att 920, 8.1, and cyan

Ralph Casimir

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
For all the US AT&T 920 users, who still use this forum and have a twitter account:

I posted this on the ATT Community in a thread where 920 owners are screaming for cyan. Of course, no response from AT&T.

Let's take this PUBLIC. We may not be a huge number, but a even 100 negative tweets shared exponentially with all our followers, will get more attention from AT&T than whining here in WPCentral (which I doubt they even know exists).

Get on Twitter and let's use a single hashtag... #ATTdoesntcare. Tweet daily. Perhaps if everyone who is following us reads about AT&T's concern (or lack thereof), AT&T's marketing department will start hammering the engineering department.

I can't find a twitter account for Glenn Lurie, who was appointed CEO of AT&T Mobility two days ago, but be sure to include @ATT in your tweets so they get copies of every angry word.

This was my first tweet:

@ATT is turning a deaf ear to customers demanding updates to @windowsphone. I just want BT LE. #ATTdoesntcare

Feel free to copy and paste. And please add a comment in this thread if you're willing to become an activist.

Anyone who wants to get more info for other devices should try this too. We're not entirely against the wait, just at the lack of info.

dcbakkk

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think there are likely a couple of reasons for the delay.

I've heard from a couple of sources, including someone posting on another thread here at WPCentral, that AT&T phone support has been swamped with problems from people who have already gotten Cyan. If this is true, I can understand them wanting to delay the rest of the updates until after the holiday weekend.

The other thing I noticed is that AT&T appears to have assisted MS with restarting the Cyan updates for people in the Preview for Developers program, based on AT&T being first out of the gate with them. If so, they had to divert resources to do it, likely the ones involved in testing the 820 and 920 updates.

If these ideas resemble reality, I'd expect the 820 and 920 updates to come out this week, and apply to both PfD participants and regular users on WP 8.0. If we don't get it this week or those of us on PfD have to wait longer, I'll have to shop for a better crystal ball.

There's no official notice. And you don't know what is att doing for 920 cyan update.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
There's no official notice. And you don't know what is att doing for 920 cyan update.

Nope, just trying to make educated guesses, purely speculative, since AT&T hasn't told us anything. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

could you provide links or explain who your sources are?

My sources are informal. Someone I know, Android user, called AT&T for support, long wait, service rep made excuse that they get swamped with calls whenever phones get updated, he asked what had been updated as he hadn't gotten anything, she said Windows phones. The other source was someone in a thread here on WPCentral saying that AT&T support was busy with service calls because of the updates. I don't have time right now to dig around for a link, sorry, and I don't know the person, so can't vouch for him or her.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
No, ATT support is being swamped by STUPID people who don't know how to use all the new features of 8.1. 8.1 and Cyan are JUST FINE.

Actually, AT&T is being swamped by 1020 users with the official cyan and 8.1 update which has caused the 1020 to freeze during charging, along with random freezes on a regular basis. There are now active forum discussions about this on WPCentral, Microsoft, and Nokia support. It's possible that AT&T is trying to resolve those issues before they rollout the 920 cyan/8.1 update.

dcbakkk

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, AT&T is being swamped by 1020 users with the official cyan and 8.1 update which has caused the 1020 to freeze during charging, along with random freezes on a regular basis. There are now active forum discussions about this on WPCentral, Microsoft, and Nokia support. It's possible that AT&T is trying to resolve those issues before they rollout the 920 cyan/8.1 update.

If they are trying to resolve some problems, so also the wasted time is too long, if it is, it's hard not to doubt their techno capability.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If they are trying to resolve some problems, so also the wasted time is too long, if it is, it's hard not to doubt their techno capability.

Oh, at this point I can assure you most of the 1020 users are very much doubting that technical capabilities. It's incredibly frustrating. The fact that even in the official Nokia and MS support forums, no one from either MS or Nokia under MS has even responded to acknowledge the problem despite a very high number of people reporting it is even more infuriating.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
actually, at&t is being swamped by 1020 users with the official cyan and 8.1 update which has caused the 1020 to freeze during charging, along with random freezes on a regular basis. There are now active forum discussions about this on wpcentral, microsoft, and nokia support. It's possible that at&t is trying to resolve those issues before they rollout the 920 cyan/8.1 update.

bull**** bull**** bull****.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

My wife has had the cyan update since microsoft fixed the DP upgrade issue....she hasn't complained about it one time doing anything weird

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife got the 1020 update. Her camera stopped working entirely. She called ATT support, and they tried to help her, but could not resolve the problem. They told her to call Nokia, and she they could not help her, they had her send the phone to them. Luckily she had an old Samsung to use otherwise she would be completely without a phone for over a week.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
if there was a widespread problem with the updates, they would have posted articles here and across the Internet about it. fact is the updates are rolling out WORLDWIDE without problems, and it is only the US carriers being assholes.
Hi Inteller:

I wish that were true, but if you look at the 1020 forums, you'll it's a worldwide problem. I initially thought it was limited to AT&T because I have 2 of them, one on Rogers ROM, and that one is perfect, while the AT&T one is not, but when I posed the question on the support discussion, many others from around the world posted they have similar issues.

See: Phone issues with Lumia 1020 after update to 8.1 - Microsoft Community

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
ok so for someone who has been a 920 user since Nov 2012, is it worth getting the developer preview?
I would rather wait for the cyan update because its the official release and hopefully all the quirks are worked out.
It sounds like the developers preview has given users battery life issues on the 920 and that's not something I am going to trade off just for a new os.

Is there any news of the update coming up in the next few weeks? If not, I would take it as a slight from both Nokia/AT&T because they didn't do what they can for the consumers who decided to try WP8 from the beginning.
Given IFA and the iphone release coming up very soon, wouldn't be surprised if disgruntled 920 users moved on to another non WP device.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
if there was a widespread problem with the updates, they would have posted articles here and across the Internet about it. fact is the updates are rolling out WORLDWIDE without problems, and it is only the US carriers being assholes.

Only the US carriers who restricts their customers ability to fully use their devices. So no wonder many people there always have issues. Why bar Qi charging and other stuff when the phone's supposed to do that naturally, wouldn't stopping certain features in a device cause it to not perform optimally all because the US carrier says so and then their workers get upset when you call them for help for a situation probably created by their "BOSSES".

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Inteller:

I wish that were true, but if you look at the 1020 forums, you'll it's a worldwide problem. I initially thought it was limited to AT&T because I have 2 of them, one on Rogers ROM, and that one is perfect, while the AT&T one is not, but when I posed the question on the support discussion, many others from around the world posted they have similar issues.

Only natural when you decide to open the features in the 41mp beast and expect that with the "old" processor and specs that it would perform wonderfully.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Inteller:

I looked at the forums and it is a sporadic problem AT BEST. None of the issues are the same or consistent. It boils down to people have **** on their phones that needs to be hard or soft reset and they will go away.

The other problem is people upgrading from dev preview and, despite Microsoft's best intentions, going from beta software to production software NEVER works.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The other problem is people upgrading from dev preview and, despite Microsoft's best intentions, going from beta software to production software NEVER works.

DP is not beta, it's the full release so you're a little off base there. What we are waiting for is the #Cyan firmware. As to the sporadic 1020/920 camera issues you are correct. People's phones get abused on a daily basis. Drops, installs, a host of different software installed and configuration variables. Inevitably something will cause an error. Let's go #ATT the entire world has released #Cyan for our #Lumia 920's. If you can't get the job done farm it out to #India. They seem to know what they're doing.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OMG stop. It's beta. dev preview is and has been subject to bugs. Just look at the Bitlocker problem. There have been numerous updates to dev previews to fix BUGS because guess what, it is a PREVIEW, a BETA, not the final thing.

None of this matters AT ALL to the fact that the 920 Cyan RTM is FINE and people all over the world are using it....ATT needs to GET OFF THEIR *** and push the ******* button to release it.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
OMG stop. It's beta. dev preview is and has been subject to bugs. Just look at the Bitlocker problem. There have been numerous updates to dev previews to fix BUGS because guess what, it is a PREVIEW, a BETA, not the final thing.

According to everything I've read, the Developer Preview is the same as the RTM version of the software. The only difference is that if signed up for the preview, you could get it earlier than the official release and it didn't include any manufacturer/carrier firmware. The version numbers for the OS were the same whether on developer preview or updated through your carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb