Saying goodbye to my icon

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So I really like the icon is such a great windows phone, but in the last days my phone has gone crazy with the phantom touches, rendering the phone useless during the time the touches appear, i have soft reset the phone and hard reset the phone during the time with the problem and the touches don't go away, so right now i'm a little disappointed with the phone and looking for a replacement :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

is it possible that with cyan the problem gets fixed??

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector installed? some make them touchscreen go crazy when not properly installed.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
But is not just the phantom touches, during the period of craziness if you turn the phone off and try to turn it on it will fail to boot (after the Verizon screen or just turn off again, or restart, once it got stuck in the Verizon screen), when the phone asks for my pin, the screen is unresponsive and only works if I turn the screen off and on .
And after that period it will work normally, until it wants to start with the phantom touches again 😢😢

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So I really like the icon is such a great windows phone, but in the last days my phone has gone crazy with the phantom touches, rendering the phone useless during the time the touches appear, i have soft reset the phone and hard reset the phone during the time with the problem and the touches don't go away, so right now i'm a little disappointed with the phone and looking for a replacement :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

is it possible that with cyan the problem gets fixed??

Is there any chance the phone could have gotten wet? That's exactly what my Samsung focus did after my wife got the wet

rkiels

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've actually had a similar experience and I echo your frustration. Man is it ever aggravating! However, it seems to have somehow worked itself out and I haven't had any phantom touches for a couple months. It will sometimes have the same unresponsive screen that you've experienced that's quickly fixed by turning the screen off and on like you stated. But that hasn't happened in over a week. I wish I had more hopeful news by way of a fix, but all I can really offer is consolation that you're not alone and there's hope yet that it'll work itself out. BTW, I don't, nor have I ever, use a screen protector.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Wife's 1020 had this when her screen protector peeled off a little.
I changed it and it got normal again.
Enviado via Nokia Lumia 1020

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Take off the screen protector and i'd almost guaranty that your problems would go away.

The name of this thread should be "Saying goodbye to my screen protector."

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have had problems with other phones when using a screen protector and it turned out that the screen protector was interfering with the proximity sensor causing the phone to act erratically, removing the screen protector fixed the problems in my case

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Say, "Goodbye!", to screen protectors. They are, in my opinion, unnecessary, if you take care of your phone. Yes, you will get finger prints and smudges on the screen, but those can be taken care of with the appropriate screen wipes. Just be aware of where you put your phone and take care of its physical appearance. Don't man handle it like it's nothing. I've heard of so many people dropping their phone, cracking the screen, and other things. I know those things can happen unexpectedly, but they would happen much less if people were more conscious of what they are doing. It's a valuable investment, so take care of it. Besides, it looks so much more nicer without a screen protector. It doesn't really need one, if you are its screen protector.

Last edited:

Admorris

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Get back to me in a few months. Unless your screen never comes in contact with a grain of sand, you will regret that decision down the road. I understand if you have an Icon, as the screen is curved on the edges and impossible to get a nice dry, smooth protector. If you have a flat screened phone however, there is no excuse mot to get one. I have the new M8 for windows, and you would be hard pressed to tell there was anything on there. I solely use iSmooth protectors for all my phones btw.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I always have used screen protectors and never had a problem, the screen protector is perfectly attach, is not peeling in any place

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've actually had a similar experience and I echo your frustration. Man is it ever aggravating! However, it seems to have somehow worked itself out and I haven't had any phantom touches for a couple months. It will sometimes have the same unresponsive screen that you've experienced that's quickly fixed by turning the screen off and on like you stated. But that hasn't happened in over a week. I wish I had more hopeful news by way of a fix, but all I can really offer is consolation that you're not alone and there's hope yet that it'll work itself out. BTW, I don't, nor have I ever, use a screen protector.

I had the same problem before, and it too got out of it for a few months until this last days when it came back and is worse than before 😢

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Get back to me in a few months. Unless your screen never comes in contact with a grain of sand, you will regret that decision down the road.
It really depends on how you take care of your phone. Never used a screen protector, never regretted it. So your statement isn't a one size fits all. Amazingly enough some of us don't have the urgent need to text while in caustic places. If your one who does then by all means use protection.
Ive seen kids riding bikes down the street one handed, texting. Skateboarding, while texting. Common sense is not so common for some. Ever been in a coffe shop and seen some young kid with a phone that looks like it got run over by a tank? He probably needs a screen protector. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the nokia recovery tool?

The last ditch attempt would be the nokia care centres if you have any local, otherwise the M8 is a decent upgrade (minus the camera, lack of qi and dedicated camera button).

It really depends on how you take care of your phone. Never used a screen protector, never regretted it. So your statement isn't a one size fits all. Amazingly enough some of us don't have the urgent need to text while in caustic places. If your one who does then by all means use protection.
Ive seen kids riding bikes down the street one handed, texting. Skateboarding, while texting. Common sense is not so common for some. Ever been in a coffe shop and seen some young kid with a phone that looks like it got run over by a tank? He probably needs a screen protector. :)

I don't have a screen protector on my phone either and until recently I used to have a ?1 tpu gel case. The only time my screen got scratched was due to an inverted paper clip being in extremely close proximity to the screen in my pockets, this happened last year. In the 22 months I had my 920, it has gotten scratched once, dropped an insane amount and not a single dent. Goes to show all you really need a decent gel cover and an extremely cheap one will do the same job as a branded one.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Get back to me in a few months. Unless your screen never comes in contact with a grain of sand, you will regret that decision down the road. I understand if you have an Icon, as the screen is curved on the edges and impossible to get a nice dry, smooth protector. If you have a flat screened phone however, there is no excuse mot to get one. I have the new M8 for windows, and you would be hard pressed to tell there was anything on there. I solely use iSmooth protectors for all my phones btw.

Six months with my Icon. Not a single scratch. I tried hard to find one. Couldn't.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Actually, the opposite is true. For the vast majority of users there is no reason to ever use a screen protector. I am an archaeologist and know quite a bit more than most about the places dirt can get and I have never used a screen protector. Try climbing around backhoe trenches and excavation units; spending years in dust storm prone parts of the southwestern United States, documenting/examining sites abandoned for a millennia; hiking for miles across desert and mountain terrain; documenting abandoned historic buildings, etc. etc., and then talk to me about dirt. The simple application of common sense and careful handling are more than sufficient to avoid scratches. Accidents do happen but those do not generally result in scratches; they leave you with a broken phone. My career has given me a surgically repaired ankle, two fused vertebrae in my lower back, three fused vertebrae in my neck, plus the odd parasitic infection and a case of Lyme disease but I have never broken or even scratched a phone screen. Screen protectors are an unnecessary accessory and a great example of how advertising can convince people they need something they can easily do without.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss