att 920, 8.1, and cyan

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
well, I just got a reply from ATT twitter that It should be real soon and that they are trying to get 8.1 out asap to all of their devices.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
According to everything I've read, the Developer Preview is the same as the RTM version of the software. The only difference is that if signed up for the preview, you could get it earlier than the official release and it didn't include any manufacturer/carrier firmware. The version numbers for the OS were the same whether on developer preview or updated through your carrier.

"Is the same" or "was the same"? Key is, for a short time the latest dev preview had the same build as the current release version. Keywords, "for a short time".. If you install the "Preview for Developers" app now you are going to get updates beyond the 8.1 "RTM" as you referenced it.

With that said, be careful.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the forums and it is a sporadic problem AT BEST. None of the issues are the same or consistent. It boils down to people have **** on their phones that needs to be hard or soft reset and they will go away.

The other problem is people upgrading from dev preview and, despite Microsoft's best intentions, going from beta software to production software NEVER works.

Ok, can you then perhaps explain to me if the issues are so sporadic, why I'm now on my third Assurion replacement and it's exhibiting the exact same freezing while charging issue even though I did not recovery from backup and left the phone stock?

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the forums and it is a sporadic problem AT BEST. None of the issues are the same or consistent. It boils down to people have **** on their phones that needs to be hard or soft reset and they will go away.

The other problem is people upgrading from dev preview and, despite Microsoft's best intentions, going from beta software to production software NEVER works.
Do you really think people haven't tried hard or soft reset? Had you actually read the forum posts? Most people have done multiple reset attempts. Look, I'll not arguing with you that att is pathetic. I agree with you on that part. But to say that the 1020 users just don't know what they are doing our had **** on their lives is just bs. Most of these folks are WP due hard fans who upgrades at full retail from the 920 to the 1020. Frankly, of ask the groups involved trying to resolve this issue, the most pathetic has been Nokia US support. They keep suggesting the same old hard reset move that I've done over and over on 3 different devices now as if that's the only possible solution and there's no way that the update is defective.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
a 1020 doesn't have wireless charging built in, only through an accessory. So if there is a problem with wireless charging and Cyan the problem could exist with a revision of the charging plate, not Cyan itself.

and bottom line, 1020 problems have NOTHING to do with the 920, so to hold up one over the supposedly failure of another defies all logic.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Now that Cyan is finally here for the 920 on AT&T I have a question. I know that for users currently on the Dev Preview will have to either wait for a fix or rollback to WP 8 using the Nokia tool. I am on the Dev Preview and have 8.1 but I do not have Update 1 and do not want Update 1 at this time. Also I do not want to do a rollback.

When the official Cyan Dev Preview fix finally comes what do I need to do to get Cyan without Update 1?

Currently I still have the Preview for Developers app on my phone and it is enabled and I keep getting notices saying that I have an update available but I'm pretty sure that is for Update 1. Do I need to disable the Preview for Developers app once Cyan is available on the Dev Preview?

Thanks!

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Now that Cyan is finally here for the 920 on AT&T I have a question. I know that for users currently on the Dev Preview will have to either wait for a fix or rollback to WP 8 using the Nokia tool. I am on the Dev Preview and have 8.1 but I do not have Update 1 and do not want Update 1 at this time. Also I do not want to do a rollback.

When the official Cyan Dev Preview fix finally comes what do I need to do to get Cyan without Update 1?

Currently I still have the Preview for Developers app on my phone and it is enabled and I keep getting notices saying that I have an update available but I'm pretty sure that is for Update 1. Do I need to disable the Preview for Developers app once Cyan is available on the Dev Preview?

Thanks!

When the fix is released, you should get the normal update to Cyan and 8.1. If you don't want the PfD Update, just disable, or even uninstall, PfD beforehand. In fact, do it now and you'll stop getting the update notices that you don't want. Enabling the update notices for PfD releases is all that the PfD app does - disabling or uninstalling the app will not change the release of Windows Phone running on your phone.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
When the fix is released, you should get the normal update to Cyan and 8.1. If you don't want the PfD Update, just disable, or even uninstall, PfD beforehand. In fact, do it now and you'll stop getting the update notices that you don't want. Enabling the update notices for PfD releases is all that the PfD app does - disabling or uninstalling the app will not change the release of Windows Phone running on your phone.

I disabled the preview for now but what happens when they release the Cyan fix for those on the preview? Do I need to enable it again or just download the OTA carrier update? Guess we'll see once they release a fix. I just don't want to rollback to 8 and I really don't want 8.1.1 right now. No rush for Cyan either as it really does not bring anything special to the 920.

Thanks.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I disabled the preview for now but what happens when they release the Cyan fix for those on the preview? Do I need to enable it again or just download the OTA carrier update? Guess we'll see once they release a fix. I just don't want to rollback to 8 and I really don't want 8.1.1 right now. No rush for Cyan either as it really does not bring anything special to the 920.

Thanks.

My understanding is that once they release the production Cyan update for PfD, you should get it whether you have PfD turned on or not, as that's a production release, not a PfD release. I don't have a link to point to for that, though, so I could be wrong. If you don't get it when the announcement goes out, then you can turn PfD back on for long enough to get Cyan, just turn it back off when it offers you GDR1 afterward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05