newbie camera terminology

nicknack86

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought a Lumia 930 to replace my 920. I've got a question about the camera settings. In the settings (capture mode) it says JPEG ( 5 MP + 16 MP) What does that mean exactly? Does the camera take a 5 MP and 16 MP picture? and if so, are the pictures that are saved in the phones gallery 5 MP or 16MP??

I also don't understand what (5 MP + DNG (16 MP) means. Is DNG a better quality than the original setting? thanks if anyone can help me

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
DNG is a raw file format that is saved directly from the camera sensor, no compression or jpeg settings of any type applied. It allows you to do your own editing in a program like Adobe Lightroom instead of having the image compressed before editing, which preserves much more of the detail in the lightest and darkest areas of the photograph.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought a Lumia 930 to replace my 920. I've got a question about the camera settings. In the settings (capture mode) it says JPEG ( 5 MP + 16 MP) What does that mean exactly? Does the camera take a 5 MP and 16 MP picture? and if so, are the pictures that are saved in the phones gallery 5 MP or 16MP??

I also don't understand what (5 MP + DNG (16 MP) means. Is DNG a better quality than the original setting? thanks if anyone can help me

Hi there. First of all,congrats on your 930.
Second how the camera works. So its very simple.....
In capture mode,you get the options of,
1-5 MP
2-5+16 MP (Note that 1 & 2 are .JPEG)
3-5+16 MP DNG

The No.1 is a normal 5 mp shooter so nothing extra.
No.2 is like this, you capture a 5 mp and a 16 or 19 mp (depending on aspect ratio). This is dual capture in which the 5MP one is shared through FB,WhatsApp,Skype etc whereas the 16 one can be used for unlimited reframing. Now when you capture it you get the option of reframing which is in simple words cropping but WITHOUT THE LOSS OF IMAGE QUALITY. In cropping, when you a crop a pic e.g a sunset with desert scenery, you crop the whole desert till the sun is left. So you can only share that part only while in reframing when the same process is done you can bring the whole desert back by zooming or cropping out. It will be old as new.
The DNG format is used to in Adobe PhotoShop. It's the same image as JPEG but it can be edited without any loss of image quality but it comes at a cost. A normal 5+16 mp JPEG will be around ~15MB whereas a 5+16 DNG will be ~40 MB so that's a bug difference.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6