Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
One word: 630

This phone, as beautiful as it may be, costs more then 3 times the 630, yet includes the same CPU.

Sure there are marginal upgrades like 1GB of RAM, better cameras, and a slightly nicer display, but who will pay THAT much more for a handful of upgrades and a similar, if not identical experience?

The 830 is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I want it... Just not at the $350 US (approx) price point.

That is nexus money for what is most certainly NOT a flagship device.

That leaves me to my last point, and that is the marketing. This is the first time I have watched a presentation by MS/Nokia and felt genuinely misled. The word flagship should never have been uttered, and this phone should have been $199.

Congrats on another dud, MS.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess what is really frustrating to me is this could have been a nexus killer if they had packed it with an 800 at the $300 price point. Or an off contract king, with 630 internals in a nice housing for a bit more ($200). But instead they settled for mediocrity, and they put wayyyy to much emphasis on the "affordable flagship" tag.

And now its going to be review as a flagship! D:

Aniruddh Sharma1

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
While I agree they could have done better with the CPU but an amazing camera (from the presentation), perhaps the best front camera, wireless charging and I hope it will have a great battery life too make it a good buy.
How much it sells, only time will tell though.

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
BETTER design, Pureview Camera, capctive navigation buttion, qi charging, flash etc etc there are lots of features which will obviously make it costlier than L630.... and the fail will b only becoz of lack of knowledge about windows phone in people who jst go and buy an android!

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Similar experience with 630? I don't think so. With that rich post capture experience, it is certainly offering new experiences on the table that you might could have experienced only by buying a flagship device.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the lighter weight compare to 820. The gorilla glass 3, built in wireless charging, 16 GB internal memory (as compared to measly 8GB for 820), bigger battery, pureview camera, better front camera, and better display.
I don't play games that much so S400 quad core is fine.
On the other hand I find 730 has more attractive design.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, if Google can sell the Nexus phones AT COST then nothing's stopping Microsoft from making a device with zero profit margins, and make money from the remaining 530/630/730/930. Honestly, if the 830 came as a Nexus killer, a TRUE affordable flagship, it would have sold in spades.

This thing, with that design, could have been the star of the Lumia line (more beautiful than 930!) instead of some confused not-really-budget-not-really-high-end device. Want an S400 at low cost and 5MP front camera? Get a 730. The 830 would have been an entirely different beast.

Wielbladek

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Calling 1 GB ram & better cameras the "marginal updates" in the world of Windows Phone is ridiculous. With this parameters you do actually have a whole package for what Windows Phone can do, plus the probably best camera for the price. This whole CPU discussion makes me laugh. My Lumia 920 runs the apps the same way Lumia 930 do (I tested it, had a chance for exchange 920 for 930 and decided against it , because of L920 form factor). Windows Phones do not need to be overpowered to perform great. That is the greatest advantage to Android phones, and with premieres of L730 & L830 it still stayed that way.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I think you're right about the presentation part. This kind of self-promotion is just aweful. "Perception lacks reality" (when referring to the App availability), I'm not entirely sure but I guess this is possibly the worst statement I've heard in a while. I would say "Perception IS reality", so if the first thing that come's to people's mind is that there are many Apps missing you better get out of your ivory tower and start changing that. And please, stop cheering about how many hours you spend in the office because honestly nobody cares.

As for the devices and the other features announced today I'm OK with the direction they are heading. Both the 730 and 830 are lovely devices and I support the ongoing focus on distinguishing Lumia devices for outstanding camera capabilities. I'm also positive about the Skype announcement, though they definitely need to step up their efforts on the WP version.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
the fail will b only becoz of lack of knowledge about windows phone in people who jst go and buy an android!

No, this is just a craptacular statement. I research this stuff quite a lot before I make a decision, and the day one reveal tells me that this phone blows...at best. A Nexus will run circles around it, from a performance standpoint. This honestly might not be a significant SoC improvement over the 820, despite the market lie of being a "flagship." You're getting a 2-year-old phone with a better camera and higher resolution, that's what it sounds like. The memory, CPU, and GPU don't compete with the alternatives in the market, and that's what will kill it.

I mean, I've often said that I'd sooner give up using a smartphone than go back to Android (and iOS, I'd give up a phone altogether before using). However, I'm sitting here wondering what going from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 830 would even mean. We've seen nothing to suggest that the SoC is an improvement. I'm on AT&T, meaning that I wouldn't get wireless charging with the 830. The display resolution is worse. There's microSD support, but half the internal storage (and 32 GB in the 920 is fine for me, so I don't need the microSD slot). The camera's resolution isn't substantially better.

We're talking about a phone that would have looked great in 2012, but looks low-end in 2014. If this is anything more than free on-contract in the U.S., it's overpriced, seeing as the Icon has dropped to $100 on-contract already. Basically, this phone exists for people who don't want a 6" 1520, but are screwed by the lack of a 930 on AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint in the U.S. It's a phone of last resort, and it's a damned shame.

Ilasor

May 7, 2013
Visit site
A Nexus will run circles around it, from a performance standpoint.

But on the other hand, the more expensive HTC One mini 2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 mini feature nearly the same CPU with the same "lowend" performance. With the 830, you pay less and get a much better camera. Looks like a not to bad deal.

dipankar_mitra

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Being a previous 820 owner, I think 830 seems to be a good improvement, and I may consider buying (although not just yet, as I just switched to Android). 8GB internal memory was a big issue in 820, and the 16 GB on 830 is a good addition. Camera was always better than the Androids and iPhones (IMHO), but the improved Pureview one is welcome too! However, lack of AMOLED means that Glance screen wont make it to this? That's a shame, if true.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
L830 will fail because Moto G have same processor with same resolution.

The only thing L830 have is better Camera.

Tomorrow Moto G2 will announce and it has every thing identical as L830 except camera & still cost $200.

I don't think L830 would be successful.
It's just become an overpriced phone

Last edited:

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
If the display is the same one as on 1520 it will give a better battery than using AMOLED. AMOLED does not save battery if you use the phone to browse the internet. I am a user of 820 and I know that 820 battery backup is not that good but 1520 has such a good battery backup.
And I agree with you on the 16GB internal memory, it is a welcome addition even though we can now save apps on SD card, some apps require you to store on internal memory. I am interested in the camera capability as well as I read that you can adjust the brightness after you shot the pictures.
BTW, 1520 can use glance as well.

Being a previous 820 owner, I think 830 seems to be a good improvement, and I may consider buying (although not just yet, as I just switched to Android). 8GB internal memory was a big issue in 820, and the 16 GB on 830 is a good addition. Camera was always better than the Androids and iPhones (IMHO), but the improved Pureview one is welcome too! However, lack of AMOLED means that Glance screen wont make it to this? That's a shame, if true.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Problem is, the camera isn't anything "amazing" at all.

The sensor size is a total average smartphone sensor 1/3.4" with f2.2. That's like a Galaxy, iPhone or anything else. I know that the optics and other features like a very good OiS will make it a nice camera, shurely in the range of high end phones, but it won't be thaaat special.

That overall combination makes it a "nice", but nothing special phone. Problem is, that's NOT enough for WinPhone.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But on the other hand, the more expensive HTC One mini 2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 mini feature nearly the same CPU with the same "lowend" performance. With the 830, you pay less and get a much better camera. Looks like a not to bad deal.

That's not really a defense, though. Your defense is that other low-end phones cost more, but that doesn't change the fact that marketing this as "high-end" is an utter lie. For starters, all I can find on the S5 Mini is that it rolls with an Exynos SoC, and I can't find it available in a U.S. market to find out if it has a Qualcomm alternative like the Samsung stuff usually does stateside.

Meanwhile, the One Mini is another tough comparison, as it's again not found anywhere in this country. It sells for a bit over the 830, but that's not a big deal beyond saying it's similarly overpriced.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., there is a direct comparison. The Moto G carries a Snapdragon 400, and it rolls out the door in an 8-GB model for $219. I don't see anything in the 830 to justify a price $200 (or more) higher.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
According to Engadget one interesting feature in the new Lumia Camera is the ability to take two pictures: One with flash and one without. When editing the final image, it offers a slider that lets you change the flash effect up in the picture. In other words, if the flash was too bright but the image is too dark without the flash, you can now tweak the end result to somewhere in-between.

Problem is, the camera isn't anything "amazing" at all.

The sensor size is a total average smartphone sensor 1/3.4" with f2.2. That's like a Galaxy, iPhone or anything else. I know that the optics and other features like a very good OiS will make it a nice camera, shurely in the range of high end phones, but it won't be thaaat special.

That overall combination makes it a "nice", but nothing special phone. Problem is, that's NOT enough for WinPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb