How much does it cost Microsoft mobile?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency 😉 and until someone tells me otherwise, Gringos don't eat arroz con frijoles. I do love me some Dunkin Donuts coffee (that's another thread) and yes, I am a US citizen.

That doesn't change the fact that you don't want to recognize the fact that your circle may not be diverse enough or old enough to have been in meeting rooms where PDAs were ubiquitous. As xandros reminded me, PocketPC was another popular term used to describe PDAs.
Sent from a Fire Engine Red Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I know this is not contributing much to what the OP originally asked for but just to add something to the discussion, I agree to what DJCBS and xandros have posted, the PDAs were called Pocket PCs (see what i did there?) in India. I've never heard anyone calling it a PalmPilot, may be that was a US only thing? May be because PalmPilots were so famous in the US, people started calling all PDAs/Pocket PCs as PalmPilot (similarly to how majority of less tech savvy folks still call a MP3 player as an iPod)?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency �� and until someone tells me otherwise, Gringos don't eat arroz con frijoles. I do love me some Dunkin Donuts coffee (that's another thread) and yes, I am a US citizen.

That doesn't change the fact that you don't want to recognize the fact that your circle may not be diverse enough or old enough to have been in meeting rooms where PDAs were ubiquitous. As xandros reminded me, PocketPC was another popular term used to describe PDAs.
Sent from a Fire Engine Red Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

LOL Just don't tell that to the Congress (well, theoretically all US states could be independent. Though only Texas could sustain itself in case of independence.)

See, I didn't object that people could call PDA's "Palm Pilots". What I objected was your generalization when my experience in Europe, North Africa and South America is that no one called them that. It's really not a "my circle". My circle never even used PDA's. We went from Nokia's "dumbphones" to post-iPhone smartphones (this was when a lot of my friends left Nokia but I stubbornly remained =P)
However I did travel a lot, I did use a lot of mobile phones (remember those that had a monstrous case attached to them?) and never ever have I hear anyone or seen in any place mention to "Palm Pilots". Not even my late father, who was an IBM and then Microsoft employee, called them "Palm Pilots".
I even told you why that could happen in Europe. So while I don't dispute that Americans may be accustomed to call them "Palm Pilots" (like you and xandros9), I do dispute that it was "commonly known". If you had added "commonly known in the US", I would never had disputed that. ;)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
LOL Just don't tell that to the Congress (well, theoretically all US states could be independent. Though only Texas could sustain itself in case of independence.)

See, I didn't object that people could call PDA's "Palm Pilots". What I objected was your generalization when my experience in Europe, North Africa and South America is that no one called them that. It's really not a "my circle". My circle never even used PDA's. We went from Nokia's "dumbphones" to post-iPhone smartphones (this was when a lot of my friends left Nokia but I stubbornly remained =P)
However I did travel a lot, I did use a lot of mobile phones (remember those that had a monstrous case attached to them?) and never ever have I hear anyone or seen in any place mention to "Palm Pilots". Not even my late father, who was an IBM and then Microsoft employee, called them "Palm Pilots".
I even told you why that could happen in Europe. So while I don't dispute that Americans may be accustomed to call them "Palm Pilots" (like you and xandros9), I do dispute that it was "commonly known". If you had added "commonly known in the US", I would never had disputed that. ;)

Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, cigarette companies sent reps to bars giving out free packs of cigarettes. The reps really did have Palm Pilots. They had the customer sign his or her name using the stylus after collecting the customer's information.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, cigarette companies sent reps to bars giving out free packs of cigarettes. The reps really did have Palm Pilots. They had the customer sign his or her name using the stylus after collecting the customer's information.

Were you one of those cute little barflies? C'mon, you can tell us.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Were you one of those cute little barflies? C'mon, you can tell us.

I actually knew a Philip Morris rep. He was a neighbour who lived in the same apartment building as one of my friends. I don't remember his name, nor does my friend. We just referred to him as "cigarette guy".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb