09-05-2014 10:43 PM
209 1234 ...
tools
    Don't cry, there will be other phones that will support Asphalt 8.
    Its a bummer though that we have to wait when this 830 should have been able to outperform the 820 when it comes to gaming.

I can live without glance so 930 my next phone will be.
    This phone will only appeal to people coming from 5/6/7 series or blind fanboys.
    09-04-2014 07:21 AM
    According to Paul Thurott, both phones will not be available in the US.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...ories-firmware
    09-04-2014 07:28 AM
    Yes I too believe Lumia 830 will fail like Lumia 820.but Lumia 730 will bring all the market share for wp 8.it I truly a mid range superman from branded oe.hail Lumia 730.lumia 830 killer.
    09-04-2014 07:32 AM
    Its a bummer though that we have to wait when this 830 should have been able to outperform the 820 when it comes to gaming.
    So you're one of those, who are always waiting and expecting a camera with rainbow horses instead of flash, right?
    Again, you get what you pay for. You want to play games, but you don't want to pay for it.
    09-04-2014 07:34 AM
    One word: 630

This phone, as beautiful as it may be, costs more then 3 times the 630, yet includes the same CPU.

Sure there are marginal upgrades like 1GB of RAM, better cameras, and a slightly nicer display, but who will pay THAT much more for a handful of upgrades and a similar, if not identical experience?

The 830 is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I want it... Just not at the $350 US (approx) price point.

That is nexus money for what is most certainly NOT a flagship device.

That leaves me to my last point, and that is the marketing. This is the first time I have watched a presentation by MS/Nokia and felt genuinely misled. The word flagship should never have been uttered, and this phone should have been $199.

Congrats on another dud, MS.
    When the 830 was announced with those amazing specifications I thought that it might put my Nexus 5 to shame.

The camera on the 830 could be possibly better however this isn't the best bang of the buck device that you can get for $350.

I am a bit disappointed, but on the plus side it has a nice design.
    09-04-2014 07:35 AM
    People definitely expect way too much for way too less money.
    Remember, for a quality product, you get what you pay for.
    I don't know. Except for the camera, the 730 is almost the same phone, but it costs $200 less. It's hard to explain why the 830 should be worth that much more. I can't. Can you?

Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes? MS could even have added that $30 on top of the 830's current asking price, and all of WPC would still be raving it.
    KhawarNadeem, Etios and Brana like this.
    09-04-2014 07:37 AM
    Just wait a few months after its release and the price will come down. Just like Lumia 820.
    09-04-2014 07:37 AM
    According to Paul Thurott, both phones will not be available in the US.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...ories-firmware
    If this is true. I'm getting iPhone 6. I'm as loyal as you can get but with a L920 on AT&T I have had enough. Money's not even an issue for me as I'm looking to buy an off contract flagship anyway, but right now I literally have the money in my hand with no next step product to get. If MS/Nokia comes out with anything before iPhone 6 gets old I'll consider coming back then.
    09-04-2014 07:39 AM
    So you're the kind of person that likes devolution.

Price isn't an issue for me concerning the 830.
    Its a step back from the 820 when it should have been an improvement.
    I'll be upgrading to a 930 when I am able to contract wise.
    Just disappointed that my 820 can run GT Racing 2, Halo Spartan Assault acceptably and the 830 won't.

Heck I want an orange 930 so i'll have to buy it off contract.

Pathetic attempt really
    09-04-2014 07:40 AM
    I don't know. Except for the camera, the 730 is almost the same phone, but it costs $200 less. It's hard to explain why the 830 should be worth that much more. I can't. Can you?

Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes? MS could even have added that $30 on top of the 830's current asking price, and all of WPC would still be raving it.
    Oh please, not again specs.

General consumer doesn't care about specs (almost). And you will never find the best of the best of the bang for the buck, because of different manufacturers, OEMs, OS, etc.

BTW speaking about specs, what's the prime cost of the iPhone 5s and SGS5? And what's their actual price please..?
    09-04-2014 07:42 AM
    So you're one of those, who are always waiting and expecting a camera with rainbow horses instead of flash, right?
    Rainbow horses?????

Sorry cream puff but you way off the mark there!!!
    09-04-2014 07:43 AM
    Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes?
    yeah maybe.. or maybe with a SD800 the phone is too thin to handle the heat? I'd like to think there is a technical reason behind that, but we will never know it for sure :( Hopefully someone in berlin had this question too..
    09-04-2014 07:46 AM
    Rainbow horses?????

Sorry cream puff but you way off the mark there!!!
    You said you had to wait (I don't know for what). Nobody did promise you nothing for the 830, so why didn't you buy something that already exists? Even on a different platform, huh?
    That's what I'm saying.
    09-04-2014 07:47 AM
    You said you had to wait (I don't know for what). Nobody did promise you nothing for the 830, so why didn't you buy something that already exists? Even on a different platform, huh?
    That's what I'm saying.
    Have to wait for MS to give us a decent phone that has all the features like SD card, glance etc upgraded CPU/GPU.

The 830 is a nice design and more pleasing to my eye than the 930 but thats not really important.

I wished they had kept the 830 in line with the 930 like they did back with the 820/920 but since general consumers like you don't care about specs so MS can fool you with flagship marketing BS.

Since nothings on the horizon a 930 it will be come December.

Orange :)
    Brana likes this.
    09-04-2014 07:59 AM
    Have to wait for MS to give us a decent phone that has all the features like SD card, glance etc upgraded CPU/GPU.

The 830 is a nice design and more pleasing to my eye than the 930 but thats not really important.

I wished they had kept the 830 in line with the 930 like they did back with the 820/920 but since general consumers like you don't care about specs so MS can fool you with flagship marketing BS.

Since nothings on the horizon a 930 it will be come December.

Orange :)
    You can find everything in the 1520 (even the touch issues lol).
    09-04-2014 08:03 AM
    You can find everything in the 1520 (even the touch issues lol).
    Too big to fit in pocket when riding MTB listening to tunes.
    Touch issues are a manufacturing fault that affects some 1520 users.
    If you not scared of disassembling your phone there is a fix for that.
    09-04-2014 08:05 AM
    Too big to fit in pocket when riding MTB listening to tunes.
    Touch issues are a manufacturing fault that affects some 1520 users.
    If you not scared of disassembling your phone there is a fix for that.
    Yeah, its size is usually a con for the pockets.
    09-04-2014 08:08 AM

General consumer doesn't care about specs (almost). And you will never find the best of the best of the bang for the buck, because of different manufacturers, OEMs, OS, etc.

BTW speaking about specs, what's the prime cost of the iPhone 5s and SGS5? And what's their actual price please..?
    I don't think it's that easy - especially for a system how NEEDS TO BE BETTER/CHEAPER to succeed. The average joy may not care but the salesman does ("What, a 830? - It doesen't even have FULLHD but the Note 4 has QHD, and such a slow SoC"). Markest proove again and again that WinPhones where only sucessful when they really offerd something special (920 - wireless charging, pure-view, sensitive touch up-to-date specs) or where priced competitive (520). The 830 is just "nice" and more-or-less fairly priced - THAT WON'T be enough.
    09-04-2014 08:12 AM
    There is a big jump in functionality between the 830 and 630. Now, between the 830 and 735, not so much. Better camera, wireless charging, slightly bigger screen seems to be about it. I'm not sure they are going to be enough to tempt people to spend an extra €110 (and despite complaints that marketing the 73x as the selfie phone is banal and trite, it is exactly this marketing plus it's low price that is going to make it fly off the shelves)
    09-04-2014 08:18 AM
    The problem I see, is that Qualcomm doesn't have anything in between a snapdragon 400 and a snapdragon 800.
    you either have a high end chipset, or a low end. No middle ground. There is a snapdragon 600, but anyone with any tech knowledge KNOWS that chipset is a rebranded Snapdragon S4 quad core paired with an adreno 320 GPU (yes that's right, this so-called midrange chip is actually the quad core version of the chips found in the 92x series and the 1020).

BEsides, if you look at the competition, they do the same thing. You have a high end flagship status handset, and everything below it has low end internals.......you wouldn't know it cuz its all branded the same (galaxy S5 mini, htc One mini, etc).

Im not gonna argue why it will or will not fail, cuz I honestly don't know, and I have a 930 and this 830 would **** me off if it came with the SD800 for half the price.....
    09-04-2014 08:20 AM
    I don't think it's that easy - especially for a system how NEEDS TO BE BETTER/CHEAPER to succeed. The average joy may not care but the salesman does ("What, a 830? - It doesen't even have FULLHD but the Note 4 has QHD, and such a slow SoC"). Markest proove again and again that WinPhones where only sucessful when they really offerd something special (920 - wireless charging, pure-view, sensitive touch up-to-date specs) or where priced competitive (520). The 830 is just "nice" and more-or-less fairly priced - THAT WON'T be enough.
    The problem is much more complex than the price & features.
    It's much more about perception. Just look at the iPhone: quite expensive, not so much features (fingerprint sensor, really?), but the perception is much much better.
    09-04-2014 08:21 AM
    Agreed. The 830 is simply not a flagship, even though it looks pretty great for around $400. I just cracked my 920's digitizer (though it's still perfectly usable, just annoying) and was hoping to upgrade to a new handset. However, for the price, while it's fine, it doesn't seem as good a value as getting another 920 since you can now get it for around $200. The 920 has a better CPU and screen while the 830 is thinner and lighter... used to the 920 as I am, I think I'd rather spend half the money to get a phone that's just as good as the 830.
    09-04-2014 08:23 AM

You are completely missing the point.

It's not about convincing the average consumer. It's about convincing the store rep, the enthusiast, and the tech press. Those are the people that ultimately help Joe consumer decide which device to purchase, and Joe won't be getting this if it doesn't come recommended by them!

Nobody is expecting the best bang for your buck on top of the line devices. But neither is this such a device.

Again, can you explain what it is that justifies the price premium over the 730? I can't.

On the other hand, it's $100 shy of being firmly in flagship territory, yet there is little about it that suggests that is where it belongs.

I'm sure it's a great device with a lot of high quality peripheral hardware. It's just that at $440, it lacks marketability.
    09-04-2014 08:27 AM
    This is basically a 920 that was released 2 years ago... Nothing special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-04-2014 08:34 AM
    Meanwhile, the One Mini is another tough comparison, as it's again not found anywhere in this country. It sells for a bit over the 830, but that's not a big deal beyond saying it's similarly overpriced.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., there is a direct comparison. The Moto G carries a Snapdragon 400, and it rolls out the door in an 8-GB model for $219. I don't see anything in the 830 to justify a price $200 (or more) higher.
    The HTC One Mini 2 sells on Verizon as the HTC Remix. It's a nice phone, and it retails for $449. So the pricing for the 830 is in line with this phone.

The Moto G is a great deal. No question. But I see the 730 contesting with the Moto G, not the 830.
    rafal soboczynski likes this.
    09-04-2014 08:49 AM
209 1234 ...