Lumia 930 heating and battery draining.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you have a defective device but let me assure you, if you're going to have the camera in the background for an extended time it WILL get hot and the battery life WILL suck. Mine has no heating or draining issues but the camera is a powerful tool that does suck battery pretty heavily and does make the processor work. So really, IMO, if you actually close the camera and then you have normal temperatures and good battery there is no problem.

Understand what you are saying but the camera was only an example.

I had the issue with HERE maps in the background and also Facebook as well.

I have now updated to the official Update 1 of WP 8.1 and the issue seems to have gone away so far. I have left things in the background and the phone has not heated up at all. The battery drain under normal usage has also improve as well. Looks like they have change a bit of the scheduler in update 1 which has made this improvement.:smile:

I am continuing to monitor the situation and if anything changes I will post the result.

Regards

Infinidim

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same heating/super fast battery drain problem, but it's only when I'm using the phone.
I use Viber a lot to msg friends overseas. 15~20 mins of chatting on viber and the phone could fry eggs and the battery (during that time) drops 20% or more, i.e. will got from 100% to 80%. Facebook, though I don't do much with that, will also heat up the phone and cause rapid battery drain, and that's just scrolling through and looking at the newsfeeds and some of the photos that my friends put up.
I've had the phone for less than a week and will probably return it and get a Lumia 830 or 735 instead. I know that hardware specs aren't the same, however I also have a little Lumia 635 and it has the same hardware specs as the 830 and 735 (830 has more ram though) and it's extremely snappy, super battery life and does not get hot.
I tried an Lumia 925 for a week or so and had the same heating/super fast battery drain problem and a friend had, for a short time, a 1020 and had the same problem.
I suspect that MS/Nokia simply doesn't have everything (firmware etc) tweaked yet for the SnapDragon 800.
The quad core 400 running at 1.2 is cool, long battery life and snappy.

Basically I consider the 930 (or at least the one that I have) unusable for my usage (same as the 925 was).

Fred

itsJuicy

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Have mine since launch and I never had any problems with heating or lag.
It might be defective, but you might have problems because of apps or the way you use the phone.
Try to reset the phone and install the minimum of apps necessary.
Close the apps by pressing the back key, and don't let them run in the background.
Long press on back key, and close the apps from the background.
The battery on my phone lasts almost 2 days on normal use (email, whatsapp, text messaging, web browsing, casual gaming).

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Understand what you are saying but the camera was only an example.

I had the issue with HERE maps in the background and also Facebook as well.

I have now updated to the official Update 1 of WP 8.1 and the issue seems to have gone away so far. I have left things in the background and the phone has not heated up at all. The battery drain under normal usage has also improve as well. Looks like they have change a bit of the scheduler in update 1 which has made this improvement.:smile:

I am continuing to monitor the situation and if anything changes I will post the result.

Regards

Infinidim

Glad things are going better for you, it's a great phone. Keep us posted!:)

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
After the update, the 930 temperature is similar to 920.

It becomes very hot during here drive usage if the screen is on (just turn it off and let here drive in background), or playing intensive CPU games.

In other situations like YouTube play it stays cool.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Try to understand that "apps" don't run in the background, only file transfers and audio reproduction can. but "apps" can run under lockscreen. So, by using the windows key and having the home screen under your lockscreen you are set, applications can be stuck doing something anyway, but the os should take care of that, it doesn't always happen, but every application can behave like that anytime

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
After the update to my Lumia 930 I haven't had the sudden battery drain or overheating.

So things are looking good so far.

I'm still monitoring

Regards

Infinidim

mazubo

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the international 930 online, and I'm glad to hear that the latest update seemed to fix the issue!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk 2

ezapp

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Just another confirmation. I've just updated my 930 and the heating and battery draining seems to get better. Now my phone can last from 7AM to 8PM, which is acceptable to me. But it's still so much hotter than my previous 820.

Hope MS will make better flagship phones.

shryx86

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this conversation, but I bought a 930 from Hong Kong and shipped it to the US. I'm having the battery drain issue. The about section in settings says Denim is installed, so I believe update 1 is too. I've restarted the device several times but still have the issue. I took the back cover off and noticed a heat spreader that was in the YouTube video wasn't in my device. Their device was an Icon, so the components could've changed. I'm going to do a full reinstall of the OS and see if that fixes the issue. I'm also having the heat issue. I believe it's the heat causing the battery drain and not the OS, but I'll see after the reinstall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb