Lumia 830 disapointment, and why it will fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830 will not be a proper upgrade from SOC/hardware point of view, the GPU Adreno 305 in Lumia 830/Snapdragon 400 is weaker than 2+ year old Adreno 225 in Lumia 820/ Snapdragon S4 Plus. So, yeah, i will definitely not downgrade from 820 to 830 at the same price as the SOC performance should have doubled in 2 years time not regressed. All this could have been avoided by using Snapdragon 800 just like Lumia 820 shared Snapdragon S4 Plus with Lumai 920,925 etc

That's so true...
Who will buy a 830 when a old 820 has more gaming performance ?
Is there still a sane person working for ms/Nokia ?
Flagship = NO
affordable = NO (it's to expensive compared to the competition)

830 = FAIL

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 830 will not be a proper upgrade from SOC/hardware point of view, the GPU Adreno 305 in Lumia 830/Snapdragon 400 is weaker than 2+ year old Adreno 225 in Lumia 820/ Snapdragon S4 Plus. So, yeah, i will definitely not downgrade from 820 to 830 at the same price as the SOC performance should have doubled in 2 years time not regressed. All this could have been avoided by using Snapdragon 800 just like Lumia 820 shared Snapdragon S4 Plus with Lumai 920,925 etc

You cant compare a relatively low midrange chipset with an old high end one. It still takes about 2 years before a low end chipset can outperform a high end one. the SD400 is not on the same target market as the S4 Pro was back then. The SD800 is what took over the S4 Pro's place. The SD400 takes over whatever the old generation low midrange hardware was. Its unfortunate that the 830 was equipped with this piece instead of an SD800, but that would render the 930 fairly useless if it did.
In all honesty they should have put an SD600 in there if they wanted to make it truly midrange. But I don't even know if that chipset exists anymore.....Qualcomm seems to have only high end chipsets and low end chipsets and no in betweens. And even then the SD600 was just a rebranded quad core S4 pro so its really just older technology anyways.

Besides, you're not getting a midrange phone to play games...if you want to play games you buy the best performing option out there and that's anything equipped with an SD800/801/805 chipset.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You cant compare a relatively low midrange chipset with an old high end one. It still takes about 2 years before a low end chipset can outperform a high end one. the SD400 is not on the same target market as the S4 Pro was back then. The SD800 is what took over the S4 Pro's place. The SD400 takes over whatever the old generation low midrange hardware was. Its unfortunate that the 830 was equipped with this piece instead of an SD800, but that would render the 930 fairly useless if it did.
In all honesty they should have put an SD600 in there if they wanted to make it truly midrange. But I don't even know if that chipset exists anymore.....Qualcomm seems to have only high end chipsets and low end chipsets and no in betweens. And even then the SD600 was just a rebranded quad core S4 pro so its really just older technology anyways.

Besides, you're not getting a midrange phone to play games...if you want to play games you buy the best performing option out there and that's anything equipped with an SD800/801/805 chipset.
you are correct sd 600 would be a perfect choice however they are not produced any more. Qualcomm is currently starting (maybe already started) production of sd615 which will be targeted ad mid range devices, however it is a 64bit processor and wp8.1 does not comply with it yet, lets hope threshold will bring the support for 64bit. I believe That's when Lumia 1030 will come, QUALCOMM sd810 is 64 bit and support camera up 55MP. Hope threshold brings some cool game APIs too something like directx mobie.

Bruce Moellendick

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Nokia 920 for 2 years and I know it is a better value than this over priced "whatever kind of ship" phone. Especially with all the great photo editing apps available. Has anyone else read that the talk to wake Cortana feature will require the Snapdragon 800? If I am right about that, this phone gets left at the starting gate before the race is ever run

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty they should have put an SD600 in there if they wanted to make it truly midrange. But I don't even know if that chipset exists anymore.....Qualcomm

It's kind of dead. A lot of people have been mentioning it, but it requires more power to run than a SD800 and is barely cheaper. It makes neither technical nor economical sense to use that SoC.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I remember when AT&T launched the 820/920 in Nov 2012, I believe the 920 came with a free Nokia wireless charging plate for $99, the $820 $49 with a free wireless charging shell.

I started with Windows Phone by buying a 520 in July 2013. Then, I sold my 520 and picked up an 820 in March 2014. I've been happy with the 820, which I use as a backup phone/media device.

I'm generally prefer Android, but still love my 820. At this point, I'm not ready to upgrade my 820. Now, if I could get another phone, which I am contemplating, I'd get either a Samsung S5/Note 4/Note Edge/Moto X2 (depending on what it shows tomorrow) at the moment. If I didn't have any Windows Phone and had to pick up something at the current moment (among the newer Windows Phone 635, 730 (don't care about selfies), 830, 930, 1020, 1520), I think I'd lean towards the 830 for things that hit the right spots for me or maybe a 1520. The 830 has a decent processor (fast enough for me), 1 GB RAM, qi wireless capable, Glance, double tap to wake, nice camera w/ OIS, removable battery (and maybe decent battery life @ 2200 mAH), microSD card, camera button. The 635 looks nice for something that I can catch ~ $80 on sale. I'm sure the 830 will drop in price fairly quickly. If AT&T offers it, I'm guessing it debuts @ $99, and will start to drop in price fairly rapidly. I'm not sure I'd get it at $350, but I'd give it some time to catch it on sale.

Last edited:

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes they will have to drop the price something chronic to get it to sell.

A 930 can be had for not much more and even that is falling in price.
Most people I know have the latest iPhone and high end androids.
This phone won't bring them over to WP thats for sure.
They will look at the 930 or 1520 if they were curious about WP.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
basically anyone not on Verizon is still sitting around with their thumbs in their rears waiting for MS to figure out a high end offering other than the 6" 1520 (which is honestly just an impractical size for many people). I'm sure we'll hear word about the L830 making its way to the US (or maybe not!), and if that's the case, then i'm going to quietly dream the impractical dream that it will somehow be improved upon from the version that was unveiled today.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It does have the distinction of being the first sub-6" caveat-free upgrade from the 920.

No, no, no. There are caveats all over the place going from the 920 to the 830.

--The SoC doesn't seem to be better, and might actually be worse for commonplace tasks (which won't use the extra cores, putting the higher clock of the 920's SoC as the meaningful spec).
--The built-in storage is halved (sure, the microSD is there, but some of us just plain don't care for the things).
--The resolution is less, despite the larger screen.
--If you're on AT&T, you will be sacrificing wireless charging (AT&T won't sell devices with Qi charging because they are part of the PMA now).
--The 920 one currently has doesn't require signing a 2-year contract.

The 830's got camera resolution, microSD, and a removable back to claim as the big selling points to upgrade. Those aren't anything meaningful to most of us, when the cost is 2 years with the device. I'd rather stay out-of-contract and get a high-end device to replace my 920 than compromise hard for the 830, which I also find to be a bit less-attractive, because I don't like the aluminum.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I remember when AT&T launched the 820/920 in Nov 2012, I believe the 920 came with a free Nokia wireless charging plate for $99, the $820 $49 with a free wireless charging shell.

Yep, and within 2 weeks, the 920 was on-sale for $50 on-contract, so early adopters could get a refund. I got a $50 refund for my 920, meaning it was $50 on-contract and came with a $50 accessory for free.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For $350 I recently bought a OnePlus One with 64G internal storage 5.5" 1080p screen etc etc kills this 830 in every aspect except probably low light camera performance, and I do prefer WP OS over Android (though CyanogenMod is not a bad option). Oh and I was able to buy it in the US. Amazing...

#thebetatestisover in the US it would seem.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem with that mindset:

Verizon: The Icon wouldn't cost much more than the 830, yet it would be a major step forward in performance, making the 830 a lame duck of sorts.
AT&T: The wireless charging will get stripped out, and the device is going to have similar internals to the 1020, which boasts a better camera and should keep the Qi inside (I can't remember if AT&T took it out). What's more, the 830 doesn't offer much over 2012's 920 and 820, making the upgrade hard to defend.
T-Mobile: Similar to AT&T, but with the Qi intact. What's the meaningful benefit here over keeping a 925 or an 810? Well, I think they stopped offering firmware updates for the 810, and IDK if the 925 had the Qi, so there's some potential.
Sprint: They can't do jack to support Windows Phone, so there's no reason to have faith in them now.
I don't think the price in North America would be higher than $350 off-contract, the cost of goods across regions are usually different (see variances in Xbox One prices).

As for Qi charging, it's enabled via Qi charging shell on the Lumia 830. So even if the carrier (e.g. AT&T) doesn't support the standard itself, one can potentially gain it by buying the right accessories.

And the Lumia 830 isn't a high-end successor, it's essentially a mid-range phone with nice bells and whistles (such as PureView). I'd say the new design and HD screen are a meaningful update over the Lumia 810.

Alessandro Dut

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is really trying hard to fail. Thats funny to watch.
I feel sorry for those who are willing to buy a 830 (actually, even that 730 is way off in its price) But i knew that the second they launched 930 for U$ 600.

Please Microsoft, you are not fighting iPhones, you are fighting android phones, take a look at the same hardware phones out there and put your price according to it.

I Love my 1520, paid U$ 500 for it, wasnt cheap since i could get a droid with same hardware (minus the camera) for less than $400. Now the android cameras are getting better and Lumias arent that kind of king in photos anymore, i am not considering getting another Windows Phone if they continue with that crap price.

Might even consider selling my xbox one since i only bought it for the Windows Phone + OneDrive + Xbox interaction which doesnt work by the way outside US with OneDrive bein so worse than gdrive...

My wife and sister in law are also giving up WP... its sad, people did give a chance to Microsoft but they are faling too much.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is really trying hard to fail. Thats funny to watch.
I feel sorry for those who are willing to buy a 830 (actually, even that 730 is way off in its price) But i knew that the second they launched 930 for U$ 600.

Please Microsoft, you are not fighting iPhones, you are fighting android phones, take a look at the same hardware phones out there and put your price according to it.

I Love my 1520, paid U$ 500 for it, wasnt cheap since i could get a droid with same hardware (minus the camera) for less than $400. Now the android cameras are getting better and Lumias arent that kind of king in photos anymore, i am not considering getting another Windows Phone if they continue with that crap price.

Might even consider selling my xbox one since i only bought it for the Windows Phone + OneDrive + Xbox interaction which doesnt work by the way outside US with OneDrive bein so worse than gdrive...

My wife and sister in law are also giving up WP... its sad, people did give a chance to Microsoft but they are faling too much.

The product is IMO better than ever right now, but I can see why that wouldn't be enough. I don't really see the point of leaving now though...

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The heavy games might lag, in every other case it should be fine.
People just like to cry and beg for top specs on cheap devices.

You should just test it yourself in the store for the most objective conclusion.
Its not just about games, its about general use of the phone, compare how fast a 1520 opens an app vs 630, the performance is noticeably smoother and faster.
and also the mention that it is a cheap devices? 350 euros is NOT cheap for a SoC 400 period, i dont care if it has a 50mp camera, and 2k display, if you are going to dump in a crappy processor which is as fast as an Asus Zenwatch, there is NO reason why i should pay that much for a phone.
Why can LG put a SoC800 in their nexus more than a YEAR ago and Nokia can't do it TODAY.
Its not just about phones that would last this generation, its about future proofing the phone for sales even after the phone stops production. Even if they jacked the price up and popped an SoC 800 under the hood, it will be considered a worthy competitor for many years to come. Not a phone that is already DATED on the FIRST day of release.
Who on earth thought this was a good idea, i mean really. This phone is a joke, Nokia should be ashamed of themselves. They took 2 years to make an 820 successor and its no faster than the older phone.
And also i must stress again, the general population is using Android, the general population is not going to "try" windows phone, if there is no compelling reason for them to buy a windows phone.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Buy a 730. The 830 is for people that want flagship features, not a flagship experience. If this isn't the phone for you then just get a 1520.

ShridharM

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a nice package overall and won't fail at all.
To all people crying about Lumia 830 and Moto G being same and think that 830 not any value addition, here's a list of features that 830 offers that the Moto G doesn't :
1) Bigger and better display (5" compared to 4.5") with ClearBlack.
2) More internal storage and expansion capability upto 128 GB.
3) Great design and build quality (It's a Nokia after all)
4) Premium looks thanks to the Metal frame.
5) Hell lot better Camera with PureView and OIS. (Let's not talk about Moto G camera)
6) Glance Screen (I personally find it extremely useful)
7) Dolby digital sound.
8) 3 High performance Mics for surround sound recording.

For these features, the price is bound to be more than Moto G and is justifiable.
I currently have a Lumia 820 and I am almost certain that I'm picking the 830.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
830 is the flagship for the mediocre.

Its camera cannot compete with the 930 and above
Its SOC certainly cannot
Its storage memory is half what you can get in top models exception being the SD support
Its screen is not comparable to the top of the line Lumias

Maybe the battery is the big deal lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6