Status
Not open for further replies.

Saeedo Sefrini

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
830 is the flagship for the mediocre.

Its camera cannot compete with the 930 and above
Its SOC certainly cannot
Its storage memory is half what you can get in top models exception being the SD support
Its screen is not comparable to the top of the line Lumias

Maybe the battery is the big deal lol

Are you seriously comparing the 930 to the 830??? Have you forgotten the price difference between both?

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
They fooled me into buying the 820. It's a great phone but definitely overpriced. I bought it because it was too good to resist at the time.

Now, this 830, is also following the 820. With that pure view camera and that awesome build, they are fooling me again.

MUST.....NOT......BUY...........NO...I....WANT...TO.....

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a nice package overall and won't fail at all.
To all people crying about Lumia 830 and Moto G being same and think that 830 not any value addition, here's a list of features that 830 offers that the Moto G doesn't :
1) Bigger and better display (5" compared to 4.5") with ClearBlack.
2) More internal storage and expansion capability upto 128 GB.
3) Great design and build quality (It's a Nokia after all)
4) Premium looks thanks to the Metal frame.
5) Hell lot better Camera with PureView and OIS. (Let's not talk about Moto G camera)
6) Glance Screen (I personally find it extremely useful)
7) Dolby digital sound.
8) 3 High performance Mics for surround sound recording.

For these features, the price is bound to be more than Moto G and is justifiable.
I currently have a Lumia 820 and I am almost certain that I'm picking the 830.
1) False, not true anymore on Moto G2
2) False, not true anymore on Moto G2
3) Completely subjective
4) Completely subjective
5) We do not know that yet, but i think the 830 will beat it there. Probably the only area where it will beat it.
6) Not a lot of people will know it even exists when they are shopping for phones. But ill give you that its a good feature nonetheless. However i think there are many Android third party apps might have already have that.
7) Really? This is a feature you can't live without?
8) Again, considered in the camera department. Refer to number 5.

Let me tell you something interesting about the G2. The price for the G2 as of now is about half..yes HALF OF WHAT THE 830 COSTS and it has nearly exactly the same ppi, exactly the same screen size, exactly the same processor. The average buyer is not going to fork out the price of another moto G for a phone that is slightly prettier, they're just not.

The new Moto G vs Moto G: spec by spec comparison | Pocketnow

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Its not just about games, its about general use of the phone, compare how fast a 1520 opens an app vs 630, the performance is noticeably smoother and faster.
and also the mention that it is a cheap devices? 350 euros is NOT cheap for a SoC 400 period, i dont care if it has a 50mp camera, and 2k display, if you are going to dump in a crappy processor which is as fast as an Asus Zenwatch, there is NO reason why i should pay that much for a phone.
Why can LG put a SoC800 in their nexus more than a YEAR ago and Nokia can't do it TODAY.
Its not just about phones that would last this generation, its about future proofing the phone for sales even after the phone stops production. Even if they jacked the price up and popped an SoC 800 under the hood, it will be considered a worthy competitor for many years to come. Not a phone that is already DATED on the FIRST day of release.
Who on earth thought this was a good idea, i mean really. This phone is a joke, Nokia should be ashamed of themselves. They took 2 years to make an 820 successor and its no faster than the older phone.
And also i must stress again, the general population is using Android, the general population is not going to "try" windows phone, if there is no compelling reason for them to buy a windows phone.

Your completely right but i guess there are different factors Nokia doing this - because this Phone was developed when Nokia was on their own or at least had to take into account beeing alone:

• They intended to make more money with it by using a S400 instead og S800 and don't get the point that it's price will drop much faster because of the SoC, they did it several times like with 820 resolution, 720 RAM, 925 16Gb no SD, 930 Glance and especially SD and so on - all things where they could have done better even economically. Their controlling department seems to be very strong, because i guess many engineers wanted it to have an S800 insteed.
  • They seem to be scared they eat to much in the 930 sales when developing this. What they don't could take into account is that THERE ARE ONLY PATHETIC 930 sales when the 830 is released. But they couldn't have known when they designed this.
  • Most of ALL - "McLAREN". They never intended to ride the train in X-Mas 2014 against iPHone 6, Z3, Note 4, G3 and others only with the 830, but now they have to do it and they will fail badly
  • They didn't see the Moto G developing into that area like it's now the case, exept maybe for the camera but that's not all

I strongly believe that they would like to include a S800 now, because that would be enough to make it a really package for most peaple - beeing still much cheaper than other flags. But that's to late and as mentioned when they developed this phone there where much different circumstances included, they didn't know about yet.

Last edited:

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
  • They seem to be scared they eat to much in the 930 sales when developing this. What they don't could take into account is that THERE ARE ONLY PATATHIC 930 sales when the 830 is released. But they couldn't have known when they designed this.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the logic used for the choice in SOC. Then they have to rely on the marketing department to come up with this "Flagship" bs to make it fly.

For 430 euros they could have had my money if they had included S800. Its a phone for the 3rd world to get excited about. The rest of us looking for common sense in an upgrade have only the 930 and 1520 to look at.

The 830 wil sell as much as the 820 did. Pretty poorly.
In a years time the old 92x series will still have more WP market share than the 830

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have to correct it Lumia 730 will sell great and it will kill Lumia 830.earlier atleast Lumia 720 had only 512 MB ram compared to Lumia 820 1 gb ram.now both Lumia 730 and 830 have same ram.so Lumia 830 will fail miserably compared to even Lumia 820.hail Lumia 730 real superman.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
One word: 630

This phone, as beautiful as it may be, costs more then 3 times the 630, yet includes the same CPU.

Sure there are marginal upgrades like 1GB of RAM, better cameras, and a slightly nicer display, but who will pay THAT much more for a handful of upgrades and a similar, if not identical experience?

The 830 is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I want it... Just not at the $350 US (approx) price point.

That is nexus money for what is most certainly NOT a flagship device.

That leaves me to my last point, and that is the marketing. This is the first time I have watched a presentation by MS/Nokia and felt genuinely misled. The word flagship should never have been uttered, and this phone should have been $199.

Congrats on another dud, MS.
All the "marginal upgrades" make for a 10X better phone. I would never consider the 630, but the 730 seems perfect...even more so when contrasted with the 830

Saeedo Sefrini

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Read the first line of my post its no flagship thats what I take issue with.

That's exactly what I was saying as well, the 830 is not meant to be a flagship, its meant to give people mid specs for a reasonable price. Its somewhere in between low end and high end in terms of specs and price.

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have to correct it Lumia 730 will sell great and it will kill Lumia 830.earlier atleast Lumia 720 had only 512 MB ram compared to Lumia 820 1 gb ram.now both Lumia 730 and 830 have same ram.so Lumia 830 will fail miserably compared to even Lumia 820.hail Lumia 730 real superman.

That's what i believe too.

I can see the 730/735 becoming a "ressonable" success, especially in EMA's. For the 830 - at least if it's not discounted heavily - i don't see it.

Problem again: THAT won't be enough for WinPhone and MS/Nokia will conclude bull like "Affordable WinPhones sells better, 830 failed but 730 did well" or something along that line. NO, 830 fails because in it's playing field above 300$ specs Matter, there are compromisses which are OK like 720p, 1 Gb RAM but NO WAY a S400.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Yeah the 730 will do well and is a worthy replacement for the 720.
At least MS/Nokia got one phone priced and specced correctly.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I believe lumia 730 will defeat the newly announced moto g 2 atleast in India.lumia 730 will batter the moto g 2 which is same as moto g even if price remain the same.lumia 730 is the best mid ranger ever.hail Lumia 730.

Ilasor

May 7, 2013
Visit site
However, my whole point here is that the 830 basically adds more storage and a better camera, yet its expected price is twice that of the Moto G.
My point is that both only share the display and s400. Apart from that, the 830 is better in nearly every way. For sure, a lot of these features are minor and not equally importent (hardware navigation, better sound, glance screen, wireless charging, more premium design, LTE) to anyone, but they add up together with the superior camera and more storage to an overall better device.
With the recently announced The Moto G 2 (without LTE by the way) being released for 200€, the 330€ for the 830 is not double the price. It's not that overpriced as a lot of you guys claim, but it's not cheap eighter.

The 820 released at $350 unlocked, I think, while the 920 was $450. Fast forward to 2014, and the 830 is supposed to be the successor, it costs $50-100 more than the 820 did when it launched, and it doesn't stack up with the Galaxy S5, from an internals standpoint.
I don't know about U.S. pricing, but in Germany, the 820 was released for 499€ ($645) and the 920 for 649€ ($840). That's 170€ less for the 830! I also don't think that the 830 will be released for more than $350 in the US.

The 630 should never have existed, because what we have here is a 730 and an 830 that are almost the exact same phone, and they're even close to the 630.
Uhm, no. Apart from the S400 SoC, 730/830 are not even remotely close to the 630. I think that you emphasize the SoC to much and ignore everything else. That might be because you'd like to upgrade your old device, hoped for a successor and now the S400 is your the deal breaker. But comparing the 830 to other devices cheaper but also more expensive (one mini 2/ s5 mini), pricing is not too bad.

Last edited:

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
L830 will fail because Moto G have same processor with same resolution.

The only thing L830 have is better Camera.

Tomorrow Moto G2 will announce and it has every thing identical as L830 except camera & still cost $200.

I don't think L830 would be successful.
It's just become an overpriced phone

So what? that is not a strong argument.
First the 830 runs WP 8.1 and Moto G run Android.
Then the 830 has a much much better camera than the pathetic one you find the the Moto G, bigger battery which is also removable, considerably better construction and overall quality, wireless charging and probably the most important no space restriction compared to Moto G's limited and non expandable 8 and 16Gb.

The thing with Moto G2 is that it will only be a minor step foreword.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
One word: 630

This phone, as beautiful as it may be, costs more then 3 times the 630, yet includes the same CPU.

Sure there are marginal upgrades like 1GB of RAM, better cameras, and a slightly nicer display, but who will pay THAT much more for a handful of upgrades and a similar, if not identical experience?

The 830 is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I want it... Just not at the $350 US (approx) price point.

That is nexus money for what is most certainly NOT a flagship device.

That leaves me to my last point, and that is the marketing. This is the first time I have watched a presentation by MS/Nokia and felt genuinely misled. The word flagship should never have been uttered, and this phone should have been $199.

Congrats on another dud, MS.

you do realize ios,BB10,WP handle hardware differently than android
i would have loved a SD800/801 instead of SD400 on the 830 as well but unlike android even the older dual core lumias with 512mb ram ,the iphone with dual core and 1gb ram can beat even most 4-8core android phones because of optimisation
the older lumias also had the same cpu-Snapdragon S4 but i didnt see the 820,720 ,920 fail

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the 730 will do well and is a worthy replacement for the 720.
At least MS/Nokia got one phone priced and specced correctly.

i dont fully agree,while the snapdragon 400 and the 5MP front cam are welcome upgrades, the lack of glance,capacitive keys,dedicated camera button are letdowns,i look forward to upgrading to the 830 in place of my 720 instead

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

i agree but only due to pricing,lack of glance,dedicated camera button,capacitive keys are let downs imho
pricing wise etc yes the 730 is a very very solid buy

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Look again. I own a 820 and I just bought a Moto G LTE for a backup phone. The cost of 209$ from Amazon. The 830 and the moto G LTE have the same processor, both have SD slots and the screens are similar, though the 830 is larger. Granted the 830 has a better camera, wireless charging (my 820 has that), camera key, and a nice build. But you are going to hear from a lot of people about the lack of a HIGHEND processor in the 830 while Microsofts advertising keep insisting this is a highend phone. I think if they had only put even a 600 in the phone very little would have been said about the lack of a HIGHEND processor. Especially when this phone has the same processor as the LOWEND 635 that you can get from AT&T or the Microsoft store for 99$. If they try to sell this for 400$ it will not sell and will confirm how bad Microsoft is at advertising; pushing this as a affordable highend phone. I really wanted this to be my next phone; but with the 400 processor I think I'll have to pass.

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
No, no, no. There are caveats all over the place going from the 920 to the 830.

--The SoC doesn't seem to be better, and might actually be worse for commonplace tasks (which won't use the extra cores, putting the higher clock of the 920's SoC as the meaningful spec).

Well what is the concrete difference will it actually be slower. That is what matters for anybody not "doesn't seem to be".

--The built-in storage is halved (sure, the microSD is there, but some of us just plain don't care for the things).

Who doesn't care about storage?? I see everybody mentions performance and games. Then storage is important.

--The resolution is less, despite the larger screen.
The resolution is much higher compared to lets say the 820. The name of this new phone is Lumia 830?? and we do have a Lumia 930 don't we??
Anyway the difference in scree quality will not be a deal backer for anybody.

--If you're on AT&T, you will be sacrificing wireless charging (AT&T won't sell devices with Qi charging because they are part of the PMA now).

And is that the 830's problem??

--The 920 one currently has doesn't require signing a 2-year contract.

Yeah comparing and old phone with a new one in that regard makes a lot of sense.

The 830's got camera resolution, microSD, and a removable back to claim as the big selling points to upgrade. Those aren't anything meaningful to most of us, when the cost is 2 years with the device. I'd rather stay out-of-contract and get a high-end device to replace my 920 than compromise hard for the 830, which I also find to be a bit less-attractive, because I don't like the aluminum.

If i remember there are some decently priced micromax and similar other phones that come with poor cameras, poor quality and reliability sadly some have removable backs and card slots but they should be great for the "majority" of the people you are taking about.

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Its not just about games, its about general use of the phone, compare how fast a 1520 opens an app vs 630, the performance is noticeably smoother and faster.
Well the 630 does have 4 times less ram so that is a major cause. Compare it to a 830 and the difference will be noticeably smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans