Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh please, not again specs.

General consumer doesn't care about specs (almost). And you will never find the best of the best of the bang for the buck, because of different manufacturers, OEMs, OS, etc.

BTW speaking about specs, what's the prime cost of the iPhone 5s and SGS5? And what's their actual price please..?

I don't think it's that easy - especially for a system how NEEDS TO BE BETTER/CHEAPER to succeed. The average joy may not care but the salesman does ("What, a 830? - It doesen't even have FULLHD but the Note 4 has QHD, and such a slow SoC"). Markest proove again and again that WinPhones where only sucessful when they really offerd something special (920 - wireless charging, pure-view, sensitive touch up-to-date specs) or where priced competitive (520). The 830 is just "nice" and more-or-less fairly priced - THAT WON'T be enough.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a big jump in functionality between the 830 and 630. Now, between the 830 and 735, not so much. Better camera, wireless charging, slightly bigger screen seems to be about it. I'm not sure they are going to be enough to tempt people to spend an extra €110 (and despite complaints that marketing the 73x as the selfie phone is banal and trite, it is exactly this marketing plus it's low price that is going to make it fly off the shelves)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem I see, is that Qualcomm doesn't have anything in between a snapdragon 400 and a snapdragon 800.
you either have a high end chipset, or a low end. No middle ground. There is a snapdragon 600, but anyone with any tech knowledge KNOWS that chipset is a rebranded Snapdragon S4 quad core paired with an adreno 320 GPU (yes that's right, this so-called midrange chip is actually the quad core version of the chips found in the 92x series and the 1020).

BEsides, if you look at the competition, they do the same thing. You have a high end flagship status handset, and everything below it has low end internals.......you wouldn't know it cuz its all branded the same (galaxy S5 mini, htc One mini, etc).

Im not gonna argue why it will or will not fail, cuz I honestly don't know, and I have a 930 and this 830 would **** me off if it came with the SD800 for half the price.....

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's that easy - especially for a system how NEEDS TO BE BETTER/CHEAPER to succeed. The average joy may not care but the salesman does ("What, a 830? - It doesen't even have FULLHD but the Note 4 has QHD, and such a slow SoC"). Markest proove again and again that WinPhones where only sucessful when they really offerd something special (920 - wireless charging, pure-view, sensitive touch up-to-date specs) or where priced competitive (520). The 830 is just "nice" and more-or-less fairly priced - THAT WON'T be enough.

The problem is much more complex than the price & features.
It's much more about perception. Just look at the iPhone: quite expensive, not so much features (fingerprint sensor, really?), but the perception is much much better.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The 830 is simply not a flagship, even though it looks pretty great for around $400. I just cracked my 920's digitizer (though it's still perfectly usable, just annoying) and was hoping to upgrade to a new handset. However, for the price, while it's fine, it doesn't seem as good a value as getting another 920 since you can now get it for around $200. The 920 has a better CPU and screen while the 830 is thinner and lighter... used to the 920 as I am, I think I'd rather spend half the money to get a phone that's just as good as the 830.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh please, not again specs.

General consumer doesn't care about specs (almost). And you will never find the best of the best of the bang for the buck, because of different manufacturers, OEMs, OS, etc.

You are completely missing the point.

It's not about convincing the average consumer. It's about convincing the store rep, the enthusiast, and the tech press. Those are the people that ultimately help Joe consumer decide which device to purchase, and Joe won't be getting this if it doesn't come recommended by them!

Nobody is expecting the best bang for your buck on top of the line devices. But neither is this such a device.

Again, can you explain what it is that justifies the price premium over the 730? I can't.

On the other hand, it's $100 shy of being firmly in flagship territory, yet there is little about it that suggests that is where it belongs.

I'm sure it's a great device with a lot of high quality peripheral hardware. It's just that at $440, it lacks marketability.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is basically a 920 that was released 2 years ago... Nothing special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Meanwhile, the One Mini is another tough comparison, as it's again not found anywhere in this country. It sells for a bit over the 830, but that's not a big deal beyond saying it's similarly overpriced.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., there is a direct comparison. The Moto G carries a Snapdragon 400, and it rolls out the door in an 8-GB model for $219. I don't see anything in the 830 to justify a price $200 (or more) higher.

The HTC One Mini 2 sells on Verizon as the HTC Remix. It's a nice phone, and it retails for $449. So the pricing for the 830 is in line with this phone.

The Moto G is a great deal. No question. But I see the 730 contesting with the Moto G, not the 830.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe they are calling it an affordable flagship... Well for one, it would be a flagship if it was your best phone, but the 930 and 1520 are better, and it only has 16gigs of memory and a S400 chip. I wish the insides were better :(

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One Mini 2 sells on Verizon as the HTC Remix. It's a nice phone, and it retails for $449. So the pricing for the 830 is in line with this phone.

The Moto G is a great deal. No question. But I see the 730 contesting with the Moto G, not the 830.

Another issue that Microsoft is facing with WP is that even with all else being equal, to the general public Android is still more desirable than WP. It's 30x more popular, has more apps and thus more functionality, and has had more time for recognition and maturity. In order to even start to compete, a WP device will have to sell cheaper than its Android equivalent. And let's face it, with the Moto G/E, Nexus devices, and newcomers like Oneplus One, that's going to be very difficult to do.

Contracts are another issue. Most flagships sell in the $100 - $200 range on contract. That serves to equalize the pricing of almost all high end devices, including the latest iPhone and Samsung phablet.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I love how some people seem to be taking criticisms really poorly. Okay, right now, Nokia event is already done, there are still going to be MANY MANY companies giving their speeches, and MANY phones are going to be released.
The HTC desire 820 for example, has a 5.5 inch HD screen, with a 64bit processor, 13mp camera (i know the 830 might be a teeny bit better but who cares), 2gb of ram and an expected lower price tag. If im an average consumer, then all my friends are already using Android which means im already leaning towards Android, WHY SHOULD I GET AN 830? I see 0 reasons. Absolutely 0 reasons. Or i could pick up and old nexus 5 with an 800 processor which would KILL the 830.
I can even hear the voices of the pocketnow people who were doing a hands on for the phones and they sound very disappointed.
Now with that said, the 730 looks like a product that is actually worth the money.
Oh, and I also find the comparison between the iphone 5s and galaxy s5 to be embarrassing as hell for Nokia, they havent touched on anything about the performance of the phone throughout the whole speech, they didnt even state the ppi. They just talked about how the 830 is cheaper than an S5 and an iphone 5s. Like wtf? Its cheaper yes, but other than the camera department its not better.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
With the 820, it was largely a case of substance over style. It may not have looked like much, but "she's got it where it counts" (or did, when it was released.

With the 830, it's largely style over substance. The design and materials are great, but that SD400 is a huge disappointment when I look down market to the Lumia 630 and see the same basic SoC (albeit w/out LTE). Maybe I can't get passed the CPU to appreciate the camera, removable battery and sd card support. Maybe I'm wrong about being underwhelmed. Then again, there's always hoping that this ends up being $250 by the holidays.

Right now, though, I see a lot of compelling options from android that have more competitive specs and prices. This is unfortunate because I really want to stay with a WP device.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Every time a new phone has been released I always hear the same complaints, ...no removable battery, no sd card slot. oh and sometimes no metal frame.
Maybe Microsoft is listening. I'm actually impressed with this effort, maybe a little disappointed that it didn't have 20mp camera but 10mp pureview is good. Removable battery, still with wireless charging, and expandable memory up to 128gb. All that and thinner and lighter. I'd say this is a big step in the right direction.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I love how some people seem to be taking criticisms really poorly. Okay, right now, Nokia event is already done, there are still going to be MANY MANY companies giving their speeches, and MANY phones are going to be released.
The HTC desire 820 for example, has a 5.5 inch HD screen, with a 64bit processor, 13mp camera (i know the 830 might be a teeny bit better but who cares), 2gb of ram and an expected lower price tag. If im an average consumer, then all my friends are already using Android which means im already leaning towards Android, WHY SHOULD I GET AN 830? I see 0 reasons. Absolutely 0 reasons. Or i could pick up and old nexus 5 with an 800 processor which would KILL the 830.
I can even hear the voices of the pocketnow people who were doing a hands on for the phones and they sound very disappointed.
Now with that said, the 730 looks like a product that is actually worth the money.
Oh, and I also find the comparison between the iphone 5s and galaxy s5 to be embarrassing as hell for Nokia, they havent touched on anything about the performance of the phone throughout the whole speech, they didnt even state the ppi. They just talked about how the 830 is cheaper than an S5 and an iphone 5s. Like wtf? Its cheaper yes, but other than the camera department its not better.

That sums it up all. Market will show if we are correct but i'm really scared it will proof we are right. I can see the 730 as a medium-scale sucess, but upper midrang and highend territory is totally lost this season - as it was already in 2013 with the phatetic 925&1020 linup.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Every time a new phone has been released I always hear the same complaints, ...no removable battery, no sd card slot. oh and sometimes no metal frame.
Maybe Microsoft is listening. I'm actually impressed with this effort, maybe a little disappointed that it didn't have 20mp camera but 10mp pureview is good. Removable battery, still with wireless charging, and expandable memory up to 128gb. All that and thinner and lighter. I'd say this is a big step in the right direction.

Yes, you are right. AND EVERY TIME since about the 920 and with the exeption of the clever 520 PEOPLE COMPLAINING WHERE RIGHT and ALL DEVICES FAILED more-or-less. 925, 720, 1020, ICON/930 ...

WinPhone has to deliver MORE - not LESS or the same - it's hard, but it won't work otherwise. As already stated the 830 isn't a bad device BUT NOTHING SPECIAL (even the cam may be decent/above average but given the sensor size no way it will blow up other phones by fare), IT DELIVERS NO MUST HAVE for a 350$/300€ phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If priced correctly, especially in the US with the contract carriers like VZW and AT&T, this phone can sell. Some people don't understand that what Nokia has done is use merely upgrade all the phones it has laid out in its portfolio with the 530, 630, 730, 830 and 930. That is smart in that it buys them time to really come up with something on the high end market and put out devices that may age a bit better than the previous S4 chip set.

People forget that these companies are in it to make money. Right now if MSFT add enough stuff to the OS on this newer hardware, these phone may have a better chance. Personally, I like the line they drew: 7x and down don't get the Pureview Tech, with 8x and up does. And for all the people talking about a Nexus killer, please understand that the Nexus phone is meant to be a developer phone first - a chassis reference point for Android. I've owned, rooted and tested stuff on all 5 Nexus models to this point - any real android enthusiast will tell you that.

If priced correctly, this will fare better than the 820/822/810 before it.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Every source I've checked (including Thurott) has said this phone is not coming to the US. If you believe GSM Arena (and I do), the frequencies are not LTE compatible in the US. They were not trying to impress the American market with this phone. It's for Europe and Asia. Maybe mid market phones like this sell better there? Who knows. But for now,I keep waiting. This ticked so many boxes for me, but the old processor and non-US LTE are deal breakers.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Right now, the word is that the 830 (and 735/730) will not be coming to the US.. apparently "global" does not include the US...
shame - was looking for a TMo compatible phone... now may have to wait again.
Paul Thurrot is reporting this...
in text later in the same article he does mention the following:

"I know what you're thinking. What about the United States?! What about a new flagship device, especially on AT&T or whatever carrier you prefer? I asked these questions, of course. But there's nothing to say yet: These three phones, the two accessories, and Denim are what Microsoft is announcing this month"

I bolded the text above myself... curious he said that - and in a tweet he also mentions it being suicide to announce a flagship phone around the Apple IPhone 6 announcement... whether you agree or not - he does then later state that the 830 is not what he would call a flagship.
Interestingly, he mentions that he was able to handle the 830/735 last week and his articles are based on that even though he isnt at IFA

Are we looking at an announcement/introduction in October?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-pho...ces-announces-new-lumias-accessories-firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss