Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess what is really frustrating to me is this could have been a nexus killer if they had packed it with an 800 at the $300 price point. Or an off contract king, with 630 internals in a nice housing for a bit more ($200). But instead they settled for mediocrity, and they put wayyyy to much emphasis on the "affordable flagship" tag.

And now its going to be review as a flagship! D:
Your OP was ok, but asking for S800 on a $300 price is just too much. Please don't make nexus an example, this **** cost like 450 for 16G at launch in most of the market.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
People definitely expect way too much for way too less money.
Remember, for a quality product, you get what you pay for.

While your right regarding an S800, problem is, that WinPhone has to be AT LEAST EQUAL or better regarding good Droid offers to be sucessfull.
A S400 for 400$ or 350€ after taxes just won't do it. And only a above camera won't do it, because many don't care and Android has them too.

And THIS ONE doesen't make it. In fact i see the 730 as the much more competive product, this one is a FAIL.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
While your right regarding an S800, problem is, that WinPhone has to be AT LEAST EQUAL or better regarding good Droid offers to be sucessfull.
A S400 for 400$ or 350€ after taxes just won't do it. And only a above camera won't do it, because many don't care and Android has them too.

And THIS ONE doesen't make it. In fact i see the 730 as the much more competive product, this one is a FAIL.

Equal in specs? That's too pathetic.

iPhone's specs are not even close to the topmost flagships on Android and it still doesn't care.

It's all about UX, not specs.

Edit 1: I still remember people crying 5 months ago about 512 RAM on 630/635, and still these devices sell pretty well according to AdDuplex and other sources.

Ilasor

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Your defense is that other low-end phones cost more, but that doesn't change the fact that marketing this as "high-end" is an utter lie.

I agree with you, the 830 is not "high-end" and not "affordable high-end" eighter. The U.S market is a hard market for every mid range device, but both the S5 Mini and the One Mini 2 are widely available across europe. As Samsung is the larget smartphone OEM and a lot of people actually buy its galaxy minis - overpriced or not - the comparison is quiet appropriate. There are "low end" devices worse than the 830 that are sold for more. Period.

I see that the Moto G is much cheaper, but except for the Snapdragon 400 and the 720p resolution, they are diffrent devices. The 830 features 16gb, microSD, LTE, better design/build quality, hardware navigation, camera key, wireless charging and a high end camera (while the Moto G cam is garbage). Maybe it's a little bit overprieced, time will tell, but it is no way on the same level as a Moto G.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't cry, there will be other phones that will support Asphalt 8.

Its a bummer though that we have to wait when this 830 should have been able to outperform the 820 when it comes to gaming.

I can live without glance so 930 my next phone will be.
This phone will only appeal to people coming from 5/6/7 series or blind fanboys.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I too believe Lumia 830 will fail like Lumia 820.but Lumia 730 will bring all the market share for wp 8.it I truly a mid range superman from branded oe.hail Lumia 730.lumia 830 killer.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Its a bummer though that we have to wait when this 830 should have been able to outperform the 820 when it comes to gaming.

So you're one of those, who are always waiting and expecting a camera with rainbow horses instead of flash, right?
Again, you get what you pay for. You want to play games, but you don't want to pay for it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
One word: 630

This phone, as beautiful as it may be, costs more then 3 times the 630, yet includes the same CPU.

Sure there are marginal upgrades like 1GB of RAM, better cameras, and a slightly nicer display, but who will pay THAT much more for a handful of upgrades and a similar, if not identical experience?

The 830 is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I want it... Just not at the $350 US (approx) price point.

That is nexus money for what is most certainly NOT a flagship device.

That leaves me to my last point, and that is the marketing. This is the first time I have watched a presentation by MS/Nokia and felt genuinely misled. The word flagship should never have been uttered, and this phone should have been $199.

Congrats on another dud, MS.

When the 830 was announced with those amazing specifications I thought that it might put my Nexus 5 to shame.

The camera on the 830 could be possibly better however this isn't the best bang of the buck device that you can get for $350.

I am a bit disappointed, but on the plus side it has a nice design.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
People definitely expect way too much for way too less money.
Remember, for a quality product, you get what you pay for.

I don't know. Except for the camera, the 730 is almost the same phone, but it costs $200 less. It's hard to explain why the 830 should be worth that much more. I can't. Can you?

Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes? MS could even have added that $30 on top of the 830's current asking price, and all of WPC would still be raving it.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
According to Paul Thurott, both phones will not be available in the US.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-pho...ces-announces-new-lumias-accessories-firmware

If this is true. I'm getting iPhone 6. I'm as loyal as you can get but with a L920 on AT&T I have had enough. Money's not even an issue for me as I'm looking to buy an off contract flagship anyway, but right now I literally have the money in my hand with no next step product to get. If MS/Nokia comes out with anything before iPhone 6 gets old I'll consider coming back then.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So you're the kind of person that likes devolution.

Price isn't an issue for me concerning the 830.
Its a step back from the 820 when it should have been an improvement.
I'll be upgrading to a 930 when I am able to contract wise.
Just disappointed that my 820 can run GT Racing 2, Halo Spartan Assault acceptably and the 830 won't.

Heck I want an orange 930 so i'll have to buy it off contract.

Pathetic attempt really

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. Except for the camera, the 730 is almost the same phone, but it costs $200 less. It's hard to explain why the 830 should be worth that much more. I can't. Can you?

Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes? MS could even have added that $30 on top of the 830's current asking price, and all of WPC would still be raving it.

Oh please, not again specs.

General consumer doesn't care about specs (almost). And you will never find the best of the best of the bang for the buck, because of different manufacturers, OEMs, OS, etc.

BTW speaking about specs, what's the prime cost of the iPhone 5s and SGS5? And what's their actual price please..?

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Furthermore, a Snapdragon 801 costs an OEM ~$30. Now that WP supports it, would it not have been worthwhile to include it, even if just for marketing purposes?

yeah maybe.. or maybe with a SD800 the phone is too thin to handle the heat? I'd like to think there is a technical reason behind that, but we will never know it for sure :( Hopefully someone in berlin had this question too..

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Rainbow horses?????

Sorry cream puff but you way off the mark there!!!

You said you had to wait (I don't know for what). Nobody did promise you nothing for the 830, so why didn't you buy something that already exists? Even on a different platform, huh?
That's what I'm saying.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You said you had to wait (I don't know for what). Nobody did promise you nothing for the 830, so why didn't you buy something that already exists? Even on a different platform, huh?
That's what I'm saying.

Have to wait for MS to give us a decent phone that has all the features like SD card, glance etc upgraded CPU/GPU.

The 830 is a nice design and more pleasing to my eye than the 930 but thats not really important.

I wished they had kept the 830 in line with the 930 like they did back with the 820/920 but since general consumers like you don't care about specs so MS can fool you with flagship marketing BS.

Since nothings on the horizon a 930 it will be come December.

Orange :)

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Have to wait for MS to give us a decent phone that has all the features like SD card, glance etc upgraded CPU/GPU.

The 830 is a nice design and more pleasing to my eye than the 930 but thats not really important.

I wished they had kept the 830 in line with the 930 like they did back with the 820/920 but since general consumers like you don't care about specs so MS can fool you with flagship marketing BS.

Since nothings on the horizon a 930 it will be come December.

Orange :)

You can find everything in the 1520 (even the touch issues lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans