Switching to VZ tomorrow, Icon or M8?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Either, they're both great! Play with them and see which one you like. Icon strengths are camera and wireless charging, the M8 has SD card support, front speakers and 8.1.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how long you want to keep it, 6 months, more than a year.

6 months: icon
1 year or more: M8 because it has expandable storage

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, you should go check them out in person.

Otherwise compare needs vs differences:

Lumia costs less vs M8
Snapdragon 800 vs 801. Therefore Lumia is slightly worse in CPU, GPU, RAM, and battery life performance. The GPU sees ~30% improvement, but considering the S800 GPU isn't tapped yet, that doesn't really matter.
Lumia back camera is better
M8 has sd card support
Plastic vs Aluminum
Stereo external speakers vs mono

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
For me Id go with M8, since I have a point in shoot for the nice family pics :). Also would depend on if a 2 yr contract or not. I have T-Mobile so can upgrade again in 6 months if next latest greatest comes, but I might would think differently if was going to get stuck with a 2 yr agreement.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't switch to Verizon if at all possible,but that's just me.

If having a better camera in your phone and being limited to the amount of storage is what you want...go with the Icon...

If you want a great phone with the best sounds,sd card..go for the m8.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Broad and Market

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually in the same boat as I'm about to get kicked off the family plan that my dad has with AT&T. I'm leaning Verizon now that they are offering the 1gb of extra data and they have better coverage than T-Mobile and more WP options. Right now I'm leaning Icon but I don't love the way it feels in my hand.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait and see what the 830 is if you can-might be the best compromise between the 2. Personally I like the extra storage of the HTC, however I would miss the Qi charging. I will say the Lumia 822 (glance support, 16gb memory, sdcard, Qi wireless charging) with 8.1.1 dev preview is awfully nice still. Maybe pick up a cheap used one until all the new phones are released?

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Do the Pro/Con test and pick your needs!
Icon Pros
Camera
Wireless charging
Nokia Support

M8 pros
Newer technology
Expandable storage
Better case selection

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
go for the m8
it will help other oems think that they can also sell windows phones challenging the dominance of Nokia.
Also the for view case is stunning!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I would go for the Icon, however I would recommend you see the comparison Pocketnow has done between the Icon and HTC One M8 for Windows. It depends on your preferences, but I would go for Icon.

LuckeeeShot

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
For people who keep saying wireless charging. I had a 920 with wireless charging and thought i would miss it. However I got a charging cradle and its better then wireless because I can use my phone on the cradle and you can use lightweight cases with it.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Icon all the way! That is a kick *** device! My wife just gave up her GS4 and got one. Helping her during the setup, I realized how nice it is.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't dismiss the Ativ SE.

Why? I dismissed it early on in my research. Overpriced and austere compared to either the Icon or M8 imo.

I chose M8 for a few reasons. The camera quality is good enough for the little I'll use it and it is the latest and greates in all other respects imo. Wireless charging wasn't on my list of things to care about either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven