09-05-2014 10:43 PM
209 12345 ...
tools
    I can't believe they are calling it an affordable flagship... Well for one, it would be a flagship if it was your best phone, but the 930 and 1520 are better, and it only has 16gigs of memory and a S400 chip. I wish the insides were better :(
    09-04-2014 08:52 AM
    The HTC One Mini 2 sells on Verizon as the HTC Remix. It's a nice phone, and it retails for $449. So the pricing for the 830 is in line with this phone.

The Moto G is a great deal. No question. But I see the 730 contesting with the Moto G, not the 830.
    Another issue that Microsoft is facing with WP is that even with all else being equal, to the general public Android is still more desirable than WP. It's 30x more popular, has more apps and thus more functionality, and has had more time for recognition and maturity. In order to even start to compete, a WP device will have to sell cheaper than its Android equivalent. And let's face it, with the Moto G/E, Nexus devices, and newcomers like Oneplus One, that's going to be very difficult to do.

Contracts are another issue. Most flagships sell in the $100 - $200 range on contract. That serves to equalize the pricing of almost all high end devices, including the latest iPhone and Samsung phablet.
    09-04-2014 09:00 AM
    I love how some people seem to be taking criticisms really poorly. Okay, right now, Nokia event is already done, there are still going to be MANY MANY companies giving their speeches, and MANY phones are going to be released.
    The HTC desire 820 for example, has a 5.5 inch HD screen, with a 64bit processor, 13mp camera (i know the 830 might be a teeny bit better but who cares), 2gb of ram and an expected lower price tag. If im an average consumer, then all my friends are already using Android which means im already leaning towards Android, WHY SHOULD I GET AN 830? I see 0 reasons. Absolutely 0 reasons. Or i could pick up and old nexus 5 with an 800 processor which would KILL the 830.
    I can even hear the voices of the pocketnow people who were doing a hands on for the phones and they sound very disappointed.
    Now with that said, the 730 looks like a product that is actually worth the money.
    Oh, and I also find the comparison between the iphone 5s and galaxy s5 to be embarrassing as hell for Nokia, they havent touched on anything about the performance of the phone throughout the whole speech, they didnt even state the ppi. They just talked about how the 830 is cheaper than an S5 and an iphone 5s. Like wtf? Its cheaper yes, but other than the camera department its not better.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-04-2014 09:01 AM
    With the 820, it was largely a case of substance over style. It may not have looked like much, but "she's got it where it counts" (or did, when it was released.

With the 830, it's largely style over substance. The design and materials are great, but that SD400 is a huge disappointment when I look down market to the Lumia 630 and see the same basic SoC (albeit w/out LTE). Maybe I can't get passed the CPU to appreciate the camera, removable battery and sd card support. Maybe I'm wrong about being underwhelmed. Then again, there's always hoping that this ends up being $250 by the holidays.

Right now, though, I see a lot of compelling options from android that have more competitive specs and prices. This is unfortunate because I really want to stay with a WP device.
    Shawn Magm and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-04-2014 09:06 AM
    Every time a new phone has been released I always hear the same complaints, ...no removable battery, no sd card slot. oh and sometimes no metal frame.
    Maybe Microsoft is listening. I'm actually impressed with this effort, maybe a little disappointed that it didn't have 20mp camera but 10mp pureview is good. Removable battery, still with wireless charging, and expandable memory up to 128gb. All that and thinner and lighter. I'd say this is a big step in the right direction.
    sahib lopez and Dazzi like this.
    09-04-2014 09:20 AM
    I love how some people seem to be taking criticisms really poorly. Okay, right now, Nokia event is already done, there are still going to be MANY MANY companies giving their speeches, and MANY phones are going to be released.
    The HTC desire 820 for example, has a 5.5 inch HD screen, with a 64bit processor, 13mp camera (i know the 830 might be a teeny bit better but who cares), 2gb of ram and an expected lower price tag. If im an average consumer, then all my friends are already using Android which means im already leaning towards Android, WHY SHOULD I GET AN 830? I see 0 reasons. Absolutely 0 reasons. Or i could pick up and old nexus 5 with an 800 processor which would KILL the 830.
    I can even hear the voices of the pocketnow people who were doing a hands on for the phones and they sound very disappointed.
    Now with that said, the 730 looks like a product that is actually worth the money.
    Oh, and I also find the comparison between the iphone 5s and galaxy s5 to be embarrassing as hell for Nokia, they havent touched on anything about the performance of the phone throughout the whole speech, they didnt even state the ppi. They just talked about how the 830 is cheaper than an S5 and an iphone 5s. Like wtf? Its cheaper yes, but other than the camera department its not better.
    That sums it up all. Market will show if we are correct but i'm really scared it will proof we are right. I can see the 730 as a medium-scale sucess, but upper midrang and highend territory is totally lost this season - as it was already in 2013 with the phatetic 925&1020 linup.
    09-04-2014 09:24 AM
    Every time a new phone has been released I always hear the same complaints, ...no removable battery, no sd card slot. oh and sometimes no metal frame.
    Maybe Microsoft is listening. I'm actually impressed with this effort, maybe a little disappointed that it didn't have 20mp camera but 10mp pureview is good. Removable battery, still with wireless charging, and expandable memory up to 128gb. All that and thinner and lighter. I'd say this is a big step in the right direction.
    Yes, you are right. AND EVERY TIME since about the 920 and with the exeption of the clever 520 PEOPLE COMPLAINING WHERE RIGHT and ALL DEVICES FAILED more-or-less. 925, 720, 1020, ICON/930 ...

WinPhone has to deliver MORE - not LESS or the same - it's hard, but it won't work otherwise. As already stated the 830 isn't a bad device BUT NOTHING SPECIAL (even the cam may be decent/above average but given the sensor size no way it will blow up other phones by fare), IT DELIVERS NO MUST HAVE for a 350$/300€ phone.
    09-04-2014 09:29 AM
    If priced correctly, especially in the US with the contract carriers like VZW and AT&T, this phone can sell. Some people don't understand that what Nokia has done is use merely upgrade all the phones it has laid out in its portfolio with the 530, 630, 730, 830 and 930. That is smart in that it buys them time to really come up with something on the high end market and put out devices that may age a bit better than the previous S4 chip set.

People forget that these companies are in it to make money. Right now if MSFT add enough stuff to the OS on this newer hardware, these phone may have a better chance. Personally, I like the line they drew: 7x and down don't get the Pureview Tech, with 8x and up does. And for all the people talking about a Nexus killer, please understand that the Nexus phone is meant to be a developer phone first - a chassis reference point for Android. I've owned, rooted and tested stuff on all 5 Nexus models to this point - any real android enthusiast will tell you that.

If priced correctly, this will fare better than the 820/822/810 before it.
    rdubmu likes this.
    09-04-2014 09:56 AM
    Every source I've checked (including Thurott) has said this phone is not coming to the US. If you believe GSM Arena (and I do), the frequencies are not LTE compatible in the US. They were not trying to impress the American market with this phone. It's for Europe and Asia. Maybe mid market phones like this sell better there? Who knows. But for now,I keep waiting. This ticked so many boxes for me, but the old processor and non-US LTE are deal breakers.
    09-04-2014 10:01 AM
    Right now, the word is that the 830 (and 735/730) will not be coming to the US.. apparently "global" does not include the US...
    shame - was looking for a TMo compatible phone... now may have to wait again.
    Paul Thurrot is reporting this...
    in text later in the same article he does mention the following:

"I know what you're thinking. What about the United States?! What about a new flagship device, especially on AT&T or whatever carrier you prefer? I asked these questions, of course. But there's nothing to say yet: These three phones, the two accessories, and Denim are what Microsoft is announcing this month"

I bolded the text above myself... curious he said that - and in a tweet he also mentions it being suicide to announce a flagship phone around the Apple IPhone 6 announcement... whether you agree or not - he does then later state that the 830 is not what he would call a flagship.
    Interestingly, he mentions that he was able to handle the 830/735 last week and his articles are based on that even though he isnt at IFA

Are we looking at an announcement/introduction in October?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...ories-firmware

09-04-2014 10:04 AM
    I, along with the vast majority of the general public could not care less what the specs are.

If it looks good and functions well I'm happy.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
    snowmutt, sahib lopez and Warbler like this.
    09-04-2014 10:09 AM
    Basically, this phone exists for people who don't want a 6" 1520, but are screwed by the lack of a 930 on AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint in the U.S. It's a phone of last resort, and it's a damned shame.
    Basically, me -_-. I own a 1520.3 and the size is a bit cumbersome. Really not sure if I'm ready to give it up for the 830's slue of inferior internals.
    09-04-2014 10:16 AM
    Basically, me -_-. I own a 1520.3 and the size is a bit cumbersome. Really not sure if I'm ready to give it up for the 830's slue of inferior internals.
    sadly it might not even be that, as it seems like it won't be coming to US at all.

I don't know what's going on, but the last good phone Microsoft has released for US was the ICON this past Feb. It's funny how they are making all the low-end phones supposedly for "emerging markets" but providing no higher option for US.
    hasasimo and sketchy9 like this.
    09-04-2014 10:27 AM
    sadly it might not even be that, as it seems like it won't be coming to US at all.

I don't know what's going on, but the last good phone Microsoft has released for US was the ICON this past Feb. It's funny how they are making all the low-end phones supposedly for "emerging markets" but providing no higher option for US.
    I'm just now reading all the talk about it not coming to the U.S. or even being equipped with U.S. LTE bands if we wanted to import it. I was so geeked up for this thing after watching the announcement live, and now that the marketing dust has settled and the reality of it is showing, I really am quite disappointed.
    09-04-2014 10:37 AM
    While I agree about the underwhelming processor, the typical consumer wouldn't really see past through the camera and screen.

I'm not stereotyping but a lot of people have asked me to pick a phone for them and that's all they need EVEN if you try to explain the technical specs.

The 830 isn't revolutionary but it really isn't meant to be. The SD 400 processor would do just fine with WP.

Also a bump from 512 to 1GB of RAM, a MUCH better camera and a definitely better display is definitely worth the larger price tag. I also should mention that 1GB of RAM basically lets you fiddle with all of the Apps in the store.

Another thing I want to reiterate is that the Nexus line is cheap in the US but wildly inflated throughout the rest of the world. The Nexus 5 when it was released was priced as much as the GS4 and the M7 in my country, not really a bang for buck phone.. Maybe in the US but outside the US it really isn't.

The phone would sell but we should not expect too much from it. It will not fail, it will probably sell like the typical WP handset. The 730/5 on the other hand has a more promising future.
    09-04-2014 10:47 AM
    It checks boxes that people want to see when looking at the kiosk in the mall.

Quad-Core - check
    HD - check (whatever that means now)
    Removable battery - check
    Image stabilization - check
    Zeiss - check
    Expandable storage - check

The "real" specs don't mean much. #retinadisplay

This is my wife's next phone. I will order it off-contract and unlocked if I have to. Anxious to see what the expensive flagship will be.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-04-2014 10:55 AM
    I, along with the vast majority of the general public could not care less what the specs are.

If it looks good and functions well I'm happy.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

If all people in the world had your attitude wp would be the leading OS.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-04-2014 11:26 AM
    L830 will fail because Moto G have same processor with same resolution.

The only thing L830 have is better Camera.

Tomorrow Moto G2 will announce and it has every thing identical as L830 except camera & still cost $200.

I don't think L830 would be successful.
    It's just become an overpriced phone
    yes motog2 and L830 specs are similar but only few specs like screen size, resolution, prcessor(according to leaked specs of g2) and price wil be nearly 250USD but we shuld keep in mind that Pureview tech might be a cosltlier one than standard 8mp then we have wireless charging, the curved glass, that mattlic work in body these things will put effect on the price of L830 and after all it is near to a premium phone and quality also matters. so we cant say that L830 is so much overpriced phone.
    09-04-2014 12:16 PM
    While I agree about the underwhelming processor, the typical consumer wouldn't really see past through the camera and screen.

I'm not stereotyping but a lot of people have asked me to pick a phone for them and that's all they need EVEN if you try to explain the technical specs.

The 830 isn't revolutionary but it really isn't meant to be. The SD 400 processor would do just fine with WP.

Also a bump from 512 to 1GB of RAM, a MUCH better camera and a definitely better display is definitely worth the larger price tag. I also should mention that 1GB of RAM basically lets you fiddle with all of the Apps in the store.

Another thing I want to reiterate is that the Nexus line is cheap in the US but wildly inflated throughout the rest of the world. The Nexus 5 when it was released was priced as much as the GS4 and the M7 in my country, not really a bang for buck phone.. Maybe in the US but outside the US it really isn't.

The phone would sell but we should not expect too much from it. It will not fail, it will probably sell like the typical WP handset. The 730/5 on the other hand has a more promising future.
    +1 for that.

But in my country all devices are overpriced, I bought a Nexus 5 for $400 and I could've bought a Lumia 920 or 820 instead.

I'm pretty sure 830 will be above $450 when it arrives here, and barely anyone pays that much here for a Windows Phone.

Alas, the 830 had potential.
    09-04-2014 12:34 PM
    yes motog2 and L830 specs are similar but only few specs like screen size, resolution, prcessor(according to leaked specs of g2) and price wil be nearly 250USD but we shuld keep in mind that Pureview tech might be a cosltlier one than standard 8mp then we have wireless charging, the curved glass, that mattlic work in body these things will put effect on the price of L830 and after all it is near to a premium phone and quality also matters. so we cant say that L830 is so much overpriced phone.
    That's list of features only a gimmick.
    Nobody will bother to look at or atleast know about it(normal users).
    L830 is only a mid range phone with premium pricing tag.

Anyway what WP need is competitive pricing which they aren't doing.
    I can bet on it neither L830 or L730 would able to beat Moto G2 sales unless they do something about pricing.
    09-04-2014 12:37 PM
    Stop the nonsense moto g 2 is same as moto g. Except for 5 inch screen nd 8 mp camera.
    09-04-2014 12:41 PM
    Stop the nonsense moto g 2 is same as moto g. Except for 5 inch screen nd 8 mp camera.
    & same price too.

although G price goes down by now but G2 pricing would be same as G at the time of lauch

and by the
    L730 & L830 is same too except fo 10MP camera & 5Inch screen.LOL!
    09-04-2014 12:51 PM
    Do Microsoft/Nokia even know about incremental increase in specifications from low to high end?

What if I'm interested in selfies as well as photography? 830 has better rear camera. 730 has better front camera. Do they expect me to buy both? I mean what's with niche phones? Why cant they release an all around phone for every price point. Glance in one, no glance in other. Equalizer in one, missing in others. Missing sensors. Missing SD card slots. Rich audio recording in some, missing in others. Dolby licensing in some, missing in others.Then using same chipset in every price point with same clock speed. I mean what are they even thinking?

Personally, if I want a phone both for selfies and good photography than I'll opt for 730 over 830. Why? Because 6.7mp vs 10mp isn't much of a difference but 730 has f/1.9 which has an edge. Both have Zeiss lens. Only advantage of 830 is OIS plus a couple of more pixels. But again it has 1mp front camera. Same chipset and cost a fortune more. Figuratively speaking.
    830's biggest opponents aren't nexus5 or MotoG. It is 730. They failed the emphasis on photography when they put 1mp front camera on a phone with a relatively great rear camera.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    09-04-2014 01:01 PM
    & same price too.

although G price goes down by now but G2 pricing would be same as G at the time of lauch

and by the
    L730 & L830 is same too except fo 10MP camera & 5Inch screen.LOL!
    Here in india moto g is discontinued by flipkart.only moto g 2.
    09-04-2014 01:07 PM
    Do Microsoft/Nokia even know about incremental increase in specifications from low to high end?

What if I'm interested in selfies as well as photography? 830 has better rear camera. 730 has better front camera. Do they expect me to buy both? I mean what's with niche phones? Why cant they release an all around phone for every price point. Glance in one, no glance in other. Equalizer in one, missing in others. Missing sensors. Missing SD card slots. Rich audio recording in some, missing in others. Dolby licensing in some, missing in others.Then using same chipset in every price point with same clock speed. I mean what are they even thinking?

Personally, if I want a phone both for selfies and good photography than I'll opt for 730 over 830. Why? Because 6.7mp vs 10mp isn't much of a difference but 730 has f/1.9 which has an edge. Both have Zeiss lens. Only advantage of 830 is OIS plus a couple of more pixels. But again it has 1mp front camera. Same chipset and cost a fortune more. Figuratively speaking.
    830's biggest opponents aren't nexus5 or MotoG. It is 730. They failed the emphasis on photography when they put 1mp front camera on a phone with a relatively great rear camera.
    Agree lumia 830 going to fail just like lumia 820 because of lumia 730.
    09-04-2014 01:09 PM
209 12345 ...