Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
That's like saying that all of the variety in Android is less important and when people think Android, they think Galaxy S.

Not even remotely the same thing. My point was, and I would love to see you actually prove me wrong on this, people think two phone lines when they hear Galaxy: S series and Note series. Why? Because they are the biggest sellers. Their lower end models did not make Galaxy a household name. Therefore (stay with me here), variety isn't as important. Variety gets a company's name known, top selling models get a series of phone known.

That has squat to do with variety in Android. In fact, it has nothing to do with the OS at all. We are just talking exposure here.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia certainly has the brand recognition, but exclusives are their downfall. What they should have on all carriers is the 1520 for the phablet class, Icon for the high end phone and the 630/635 for the low end. These moves would put the Lumia series in a spot where they probably couldn't be challenged in the WP world. As it is there is an opportunity for HTC, Samsung or another carrier to take the top spot. However it falls out should be interesting to watch.

I actually suspect that poor brand recognition, coupled with the inability to spend billions on marketing, is at least one of the reasons why Nokia decided to go with the exclusives-strategy in NORTH AMERICA (nowhere else).

In the middle east, eastern Europe and south America, absolutely, Nokia is an extremely popular brand. In most of western Europe and the U.S. , 'trusted' is the best the Nokia brand can hope to be associated with, but in the eyes of most consumers, it just plain lacks desirability.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually suspect that poor brand recognition, coupled with the inability to spend billions on marketing, is at least one of the reasons why Nokia decided to go with the exclusives-strategy in NORTH AMERICA (nowhere else).

In the middle east, eastern Europe and south America, absolutely, Nokia is an extremely popular brand. In most of western Europe and the U.S. , 'trusted' is the best the Nokia brand can hope to be associated with, but in the eyes of most consumers, it just plain lacks desirability.

You're right, I meant in the Windows Phone world Nokia has brand recognition. I also think that's why Nokia has exclusives, I just don't think it's working as well for them as they hoped. This applies to the US of course.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You're right, I meant in the Windows Phone world Nokia has brand recognition. I also think that's why Nokia has exclusives, I just don't think it's working as well for them as they hoped. This applies to the US of course.

Prior to Windows Phone, Nokia wasn't popular in the USA. When Symbian was popular in Europe and Asia, people in the USA bought BlackBerry and Palm smartphones.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
frankly unless HTC stops this new sudden dedication to windows phone 8.1 on the M8,i dont see what could stop HTC M8 from becoming the best windows phone yet, i think HTC and Nokia/MS should make a phone together with the best of both for a true flagship

-930 lacks an sd card slot and glance
-1520 is too big for most of us
-HTC's dedication to the M8 for windows is still questioned with regards to the future
-830 is a great phone but people are not liking the SD400(frankly i dont believe in that logic given my 720 with 512mb ram and SD S4 hasnt yet let me down)

combine the best of all and you have a phone ready to rock all the flagships,im not saying any of the phones i mentioned are bad or should be discountinued in favour of a new (dream) flagship
i would love a phone with the best of the 720 with a better screen,ram,slightly improved design etc(no the 730 doesnt tick these boxes fully)-the 720 has fully met my needs in a phone but sort out the little things and it would have sold better elsewhere as well(its popular in india etc)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People are, of course, always welcome to ignore certain posts. You only justify an argument by responding to it, after all.

I have to chuckle as I read these posts. Reminiscent of the Samsung bashing in the Ativ S/SE threads. The M8 is a beautiful phone and I really hope it furthers awareness/use/development of WP.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to chuckle as I read these posts. Reminiscent of the Samsung bashing in the Ativ S/SE threads. The M8 is a beautiful phone and I really hope it furthers awareness/use/development of WP.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
I remember in the Ativ SE threads a certain poster making similar arguments against the Ativ that are being made against the M8. Coincidence?????

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the reason the ativ is bashed is because samsung arguably doesnt put in an effort in impoving its phones hardware quality and software
ill give them a kudos on the S4 and S5 cameras and the service centres(though they arent the best but atleast there is an option to get a samsung serviced unlike oppo and xiaomi etc)
samsung must realize plastic isnt the enemy,recycled designs and very tacky,cheap feeling and weak plastic(and chipping bezels) are what brings them down ,so does their use of exynos which cannot be romed easily etc
back to ativ/WP,they dont take much effort in making their windows phones unique,it lacks the lumia stuff (like all other non-lumias) but also lacks proprietary software and features
atleast HTC has blinkfeed,dot view case etc which samsung lacks an alternative to
ill give them kudos on the ativs sd card slot and IR blaster though

the M8 is the first non-lumia windows phone which people are excited about and quite understandably its one of the best phones out there overall
i usually dont like htcs windows phones much because they are pricier here and htc has bad service in india but the M8 might change that for the first time for me

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
the reason the ativ is bashed is because samsung arguably doesnt put in an effort in impoving its phones hardware quality and software
ill give them a kudos on the S4 and S5 cameras and the service centres(though they arent the best but atleast there is an option to get a samsung serviced unlike oppo and xiaomi etc)
samsung must realize plastic isnt the enemy,recycled designs and very tacky,cheap feeling and weak plastic(and chipping bezels) are what brings them down ,so does their use of exynos which cannot be romed easily etc
back to ativ/WP,they dont take much effort in making their windows phones unique,it lacks the lumia stuff (like all other non-lumias) but also lacks proprietary software and features
atleast HTC has blinkfeed,dot view case etc which samsung lacks an alternative to
ill give them kudos on the ativs sd card slot and IR blaster though

the M8 is the first non-lumia windows phone which people are excited about and quite understandably its one of the best phones out there overall
i usually dont like htcs windows phones much because they are pricier here and htc has bad service in india but the M8 might change that for the first time for me

TThat's exactly it about Samsung....they do absolutely nothing for the platform despite being perfectly capable with doing so. Thus I and many others don't respect them lol

People automatically equate criticism as hate. While I'd prefer a Lumia only windows phone world ala iPhones As long as these OEMs are bringing something useful and pushing their devices, I am fine with that.

I do give htc props for releasing the m8. I do still think my Lumia is way better but since it is all we are getting likely high end, I am in need of something fresh and new since I've been stick with my 1520 since launch day last November.

So I may get it just tied me over. Of course, flip side...I'm also considering an iPhone presently lol

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy is synonymous with Touchwiz, period. People don't know the underlying OS.

You take away the touchwiz, and people don't recognize it anymore. This is why Samsung is playing with Tizen. They have a familiar look which will make it easy to transition, if they can get a decent ecosystem going.

I never said people are stupid, I said they don't know. Ignorance != stupidity. You are right, they don't know its called Touchwiz. They think Touchwiz is Android, which is my whole point.

I know a lot of people with Galaxy devices, and they don't know the OS. They know touchwiz. They know its something called Android, or Droid, or something, but they don't actually know Android. They automatically think back to a crayola UI and think that is Android. That is all they know. How do I know this? I've brought Nexus devices to them and they are like...what software is that?!?!?! That is the difference from Lumia. Everyone knows what that software is. Anyone who actually knows Android? They know Galaxy is not synonymous with it.

I agree with you. I know a lot of people that have android phones and don't even know what an OS is. Average people don't know about any of that stuff.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you. I know a lot of people that have android phones and don't even know what an OS is. Average people don't know about any of that stuff.

Most of the people I know, know exactly what the OS is, they know that it is a Android. Touch Wiz is the skin and they can make it look different, but many don't know the name of the skin.

They know that different phones from different makers look different because they picked the phone they have from either the carriers, Walmart, Best Buy... and looked at all the different ones.

I was asked about WP when I had mine, and I refused to send anyone to any of those places, but I did send many out to the Microsoft store in the mall....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
People really should stop trying to make "Average" people out to be dumb people.

There is a difference in an Average Joe not knowing if their phone is running the latest and greatest OS version vs a person with no tech knowledge who can barely WORK their phone.

I know Average users who are not on forums like these yet they know they have Android. They may not know what touchwiz is or whatever LG/Sony/Motorola call their skins but they do know what the OS is and they can easily tell you they don't like this phone

I think that's probably the only annoying thing(besides the over sensitive nature people have when they feel the need to be a warrior for the m8 every time you criticize it) is the fact a lot of people in this thread are making "Average Users" sound like they are stupid.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
People really should stop trying to make "Average" people out to be dumb people.

There is a difference in an Average Joe not knowing if their phone is running the latest and greatest OS version vs a person with no tech knowledge who can barely WORK their phone.

I know Average users who are not on forums like these yet they know they have Android. They may not know what touchwiz is or whatever LG/Sony/Motorola call their skins but they do know what the OS is and they can easily tell you they don't like this phone

Nobody said anything about average people being dumb. They are ignorant in this area, which does not mean they are dumb.

I think that's probably the only annoying thing(besides the over sensitive nature people have when they feel the need to be a warrior for the m8 every time you criticize it) is the fact a lot of people in this thread are making "Average Users" sound like they are stupid.

You are just trying to keep your little spat going. Get over yourself. You trolled, people disagreed, and we really don't care anymore.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nobody said anything about average people being dumb. They are ignorant, which does not mean they are dumb.

You are just trying to keep your little spat going. Get over yourself. You trolled, people disagreed, and we really don't care anymore.

You don't care and yet you still use the quote button on me still just to try and challenge and get the last word in(trust me you won't lol)...makes sense
/s

Generally when i dont' care about something, I stop trying to debate it because...Wait for it. I don't care :p
That's cute though<3

Back on topic, I guess I give "Average users" a bit more respect to know they at least know what they are using. Calling them ignorant is no better than calling them dumb, in fact sounds worse, and makes you sound highly arrogant.

Perhaps "less informed" may be a better way of putting it :)

Furthermore, I doubt most of the people in this thread commenting actually have worked in the industry and have sold phones(If you have then forgive me) to customers they call average joes.

This is not 1990s or early 2000s.

People know what they want. People know what they need. People know what they use. They are not as ignorant as you or anyone tries to make them out to be. Tech is becoming a huge part of our lives.

No they can't tell you the exact difference between Sense and touchwiz. But they know Android.

Grandmother's know iPhones...I had an old lady who was at least 70 actually show me up when i was selling her an iPhone back at my old job. I'll never forget it.

"No, that's not how you do that. Let me show you."

LOL they are not ignorant...they are just less enthused about Product than we are and don't spend their time worried about specs. But they do know a lot more than you give them credit for.

Awaits a random BS statement for he/she to get the last word in :p

Also back to the Original message:

I actually spent some time with the HTC ONE M8(Android ) today at Att store and even contemplating buying it. I wanted something new but some issues with our acct screwed it up

(Perhaps destiny was telling me not to go to Android lol)

I am going to be spending this week however living a Non-Lumia live with the M8 for windows just to see what all the hype is about and if it is worthy of a 2nd look to me for when it eventually comes to At&t/

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
ig?no?rance
ˈignərəns/Submit
noun
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about; More
antonyms: understanding, familiarity, knowledge, education
Origin

Middle English: via Old French from Latin ignorantia, from ignorant- ‘not knowing’ (see ignorant).
Translate ignorance to
Use over time for: ignorance

That makes me sound arrogant? LMAO. Do I know the difference? Yup. Do they? Nope. I guess that makes me arrogant, lulz.

Less informed, not informed, ignorant---they all mean the same thing.

People know what they want. People know what they need. People know what they use. They are not as ignorant as you or anyone tries to make them out to be. Tech is becoming a huge part of our lives.

They know what companies tell them that they need. This is marketing and it has been proven time and again that it fuels people's purchases.

Awaits a random BS statement for he/she to get the last word in :p

Nah, you are predictable and will come back to argue some more just for the sake of arguing.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
ig?no?rance
ˈignərəns/Submit
noun
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about; More
antonyms: understanding, familiarity, knowledge, education
Origin

Middle English: via Old French from Latin ignorantia, from ignorant- ‘not knowing’ (see ignorant).
Translate ignorance to
Use over time for: ignorance

That makes me sound arrogant? LMAO. Do I know the difference? Yup. Do they? Nope. I guess that makes me arrogant, lulz.

Less informed, not informed, ignorant---they all mean the same thing.

They know what companies tell them that they need. This is marketing and it has been proven time and again that it fuels people's purchases.

Nah, you are predictable and will come back to argue some more just for the sake of arguing.

Of course, I enjoy arguing and i find you amusing. It's adorable :p It's a highlight of my time when i log on to WPC knowing you'll always try to discredit/debate whatever I say. I has a fan.

Anyway to get back on more serious topics....I made a post about my experience with Att :)
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...soft-needs-do-so-much-better.html#post2763698

i was so happy to hear them at least be a little upbeat with discussing the M8 for Windows. It's not a Lumia but at least they showed interest in a Windows Phone :p

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Most of the people I know, know exactly what the OS is, they know that it is a Android. Touch Wiz is the skin and they can make it look different, but many don't know the name of the skin.

They know that different phones from different makers look different because they picked the phone they have from either the carriers, Walmart, Best Buy... and looked at all the different ones.

I was asked about WP when I had mine, and I refused to send anyone to any of those places, but I did send many out to the Microsoft store in the mall....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Maybe most of the people you know are from a younger generation. My dad, aunts, mom don't know. Frankly they don't have to know, it doesn't make them stupid, they're just ignorant to those things. Hell, half the people that work at the vzw store don't know what touch wiz is, or versions of android etc.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Maybe most of the people you know are from a younger generation. My dad, aunts, mom don't know. Frankly they don't have to know, it doesn't make them stupid, they're just ignorant to those things. Hell, half the people that work at the vzw store don't know what touch wiz is, or versions of android etc.
LOL... I am sorry... I got a good chuckle out of your post..

I'm almost 60 but I do know quite a few younger people than myself.

I fully agree with you on the majority of Verizon sales people, those whom I have had the displeasure of dealing with are some of the most rude and yet ignorant people who sell phones to the public.

Every person I do know who uses a Android phone knows exactly what it is though. Many use Samsung, some Motorola, some use HTC.

Now I don't mean that they understand as much as I do but they certainly know full well that they are using Android. Most aren't power users like myself, but love to see everything I have and when possible to help them with theirs. Most of them never root or run custom roms, but do like to be able to different launchers, so they like to see what I think about different ones, as well as for music and video files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster