Weak cell signal??

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I was at the golf course yesterday and we were in the clubhouse trying to outwait the rain. I was going to check the weather radar and noticed that I had one-bar and the data speed had dropped to 1G.

So asked a few friends that have Verizon phones to check theirs, and all of them were 3 or more bars and still showing LTE, including one guy with an Icon. So after this I went to the Verizon store and the tech said, probably a bad SIM card. Personally I thought that was BS, but didn't argue. He changed it out and showed me the 4 bars in the store and said 'fixed'. Of course, you always get at least 3 bars there regardless of Verizon phone, so that isn't a test at all.

Today I went to the course and the same issue, one-bar and something slower than LTE. So the SIM card isn't it.

I had read that changing the SIM from Global to CDMA+LTE might help, so I did that but no change.

So is the weak cell issue for all HTC One M8 phones, or is this just mine??

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I saw your posts about that. My wifi is great.

But admittedly the only place I've used it is at home and at the golf course clubhouse.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I saw your posts about that. My wifi is great.

But admittedly the only place I've used it is at home and at the golf course clubhouse.

Not my posts ;)

The wifi works ok, I just found "almost" dead spots in my home which never happened before. It could also be the craptastic router though.

Does Windows Phone have a way of seeing cell strength other than bars?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this. I realized my sim was set to global, so changed it to LTE/ CDMA. Can help battery life. My signal seems very good you may have a bad device for RF. I'd do some further checking by keeping an eye on it. Maybe return if needed. So far not on my M8, but other phones the bars would drop or 1x would pop up and id still have great speeds and no call issues. So was like the sig bars just went wonky for a bit.

Does Windows Phone have a way of seeing cell strength other than bars?
I would like to know the answer to this ^ as well

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
OK, things are fine now.

Took the phone to the VZ store, they faunched around a bit but finally said that they could swap to a new HTC One for Zero dollars, or switch brand of phone for $35 restocking fee.

And then of course, they started the pitch about how none of the reps in the store like Windows phone and I oughta get an Android phone. I fairly kindly told them I didn't care if anyone else in the world liked Windows phones or not and that it wasn't anything I asked about. Then a little less kindly I told them where they could put all the Android phones I'd ever seen.

In the end I got a replacement for zero dollars. The new one gets better bars at my home and at the golf course (I swung by to test!). And I noticed something I hadn't seen before, or don't remember seeing, and that is Verizon Messages setting in apps.

Setup was dead simple. Setup the email account with MS login/password, wait for syncing. Goto windowsphone.com and reinstall all apps I had purchased.

The only thing I'll have to do manually is set up my custom ringtones.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I was at the golf course yesterday and we were in the clubhouse trying to outwait the rain. I was going to check the weather radar and noticed that I had one-bar and the data speed had dropped to 1G.

So asked a few friends that have Verizon phones to check theirs, and all of them were 3 or more bars and still showing LTE, including one guy with an Icon. So after this I went to the Verizon store and the tech said, probably a bad SIM card. Personally I thought that was BS, but didn't argue. He changed it out and showed me the 4 bars in the store and said 'fixed'. Of course, you always get at least 3 bars there regardless of Verizon phone, so that isn't a test at all.

Today I went to the course and the same issue, one-bar and something slower than LTE. So the SIM card isn't it.

I had read that changing the SIM from Global to CDMA+LTE might help, so I did that but no change.

So is the weak cell issue for all HTC One M8 phones, or is this just mine??

I had an HTC One M8 Android version on Verizon, I had the same reception problem you have described here in your post. Tried changing Sim cards, didn't help, I finally just sold the phone on Ebay. Personally, I think it has something to do with the all metal construction, but that is just my opinion.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I had an HTC One M8 Android version on Verizon, I had the same reception problem you have described here in your post. Tried changing Sim cards, didn't help, I finally just sold the phone on Ebay. Personally, I think it has something to do with the all metal construction, but that is just my opinion.

The thing is, his replacement is fine, and so is mine.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, his replacement is fine, and so is mine.

Thanks, that is good news, I really liked the phone and was happy to see them come out with a Windows version, my personal phone is on AT&T and I think I am going to give it a shot when it becomes available.

Hristo Todorov 1987

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I've the same problem with the signal! I'm a seaman and travelling at the hole world. This voyage I'm travelling between Greece and Georgia. Sometimes Russia. I've internet sim card from Greece, turkey, Georgia and Russia. Before I use Samsung Galaxy S3 and every where 3G. But Before one month I buy Nokia Lumia 1520- yellow, the best telephone for me. But after few days I start losing signal. Problem with the signal is really big problem for me because that's my way to connect with my family. Tell me what to do? To go to the store from where I bought or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I've the same problem with the signal! I'm a seaman and travelling at the hole world. This voyage I'm travelling between Greece and Georgia. Sometimes Russia. I've internet sim card from Greece, turkey, Georgia and Russia. Before I use Samsung Galaxy S3 and every where 3G. But Before one month I buy Nokia Lumia 1520- yellow, the best telephone for me. But after few days I start losing signal. Problem with the signal is really big problem for me because that's my way to connect with my family. Tell me what to do? To go to the store from where I bought or what?

Probably should ask on a 1520 forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss