way than the android way. The Uniformity of WP7 and Wp8 i preferred...It was always annoying going from various android phones and having to get used to FOR WHATEVER reason them switching thing like the Camera button placement(or a lack of), power button placement....As well as the capacitive buttons as well.

(it's also another reason I am looking at Apple now as an actual competitor and trying to get myself used to a tileless world...at leas ton my phone, i do still have surface)

I am not one of the people who wish for Zune to come back(though it was great) or the return of the Hubs(though they were far more useful back then imo)but i am one of those who do prefer the OS to stay pure and unique without bastardizing it which is kind of what WP 8.1 is becoming.

On the one hand it is so great to have a good device, even if it is weaker in areas(Camera, OEM support, OEM apps, etc etc) but on the other hand, this is also a growing defining moment where we used to praise devices like the 8x for a brilliant design and instead we're excited to get scraps(Look at it as positively as you wish, but it's scraps) :D

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind that this is windows phone and the 801 really does not matter in most cases except to say "I'm first."

Everyone says that about things they don't have. The battery improvements alone are worth it.
Didn't htc also announce a 64 Bit android phone...that android presently doesnt really support? But it is a First...

Android L does, which is what it will ship with.
(I'll give HTC credit where credit is due...they are usually the 1st in a lot of things with Android but then unfortunately someone else winds up outdoing them(Samsung) by doing the same thing, but better and fully fledged".
Samsung has their own issue. Namely they pulled an Apple and make all their phones look the same. Touchwiz takes any performance advantage and stomps all over it. Then they lie by inflating benchmark results. People fall for it though.

I think my 1520 uses an 800? My friend now has an M8 which after various issues with it, he is returning for an Icon tomorrow, and side by side, the ONLY noticeable difference i see is the camera speed(LOL). Everything else is pretty much the same.

Convenient. What kind of issues?

I am not one of the people who wish for Zune to come back(though it was great) or the return of the Hubs(though they were far more useful back then imo)but i am one of those who do prefer the OS to stay pure and unique without bastardizing it which is kind of what WP 8.1 is becoming.
Bastardized how exactly?

On the one hand it is so great to have a good device, even if it is weaker in areas(Camera, OEM support, OEM apps, etc etc) but on the other hand, this is also a growing defining moment where we used to praise devices like the 8x for a brilliant design and instead we're excited to get scraps(Look at it as positively as you wish, but it's scraps) :D

If the M8 is scraps, then Nokia must be less than that.

You just proved my point about being a diehard purist who rather see WP die than go to something besides Lumia. Its as bad as some of the rabid Samsung fanboys and their Android devices. You remind me of Richard Yarrell. In fact, thats my new name for ya. ;) In case you aren't familiar with him: http://disqus.com/yarrellray/

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Micah I understand you don't care for the restrictions being loosened, but one of the things that has enabled android to sell like it has is the ability for each manufacturer to differentiate themselves from each other. It also causes more competition within the platform. I really think this kind of stuff will benefit Windows phone in the long run. The M8 and the Icon are similar in a lot of ways but have different strengths that will appeal to more buyers. This can't do anything but help the platform grow.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't need to set the world on fire, it just needs to open people's eyes. Thats how the GS1 started.

Micah is a Nokia purist. He thinks that if its not Nokia, it sucks, and he would let Windows Phone die to keep it that way. The brand jealousy is unreal if not immature. Its one thing if its Wp vs iOS vs Android, but WP vs. WP? Give me a break. People could choose to ignore the M8, but their jealousy causes them to bash.

I didn't want a 6 inch phone, and felt 5.7 was ridiculous as it was with the Note 3.
I wanted sd card storage.
I wanted the fastest GPU and CPU at this time.
I wanted a premium build.
I wanted good battery life.
I wanted WP 8.1 GDR1.
I wouldn't have minded a better camera but as I rarely have ever used a camera on a phone, it was totally a niche item.

I think I made a good choice considering Nokia couldn't offer me that combination and the M8 met most of my desired features.
Jealousy implies I have envy or hate towards something that that I can't get...When the M8 comes to At&t, I am capable of getting it if I wanted it. I don't want it...so I am trying to figure out where does Jealousy come in at.

Furthermore, it is a bit hypocritical. It's one thing if it is WP VS Android or WP vs IOS...but not okay with WP VS WP :) Makes perfect sense<3(no, not really. That is just ludicrous).

Please do not speak for me as if we are on familiar terms with one another :) I believe the Moderator already stated that we should not be making this personal<3

Though you do have a slight point. In truth, I wish Nokia could've just taken over WIndows Phone. Not so much because I am a Purist but it is obvious they were held back by microsoft and did/added features the base software lacked. I truly wish Nokia could've then used Windows Phone and made it the way they wanted it to be. I am sure it would be great.

Unfortunately that did not happen. I am not opposed to Any other OEM making Windows Phone. I actually strongly support companies like Blu, Huaweii, and a couple of those others who recently added devices to the Portfolio.

Furthermore, I do have to point out the fact that

I did want a 6 Inch phone....And the 5 inch icon/930 would suffice for me. I am glad I was among the first to get the first Phablet for WP last year.

Sd Storage is highly irrelevant to me...Provided the phone has at least 32 GB storage. That's why I have 330 GB of Onedrive storage to save stuff for me.

The fastest GPU/CPU is highly irrelevant...Again this is not Android. Though if it gives you something to feel great about, then don't let me take that one from you :)

The Icon/930 and 1520 are Premium devices :D If people can call a Samsung Premium, then a Nokia has to be premium as well.

My battery life on the 1520 is far larger so I have great battery life :)

I have 8,1 GRD1 with DP :)

and I got a Better Camera....By a long shot<3

I also have SD storage :)

So aside from the Screen size(which i understand), Aside from the Speakers & the IR Blaster(which are just as niche as the camera you called Niche LOL)...my 1520 is quite as capable as your M8 :D

Does it make it better? No not necessarily. It just means it is just as capable and if you take out Nokia Cameras, it still is a capable device to the M8 while having the backing of an OEM who actually has done something for the platform :)

There is no need to make this into a debate or war of devices. I am sorry that you are unable to accept criticisms, I truly am. But nothing I've said is false. My opinion yes, but i made factual statements as well.

Feel free to life your M8 to the Gods and be happy with your purchase, but let's stop calling people Jealous :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Micah I understand you don't care for the restrictions being loosened, but one of the things that has enabled android to sell like it has is the ability for each manufacturer to differentiate themselves from each other. It also causes more competition within the platform. I really think this kind of stuff will benefit Windows phone in the long run. The M8 and the Icon are similar in a lot of ways but have different strengths that will appeal to more buyers. This can't do anything but help the platform grow.

No, I agree that there are a lot of plusses and perhaps with Nokia D&S with Microsoft, I may wind up actually stepping outside of the Lumia ring one day.

Of course, the new iPhone may actually be the device that makes me step out of the ring . Let's be real...The Camera/Hardware is mainly the only reason I am with WP :)

I love my tiles in theory and then I realized, I actually just like the visual Aspects of them. I don't even actively use my tiles as powerfully as I can on my Surface/lumia aside from launching the apps(Which is exactly what static icons on Iphone would do).

But yes it is a good thing for the platform but then look at that chaos that is Android. TOo much control and you get the crap that Android has. It is why I prefer uniformity.

There are more than one way to differentiate themselves.

Nokias are the Camera Phones.

HTC Is the Music Phone.....Even with the 8x, that was the 8x's strongest point.

TBH, I am not even sure what Samsung is really good at :D I literally can't think of anything that Samsung specializes in really(as far as their windows phones go or even android lol).

But my point is, Differentiate your devices with the hardware and features you add not by bastardizing the OS or by making it too open. Nokia did this very thing.

There are Lumias with Great Cameras then you have the ATIV line with Good Cameras and then the One M8......with...that camera.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Sd Storage is highly irrelevant to me...Provided the phone has at least 32 GB storage. That's why I have 330 GB of Onedrive storage to save stuff for me.

How does that work out when you have no network access? my sd card works fine, thanks.

The fastest GPU/CPU is highly irrelevant...Again this is not Android. Though if it gives you something to feel great about, then don't let me take that one from you :)

Conveniently left out the battery improvements, and actually GPU is important for games, but that wasn't what i was getting at. Battery improvements make it worth it. Then there is also increased memory bandwidth, but you keep believing that they aren't important. ;)

I have 8,1 GRD1 with DP :)
Which currently is exactly the same as GDR1. Oh, did I mention that I also joined the developer preview program (and am actually a developer!)?

and I got a Better Camera....By a long shot<3
Its a shame my 50 dollar point and shoot blows it away ;)

I also have SD storage :)
I listd a combination of my needs, not yours. If the 1520 was an 801 and not the size of a tablet, I would have been interested in it.

But my point is, Differentiate your devices with the hardware and features you add not by bastardizing the OS or by making it too open. Nokia did this very thing.
Yep, they flooded the middle and low end markets and it paid off. Too bad they only recently made the OS friendlier to other OEMs. Even Apple has suffered for this attitude. Android did the same with one big difference: they opened up the OS and encouraged everyone to join in. Market numbers speak a different story than what you preach. The people have answered.

Feel free to life your M8 to the Gods and be happy with your purchase, but let's stop calling people Jealous :)

Then stop acting like it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No, I agree that there are a lot of plusses and perhaps with Nokia D&S with Microsoft, I may wind up actually stepping outside of the Lumia ring one day.

Of course, the new iPhone may actually be the device that makes me step out of the ring . Let's be real...The Camera/Hardware is mainly the only reason I am with WP :)

I love my tiles in theory and then I realized, I actually just like the visual Aspects of them. I don't even actively use my tiles as powerfully as I can on my Surface/lumia aside from launching the apps(Which is exactly what static icons on Iphone would do).

But yes it is a good thing for the platform but then look at that chaos that is Android. TOo much control and you get the crap that Android has. It is why I prefer uniformity.

There are more than one way to differentiate themselves.

Nokias are the Camera Phones.

HTC Is the Music Phone.....Even with the 8x, that was the 8x's strongest point.

TBH, I am not even sure what Samsung is really good at :D I literally can't think of anything that Samsung specializes in really(as far as their windows phones go or even android lol).

There are Lumias with Great Cameras then you have the ATIV line with Good Cameras and then the One M8......with...that camera.

Samsung makes pretty good cameras. The S5 is one of the best out there. I really want an M8, but it will probably be the android version. I'm sure the WP version would do better on battery life, but smoothness and speed are similar on both and the android version has more and better apps and better functionality.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Samsung makes pretty good cameras. The S5 is one of the best out there. I really want an M8, but it will probably be the android version. I'm sure the WP version would do better on battery life, but smoothness and speed are similar on both and the android version has more and better apps and better functionality.

I needed change from Android, thats why I chose the Windows version. Plus, I am a .NET developer, so its nothing for me to whip up apps as I need them. As for battery life, its way better. It outlasts my Note 3 by a good 20-30%.

There is nothing wrong with Android, i was just bored with it and I like the security WP provides vs. Android.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
How does that work out when you have no network access? my sd card works fine, thanks.

I have ATT. Very Rarely do i have a Lack of network access :)
More importantly

All my most important files stay on the phone. The Onedrive Storage comes into play with stuff i don't use regularly(books, movies, etc etc)

Conveniently left out the battery improvements, and actually GPU is important for games, but that wasn't what i was getting at. Battery improvements make it worth it. Then there is also increased memory bandwidth, but you keep believing that they aren't important. ;)
I never said they weren't important. I said that it is not that much of a difference. It's more like when people were knocking Windows Phones for the fact they used Dual Core(920 era) while Android used Quadcores at that time.

At this point and time, it is good to have the latest and greatest thing. And I am sure a Lumia will be coming out soon with it as well as other Windows phones. Either way, I don't much care about it having an 801 to my 800 :D

Which currently is exactly the same as GDR1. Oh, did I mention that I also Ijoined the developer preview program (and am actually a developer!)?

I'm aware that it is the same. I was just pointing out i also have GDR1 :) Good to hear you are a developer. We always need more of them :D

Its a shame my 50 dollar point and shoot blows it away ;)
And yet i thought we were talking about two similar products...not something else unrelated. Must've gotten confused.

I listd a combination of my needs, not yours. If the 1520 was an 801 and not the size of a tablet, I would have been interested in it.

And I responded back with my needs :) That is what a discussion forum is for. Discussing things :)

Yep, they flooded the middle and low end markets and it paid off. Too bad they only recently made the OS friendlier to other OEMs. Android did the same with one big difference: they opened up the OS and encouraged everyone to join in. Market numbers speak a different story than what you preach. The people have answered.

And I hope they keep some control...which Google is trying to get back :) Having an open OS and free for all is good but at the same time it does also put a negative on image. Having to tell people to get the best experience you should get Nexus or don't get this OEM because their UI is heavy....Yeah I hope WP never becomes that.

Again I prefer the apple way :) But i suppose a little freedom in the OS is not too bad.

Then stop acting like it.
I am not acting Jealous. You're being defensive :)
If you are happy with your product, then be happy with it. I am not going to take that away from you :)

Be happy. You are getting worked up because someone is criticizing your device :D
your money, your happiness :D I have to admit i find this humorous because i have never seen someone so defensive over a phone that they cant have an actual discussion without making personal claims of jealousy and insecurity of others :p

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lmao that's funny. But no.

Pretty sure Lumia already is the galaxy of windows phone considering how much like galaxy is synonymous with android,Lumia is synonymous with windows phone.

Lumia is synonymous of Nokia. Not Windows Phone. Common people don't have a clue about the OS they have on their phones. They know the phone's brand (because it's written there) and they know the name of their phone. If you say "Galaxy" people will think "Samsung". If you say "Lumia" people will think Nokia (actually often people don't think anything because Nokia phones are generally treated as "Nokia" and not by any other branding names like "Lumia"). If you say "iPhone" people think "Apple".
Only we, who like this stuff, associate phones with operating systems. The vast majority of consumers doesn't. Which is why Samsung is so comfortable with pushing Tizen forward. They know the vast majority of their user base will probably not even notice it's a different OS if all looks similar to TouchWiz.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My last Samsung I owned was the Gs3. But the Camera was pretty decent at the time as far as I remember and I am sure the newer Galaxy phones are good :)

I have been curious about giving Android a try again in 2014 since I am growing annoyed with what Microsoft is doing to the OS and now to the Lumia brand.

But i remember how crap Google treats its users and I refuse to :) Apple is likely about to become a good friend of mine.
(Works perfectly since i actually applied for a job there and if i get it i probably should use an iPhone lol)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Come on now, at least make smart comments and replies :) Now this thread is turning into a "My phone can do this and you can't do that so I am the best."

I don't own the M8, and I don't have any intentions on buying it. So this isn't me trying to be a "my phone can do this" type of person.

And that is a little pathetic and makes you look bad

What's pathetic is you coming into the M8 subforum making nothing but bad comments about the phone. So you're either jealous that you don't have one, or insecure that an awesome new HTC phone has come along and stolen Nokia's thunder. I think it's both.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
If this phone sells well, and the fact it's available on most carriers could this become the flagship line of WP much like the Galaxy is for Android, even though Google produces the Nexus?

There's got to be a reason most of the carriers, (ahem Spint) have jumped on adding this phone to their lineups. Maybe they're predicting this phone will sell well.

Move over, Verizon: Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T all to get Windows Phone 8.1 HTC One M8 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
I don't think it will become the Galaxy of WP. I think it will be the HTC of WP just like it is the HTC of Android. First, this is their first offering in a long while so it will take people a little time to give it a chance over the many Lumia models already available. But the fact that it is premium, new, and highly capable gives it the same leverage it has in the Android market. Simply put, its a very competitive device to the king of WP which is Lumia right now. But for any Windows Phone fan and loyalist that hopes or is looking for this phone to fail that's very unfortunate. Looking at the big picture we need to hope this phone flies off the shelves. This is not a Nokia Lumia race only. This is a Windows Phone race and we are WAYYY behind the other guys. So I hope the One gives people a chance to appreciate something besides a Lumia and enjoy the experience that is WP8.1.1. We need this phone to succeed as well ever other Windows Phone device regardless of the OEM.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My last Samsung I owned was the Gs3. But the Camera was pretty decent at the time as far as I remember and I am sure the newer Galaxy phones are good :)

I have been curious about giving Android a try again in 2014 since I am growing annoyed with what Microsoft is doing to the OS and now to the Lumia brand.

But i remember how crap Google treats its users and I refuse to :) Apple is likely about to become a good friend of mine.
(Works perfectly since i actually applied for a job there and if i get it i probably should use an iPhone lol)

I'm very excited about what Google is doing with android L. If I was on AT&T I would get a Nexus or Google play edition phone just for android L.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I needed change from Android, thats why I chose the Windows version. Plus, I am a .NET developer, so its nothing for me to whip up apps as I need them. As for battery life, its way better. It outlasts my Note 3 by a good 20-30%.

There is nothing wrong with Android, i was just bored with it and I like the security WP provides vs. Android.

20-30%.... Wow, I might get the WP version if it's that great!

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
20-30%.... Wow, I might get the WP version if it's that great!
..and I don't think its "just" an Android vs. WP difference. Android has been plagued for the last year or so with Google services that will hang in the background, especially location services. It just eats the battery alive.

Google keeps issuing fixes, but the problem still rears its ugly head.

My Note 3 could make it to the end of the day. My M8 with the same usage made it 41 hours before dying, 36 of those on LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)